Before School Project?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by rperry, Jul 22, 2010.

1. rperry

rperry Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

Hello Everyone!

I've taught kindergarten for a few years now, and this year I am teaching Pre-K. I have a welcome letter that I send before school starts - one for parents, and a shorter one for the children, with a picture of me. :) Usually, along with this letter I send a cut-out sun. The students decorate it with pictures of themselves, etc., and bring it on their first day (it goes on a bulletin board "We had fun in the sun, but now it's time to SHINE at Alpine Elementary!"), but now I would like to do something else.

Anyone have some cute ideas on what they have their students do before school starts?

Thanks! :)

3. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jul 23, 2010

I usually give them a kid-shaped cutout and ask the family to help them decorate it to represent the student. We put them on the classroom door or on a bulletin board labeled "Our class" or "Mrs. Soandso's Class".

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

I have a family and friends board - helps kids that are missing mom and dad during the first week of school and because great springboard for writing ideas in the writing station.

So I give them an brown envelope with a note on front about filling it with 5-6 photos showing family members, friends, pets etc.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 23, 2010

6. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 24, 2010

I taught Pre-K for 5 years and am looping to K this year. Since we have kiddos still coming into the classroom the first 2 days, I don't do a family project before school starts. However, I have a piece of white construction paper with each child's name at the top. I ask each parent/guardian to draw a picture on it with a note on the back. I laminated it and used it as a "snack mat" after naps each day. The kids really like the personalized touch.

7. knitchic

knitchic Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

I send each student a paper bag. We call it "Me in a Bag!". They put three or four different things in their bag that represent their interests, family or anything else about themselves that they wish to share.
    I start the first day by showing the class what is in my bag. Last year I had a dog toy that belonged to my new puppy, a set of measuring spoons because I like to bake, some popcorn because it is my favourite snack, and a photo of myself and my family.

The kids LOVED learning more about me and their fellow students, and there were so many connections made during those first days as they each took a turn sharing their bag (ex: "Wow! I like dinosaurs just like John does!", or "I have a big sister too!").

I had a few students present their bags each day that first week, and I let the more confident children volunteer to go first. By the 7th or 8th presentation even my shyest students were excited to present their bags!

8. rperry

rperry Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Thanks for the wonderful ideas everyone!!!! :haha:

9. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 30, 2010

I love this idea and am going to do it this year! Do you happen to have a copy of the instructions you send home to parents describing what the kiddos have to do with the sun?

10. rperry

rperry Rookie

Jul 31, 2010

I do have the instructions, but they are on my computer at school. Once I get into my classroom, I'll put the directions on here!

11. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Aug 3, 2010

Thanks!

12. rperry

rperry Rookie

Aug 30, 2010

Sorry it's been so long since I replied to this! Here are my directions that come along with the welcome letter that I send in the mail to my families:

"You will see a paper sun with this letter. Have Mom or Dad help you recall fun activities, vacations, or other special events that happened this summer. Decorate the sun with photos, postcards, or drawings of your summer time fun. Be sure to write your name on the sun and bring to school on the first day! Be creative and I will see you soon!"