Before and After

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MissKinderK, Sep 22, 2010.

1. MissKinderK

MissKinderK Rookie

Sep 22, 2010

Hello:love: I am teaching positional words for the next two weeks. So far, they have grasped the concept of most words. Today was Before and After. For some reason, they are having such a hard time with it! I showed a math story on the smart board, had children line up in lines, drew pictures on the board and still more than half of them just don't get it. Any strategies you can share? Thanks!

3. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Oct 9, 2010

Where did you find the math story for the Smart board? I don't have any advice for you, but I sympathize. My class doesn't understand before and after either!

4. MissKinderK

MissKinderK Rookie

Oct 10, 2010

our math curriculum came with interactive board amimated stories. they really help - just not with this!

5. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Oct 12, 2010

After the first few weeks of school I start asking before-and-after questions as part of calendar time. What day comes before Saturday? What day comes after today? What letter comes after J? What number comes before 20? (all the answers can be found by looking at the charts on the wall.) Some kids get it right off, some need weeks of repetitive modeling.

6. SophieLou

SophieLou Rookie

Oct 12, 2010

I do the same questioning activities for days of the week. I also have a large number line on the wall at group time, I have a child choose a number and place a sticky note on it. One child identifies the chosen number and two other children tell the number that comes before/after. It is really a difficult concept for some kids!! Good luck!!