Before and After pictures!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 27, 2009

Ok-it's done!

I have moved about half of the Sprout stuff to a warehouse (the spare room is still filled) and reclaimed our living space. I had three evenings to complete the project-dh left for Chicago Monday morning on a business trip, and I am teaching during the day, so I had Mon, Tues and Wed evening to bring everything to the warehouse, clean, shop for lamps/tableware/duvet cover/etc.

The grand total was around $400, I think, which isn't bad considering I got the two hurricane candle holders/runner/napkins/napkin rings on the table, tons of candles, the curtains/curtain rod, duvet cover, lanterns for the bedroom (not up yet), hamper, etc. I was up until 3:30am this morning hanging pictures, scrubbing bathrooms, folding laundry, etc, but it's done. Fridge is full, clothes are clean, bathroom is sanitized.

The bedroom is not quite done-tonight I'm moving the file cabinet out and setting the futon up for reading. I also have a few beautiful lanterns to hang from the ceiling, and I need to make the duvet look nicer on the bed. But everything else looks pretty good. Even the bunny cage is clean.

And I'm practically falling asleep at work. But that's ok, because there's a giant bed in my classroom.... :haha:

Pictures are here!

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 27, 2009

Looks great! Your husband is going to be shocked!

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 27, 2009

Yep! He just called, totally stunned. Unfortunately, my cell phone battery died as we were talking (of all the times!), but he really, really liked it. He couldn't believe I hung all the art, shelves and curtains by myself, but come on. I'm a chick with a power tool! Maybe this will encourage him to buy me a power drill, jigsaw, etc. so I can REALLY create!!!

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 27, 2009

Jem, it looks wonderful. I am so happy for you. Even with the added expense of a storage unit, it is worth it. I bet your husband will have a very happy homecoming.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 27, 2009

Looks great. I looked earlier on FB and was really impressed. I know your DH will be extremely pleased too!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 27, 2009

Very nice, I know that was a lot of work to clean up!

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 27, 2009

Wow, looks awesome! You can actually use your living room again!!

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 27, 2009

Yes, it's wonderful living here now. ;)

I lit all the candles and we turned off the lights for dinner. Pizza, bought with dh's left over expense account money from the trip. :haha:

Now we have the slider open (no cigarette smoke! It's a miracle!!), are smelly the yummy spice of the candles and I'm about to read. So nice and relaxing... Anyone need me to work on their place?? ;)

10. deazy86

deazy86 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009

Hey you have really done a great job. Good surprise for your husband…

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2009

It looks awesome!!!

And yes, once I move, I will need your decorating advice!

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2009

Jem, it looks nice and boy have I been busy I didn't realize you had moved.

13. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Aug 28, 2009

Wonderful Jem! I love your kitchen table. The natural wood and the table runner are gorgeous!

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 28, 2009

Thanks, all!

DHE-no move. Just worked on the place where we're at. We're still not sure what we want to do in regards to a move. Dh is going to pass his resume out next week and see if he gets any bites in the South Bay area, so we're holding off on buying in the North Bay at the moment. Decisions... we don't do well with them.

Crzy-that table is from Ikea! Cheap, cheap, cheap. It's the only piece of furniture we've ever bought (the rest if from dh's bachelor days). It's so solid and huge, and was only about $300?, maybe?

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2009

Looks great, Jem!

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 28, 2009

Great job!

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2009

:thumb: I love it Jem! And you can come work on my house any time!

18. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

You´ve got a fabulous home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    love it!!!!
    You´ve worked hard...
    I think you are extremely creative, practical and you´re good at decorating. I´m amazed!

19. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2009

You can come to Ga and work on my house for sure!! We are renovating one room at a time. So far we have 2 rooms done out of 9. Lol :) We have two bedrooms done and am working on the third room which will be an office/laundry room once we knock down a wall and put it back up again 6 inches out :)

20. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2009

Jem, I am glad that I am not that far behind. I hope that you all make the right decision about where you want to live. If you moved would that affect your student?

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 29, 2009

Yes and no. I'm not leaving this job, so if we moved closer to her, then it would mean a shorter commute and a happier Jem. ;) If we stay up here and buy and house, there would be no difference, except a long commute for several years. If we move closer to dh's parents in Monterey, it would be the same commute as I have right now.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2009

My sister has a business where she reorganizes people's spaces: work, home, closets...Research suggests that de-cluttering and re-organizing has positive psychological effects.
    We can all benefit from going through those piles, whether it's as small as re-organizing your tupperware closet or as big as renting a warehouse space for your extra belongings.
    Here's a great article on getting started:
    http://www.marthastewart.com/article/clear-your-clutter?xsc=eml_org_2009_08_30

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 30, 2009

What a dream job, czacza!!