BEE books question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherC, Aug 18, 2008.

1. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2008

For those of you who do BEE or BEAR books (or any variation), do you have the parents supply the binders? I work in a low-income area, and many parents can't buy school supplies...I was going to use the 1 cent Staples binders and just send those home with the kids, but I'm afraid that they are too flimsy to last all year. I looked for cheap 1/2" binders, but they are at least $3/each, and I would be spending in the neighborhood of $60 or more...I think that is too much to send home. What do you think?:thanks:

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 18, 2008

Yes, I requested the 1/2 in ones but the 1 in ones ended up being cheaper. I took whatever the parents sent. I had supplied them in the past or used instruction money but this time, I put it on the parents.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 18, 2008

I have used the flimsy binders and replaced them at semester.

5. Mrs.A

Mrs.A Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

I just bought one inch view binders from Sam's club. They were $11.67 for 8 so I spent about $35 for 24. They seem nice but this is my first year using them. Hope this helps.

6. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 18, 2008

I've used the binders from Sams before and it's been okay. What I've done is move to good vinyl folders....it still costs me, but they last the year in most cases.

7. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 18, 2008

I bought my binders with my own money.

Since the flimsy binders aren't worth it to me, I buy sturdy ones.

I got mine from Classroom Direct. Check this link (they're available in black as well).

http://store.schoolspecialtyonline....item_name=School-Smart-1in-View-Binder,-White

They are only $1.49 each. Also, if you use this code-- 067EBTS8, you can get 25% off (all School Smart brand items).

There's shipping fees, but if you spend over $50.00, the shipping is free. So, if there's anything else you need to buy, I definitely recommend ordering from them. I shop a lot, and they have some of the best prices on school materials. (Another great site is Teacher Direct).

Hope this helps!

8. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2008

Thanks for all the great ideas, I'm going to see if I can squeeze some more money out of my account....if not, i'll just replace the flimsy binders in December. Thanks again!

9. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

I bought the poly portfolio pocket folders with prongs at Walmart for 88 cents each. They lasted all year last year. I added the zipper pouch with the plastic window for 97 cents along with several sheet protectors. I think the bindings are what wears out & don't have that problem anymore. These slide right into their mailboxes without taking too much room.

10. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2008

kindtchr, are they the same folders that they have a staples this week?

11. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

I haven't been to Staples this week but I did get some at Staples a couple months ago when they were on sale. They are transparent. I haven't used them for my BEAR folders yet. The Walmart ones are thicker & sturdier. If you're on a tight budget you may want to try the Staples ones. I think they will work.
    Good luck.

12. Ms.AD1

Ms.AD1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

Could soeone tell me what BEE or BEAR books are and what they're used for?

13. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2008

Check out this website...they really could be called anything, but they all have the same idea. http://www.smithsroom.com/moose.htm