Been 7 years since i taught--interview Monday

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kelleyatwood@ch, Jun 4, 2008.

1. kelleyatwood@ch

kelleyatwood@ch Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

I am reading all these postings and getting sick to my stomach. i have been a stay at home Mom for 7 years and am trying to go back to work. When i interviewed for my last job 10years ago all i needed was my transcript and a resume. Everyone is talking about portfolio's, mini-portfolio's, demo lessons, etc.... Will they shove me out the door if it's just me and my resume?????

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2008

Hi--others can answer much more accurately what the expectations are for what you need to bring to your interview (although I am almost positive that they won't shove you out the door!) I just wanted to wish you good luck; I was at home with my children for 10 years, and returned to teaching about 8 years ago.

4. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 4, 2008

Kelley,

Welcome to the jobseekers forum. I have been home for 4yrs., looking to get back into the classroom. The jobmarket is tough, so I would recommend revamping cover letters and resume and creating a portfolio, website, and mini-portfolios. If you need any help, post what you have and what you may need help creating.

jw13

5. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 4, 2008

I was out of teaching for 10 years also. I interviewed with my resume, certificates, and myself. I did create a packet for the interviewer which included my res, certs, and letters of recommendation though, and left that when I finished each interview.

6. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Jun 4, 2008

Don't worry they won't shove. They are interviewing you because they want to talk to you. Bring what you got a killer smile and a great outfit. Good Luck

7. kelleyatwood@ch

kelleyatwood@ch Rookie

Jun 5, 2008

This will show you how out of it i am---what is/what is in a min-portfolio??

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2008

Before you start worrying too much, and before you embark on this time-consuming activity, check with the school district in which you intend to apply and find out if anything OTHER than a completed application, cover letter and resume are required.

If you also interview with the principal, ask beforehand if portfolios or demo lessons are required.

If not, don't worry about it.

They are not required in any of the districts I applied with, and I got a job without one.

Best of luck!

9. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 5, 2008

I asked this same question 6mths ago. It basically is a small highlighted version of a portfolio. You may want to put a mini-portfolio together, before or instead of a standard portfolio.

Mine includes:
    Cover Letter
    Resume
    3 Letters of Rec.
    Teaching Philosophy
    1-2 Lessons
    Classroom Management Plan
    Class Newsletter

You don't have to create mini-portfolios, portfolios, websites, etc. But, it seems to be, in many areas, a tough market for teachers. These items can really help you stand out. Just start with one thing at a time. :)

10. BackpocketNJ

BackpocketNJ Rookie

Jun 5, 2008

Hey -

Creating a nice looking portfolio does take a little bit of time and effort, but it is worth it if they ask to see it.

I have a very slim portfolio with sheet protectors which includes...

General cover letter on nice paper
    Resumes on nice paper
    Educational platform
    Copies of my certs
    Copies of background check
    Letters of Rec
    Reference list
    2 letters from parents I received after student teaching
    A completed reading inventory (which I took out)

Following this, I have a divider

I have a 1 page breakdown of 4 lessons - then I have the 4 full lessons plans, one for each subject, after that.

I have only been asked to see my portfolio once or twice out of 15ish interview/mini-interviews I have been on. On most occasions, the interviewer just has my resume in hand and we talk. I generally mention most of the things they can find in my portfolio anyway.

Good luck!

BPNJ