Before school phone calls?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Mrs.Sheila, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 15, 2007

:) We have open house for the students next Thursday. Would it be appropriate you think to call the students at home ~ I teach 3 year olds ~ on Wednesday afternoon to just "meet them" on the phone?

3. dianafish

dianafish Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

I don't know if it is really necessary. 3 year olds are not the most fun to talk to on the phone. But it certainly wouldn't hurt i suppose.

4. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 15, 2007

It of course would be for the parents thn the kids LOL! Just an easy way to open the door for communication.

5. dianafish

dianafish Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Oh! LOL. sorry, then it can't hurt. I have sent out emails to the parents to do basically the same thing.

6. monica

monica Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

When I first get my list I send letters. It has my intro letter all about me, a letter to the kids and the supply list. My letter to the kid tells them to draw a picture about what they did this summer & to bring an actual photo with that to open house.

Then I call the parents the week before orientation to say hello and ask about immediate concerns. I also discuss things like allergies, etc.. on the phone.

At open house the kids hang their pictures and photos in the hall. I have a poster that says "Look what we did this summer" I hang my photos out there first. It really helps them talk to me with a prop in their hands. They tell me about their drawing and photo, we walk in the hall together and hang it up. They feel more at ease with me because they have something to actually do. They also do a hunt in my room for things, but that's another story.

Answer the question: Yes, I think a phone call is nice. If you don't talk to the children, at least to say hi to the parents.

7. astaevia

astaevia Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

When my niece started grade 3, about a week before school was due to go back, the teacher sent out a short letter to her introducing herself and some other brief information (sent to all children in her class of course). She specifically addressed it to my niece and she thought it was fantastic to receive that in the mail and it made her more eager to meet the sender of the letter at school the following week.

8. astaevia

astaevia Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

Sorry, I pushed enter before I had finished!! LOL. Attached to that letter was a letter for the parents as well asking them to attend a small introductory morning tea beofre school starts. It was a nice way to get to know the parents and find out any concerns etc and a good way for some of the children to meet each other before the first day of school.