Before School Work/Bell Work & Parents

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Starista, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 11, 2010

Good Morning,

Please let me know what you think of this part of my school day that is honestly difficuly for me to get adjusted to. Perhaps I just have a strong aversion to change and need to learn how to make the best of it -- or perhaps it warrants talking to the admin. :)

At my school, the children have 15 minutes (7:30-7:45 AM) to come inside, get settled, turn in homework, notes, and begin their "daily language/problem solving review.

During this time, parents are also allowed to come into the classroom. In my previous school (this is my 1st year at the new school) the parents had drop off outside and did not even leave their cars.

It is December and this is third grade. Here are my main concerns:

1. I have parents still coming in tat are holding their 3rd graders backpack (they never take home more than 1 text book).

2. I have parents who open their child's daily folder for them and turn homework into the homework basket for them. Or hand me notes. (I really want the kids to do this ~ routine, independence, etc)

3. I have parents who, I feel, speak to me during those 15 minutes about things that either warrant an email or a voice mail or things I reallllllllly don't need to know. Such as: "My daugher had a late night last night -- she may be sleepy!" or "He had a hard time with the math homework last night." Sometimes its cute little stories "You won't believe what my son did last night at baseball!!" I have had parents hand me psychological evals first thing in the AM and ask when it can be finished... again, things I need TIME to fill out and think through. Parents who come in to tell me that they're worried their son might be stealing from a 1st grader... And yes, the kids who are already in the room find these conversations MUCH more interesting than their daily review!

Anyways.. it IS just 15 minutes but it IS first thing and I truly wish the parents would use the email or voicemail or old fashioned note in the kids folder to communicate best with me.

It honestly throws off my morning when a parent comes in and is abrasive or demanding and wants an answer/response ASAP while my students are trying to unpack, get settled, etc.

And my 3rd graders are MORE THAN capable of turning in their on hw, etc.

Any advice? Again, I am new at this school and realllly do not want to create waves, but I think a new years note might be in order. What do you all think? Again, if I am just needing to deal with it -- let me know! :)

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 11, 2010

That would make me crazy!

Since it sounds like a school-wide policy, you may just have to deal with it. However, you may be able to pick up some coping strategies from the other teachers in the building. I'm sure they've got some ways to curb those unwanted behaviors.

This is the only year I've had that issue, and I'm still surprised by it because I've always taught middle & high school. I'm not sure most of my kids even HAVE parents. This year one parent often carries her daughter's backpack to her locker and puts her things away. She's also brought me notes about illnesses, even though those go to the office, not the teacher. She's tried to interrupt my class twice to talk to me about her daughter that my time is limited with my students, and she has to contact me by email or voice mail to schedule an appointment. This is SEVENTH GRADE. Luckily we don't have to allow them into the classroom in the mornings.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2010

I would first talk to other teachers in the building as see how they handle it.

I think that sending a letter with helping students to become independent is easy enough and hopefully won't put off the parents.

Also, can you make yourself busy in the morning? If you are working with students and talking to other teachers, they might not have time to talk with you.

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 11, 2010

Thank you so much for your helpful ideas! :)

I have tried to make myself busy by writing problems on the board, talking to kids... but the parents just wait there until I am done...!!!

I really do not wish to upset the parents but I think it's a good idea to send the note about independence and using email/voicemail to communicate with me so I can give their concerns the attention it deserves. :)

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2010

OK, just to give you some perspective, I teach FIRST grade and if I had parents doing any of these things, I'd find a way to tell them not to. I have a few parents this year who wait with their kids on the playground until I pick them up. Our K-8 playground is a zoo in the mornings and part of me doesn't blame them. But most of my first graders get dropped off at the front of the school. I once had a kid who's mom walked him all the way to his desk. Once she stopped (at my request) the kid's academic work improved.