BEE Book/folder procedure

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 1, 2008

My first year teaching I gave homework nightly. The students put their homework in their BEE Books (they were just poly folders) and brought them back to school. Every morning they took out their BEE Book, I walked around and checked homework while they did their morning work. Checking homework every morning took a chunk of my time, but most kids brought their BEE Books and the kids who didn't have their homework completed it right there in the AM. They had a reading log which was in a sheet protector in the BEE Book and each night they'd record what they read and on Friday I would check the reading log in addition to the homework.

This year, I did a weekly homework packet which was collected on Friday. At the beginning of the year I would have each child take out their BEE Book and I'd check them for notes every day. After a while I just asked each table, "Does anyone have any notes for me?" Soon the BEE Books started disappearing and they lost them or didn't take them out. Part of this was my fault for not keeping up with the routine, I guess.

Kids were getting disorganized because when they checked their mailboxes, they didn't put their papers in the "Bring Right Back" or "Left at Home" pockets. They just shoved them in their backpack. I had a few kids who didn't even bring a backpack, even when the social worker gave them new backpacks!!

So anyway, here is my question: I want to do weekly homework packets again next year. Does anyone have an idea how I can help my kids bring their folders every day? Should I check them every day? Should I collect them or just check them as I walk around the room? I want to hold them accountable for bringing it - but sometimes it's not the kids fault, even when we talk about how it's the child's responsibility. The parents play a big part too.

I was thinking about having a basket where they turn it in to every day. I would have to look through them for notes, I suppose. Then at the end of the day I will dismiss them to pack up by calling their name and giving them their BEE Book.

Sorry so long. What do you think?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 1, 2008

I use BEAR binders, and I check them every single day. Our students come in at different times over a half hour period (they come from the YMCA, the Boys and Girls Club, ten different buses that all arrive at different times, those who go to morning clubs, walkers, and those who stop to eat breakfast at the cafe first.) so I have them bring it to my desk each morning as the enter, and I put notes in the "Important Notes" section, and look for notes from home. I also comment if they have forgotten to empty the "take home/keep home" pocket.

Occassionally, I put a small treat in their binder (never candy -- usually stickers or a book mark) which really keeps them motivated to bring the binder right to me when they walk in the door.

For about a week, I was saying "I only need to see your binder if you have a note for me" and just like you, some of the students started "forgetting" their binders. I think you have to keep up with it daily for it to work.

I also do weekly homework, and I love doing it that way. I collect the packet on Friday and I look it over when I have time. I don't do it at their desks. Like I said, my children all come in at different times over a half an hour, so it would be too confusing.

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 1, 2008

Thanks for your suggestions! All my kids come in at once (except for a few tardies here and there) so it's easier to go around to their tables instead of all of them coming to my desk. I actually had a homework collector on Friday who went around and collected it and wrote down names of students who didn't do it. I wanted to start class as soon as possible so it saved me time! I agree though, you have to do it every day in order for it to stick.

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2008

I LOVE the idea of giving them little stickers or something as an incentive to bringing their binders back everyday!! Especially early in the year when we are just getting used to the routine! Thanks for the idea!!
    But I have a classroom job that the students take on which includes checking homework daily. It went GREAT last year when I had very quick and efficient little 2nd graders who loved doing the job because they did it in a reasonable amount of time and was able to get right to their bellwork. But, this year, my kids were soooo slow with completing the classroom job that I ditched it and left the job for my teacher assistant to do in the afternoons when she came in. Unfortunately, sometimes I don't know who did their homework or not until the middle of the day which made some kids think they've gotten away with not having their homework all day.:(
    So I started the classroom job again and it's going well. I am a firm believer of "peer pressure" when it comes to positive things. Some kids hated when the "homework checkers" would ask them where their homework is and why it's not in the basket? Some kids would turn in their STAR binders but the homework would be incomplete which totally defeats the purpose. But having these classroom jobs frees me up to do other things like attendance, house keeping, notes from parents etc. And I usually deal with the "no homework people" after these things are done. Or what's really funny, the homework checkers will tell me who doesn't have their homework and give that person the homework assignment to complete for me!:lol: Anyway, try the classroom job thing if it's a time management issue.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 1, 2008

Homework is due Friday and about midyear or later I realized I could have a kid do it! So I had a student go around and pick up homework and write down names of kids who didn't have it.

But I had a lot of kids who brought their homework but didn't have their BEE book. I don't know if maybe I'll go back to checking them every day, or maybe do the random surprises for kids who do bring them to school. Hmm.

7. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Jun 19, 2008

With everything else that has to get done by day's end, I foound it hard to check folders by myself. I have to let the kids open it and walk around to collect notes and what not. Homework is collected in the middle of the table, and the table captain brings them up. That's how it works for me. If the kids can do it, I let them.

8. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 19, 2008

I love the idea of surprises for turning in their BEE books daily! I'm going to implement BEE/MOOSE/whatever you want to call them (haven't come up with my acronym yet!) books next year, and I love this idea. My students come in all at once, save for tardies, and I think I'm going to use my mailboxes (really just letter trays) as a place for safekeeping of each binder. Then I'll know just by looking who has it and who doesn't. But before that I HAVE to check, although I want to hop right into reader's workshop first thing in the morning. Hmm... Not sure how to work this out.

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 20, 2008

I agree that checking the Bee books individually every day is going to be time consuming. And it also makes it difficult to just have a quick check of who brought it and who didn't. I think I'll just do what I have been doing. Having them take it out EVERY morning and just walking through and asking who has notes. I can jot down who does not have it and make sure they adjust their points (we do Make Your Day) in the morning. And also maybe on random days pass out stickers to kids who do have it. This might help a bit in the motivation. Then after I check it, they either put it in their desk or their mailbox. (Desk might not be the best choice, not sure) At the end of the day, they will take out their Bee book, put it on their desk, and I'll dismiss them to pack up by quiet, clean tables, and Bee books out and ready. Hmm what do you think?

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 20, 2008

I like how we are discussing this procedure.... reading your ideas and writing down my ideas helps me really clear up procedures that are fuzzy for me! :)

11. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 20, 2008

I think that's probably the best solution. One benefit of having the students put the binders in their mailboxes is that you could slip the little surprise (stickers or whatever) inside during a special or lunch. They might stay nicer looking that way, not being shoved in and out of desks. The way you described dismissal is more or less how I did dismissal (minus the BEE books, since I didn't have them last year), and it was an incentive to get ready quickly so they could line up sooner.

12. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 20, 2008

I think I'm going to have the students come in and read from books in the mixed book containers on their tables. During this time (warm up for reading workshop... I saw the idea in On Solid Ground and really liked it), the students will have out their BEE books with their homework, notes, and planner (yes, our first graders have planners!), and I'll check for all items. After all students have been checked for BEE books and notes about missing BEE books are written (I just found bilingual carbonless notes at the teacher store! Woo hoo!), students are dismissed by table to put their BEE books in their mailboxes and join me in the meeting area for our mini-lesson. We would have pledge and announcements and lunch count during this time, so it keeps them engaged (warm up to reading) while doing the administrative things.

I'd rotate books in the reading bins every couple weeks.

What do you think?

13. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 20, 2008

Sounds good. I check each student's BEAR binder when they come in. It is my chance to say good morning to each student, and read any notes or notice if their parent didn't take important papers out of the binder. Of course, my kids come in at staggered times, so it is really easy to do. There is never a line.

If my kids all came in at the same time, I might have to do things differently. As it is, they walk in, hand me their BEAR binder, hang up their coat (the rack is right next to my table.) I look in the binder, take out notes, slip in homework or notices, greet them, and hand the binder back to them. They take it to their seat and put it in the tub (we don't have desks, we have tables -- so we use a tub to hold the BEAR binders during the day.)

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 20, 2008

My kids use planner to write homework and I write notes about behavior and parents write me notes back in them. The kids open their folders and I put a frog sticker by their parents' initials each day.

My homework folders have a bring back to school side and leave at home side like many here have also. They pass in their homework and my student helper puts the papers into stacks. I check them during the planning period.

15. Youngteacher226

Jun 20, 2008

My kids have a planner too so I can write notes to the parents and I can log behavior for the day in there. I use the color system (green, yellow, blue, red). So I have a classroom job which is the Behavior Boss and that child moves sticks to colors when another student has broken a rule or whatever. Then at the end of the day, the Behavior Boss stamps a green star, a yellow star, a blue star or a red star in each child's planner which lets the parents know what color they were on. It's worked out great the last couple of years doing it that way because I don't have to take class time to stamp planners and it keeps the parents updated on how their child is doing. Also, if I need to, I can always go back to say April 22nd and show the parents that their child got to red that week in case they say they were not aware of their child's behavior (it's happened before).

16. Youngteacher226

Jun 20, 2008

By the way, my students all fight over who gets the job of the Behavior Boss!!! LOL!!! But my rule is if you break a rule or are disruptive during class in any way, you are considered OFF DUTY and you lose your job. So I like to give "challenging" students this job some times. You'll be amazed how their behavior improves during that week.

17. StickyNotes

StickyNotes Companion

Jun 25, 2008

I do something called Room 21 News. Each day in a spiral notebook we write a letter to parents. I write it on the board and we talk about what it should say and they copy it in their notebook. It can have reminders about events at school or tell parents what they did in class that day. The students are practicing their letter writing skills by including all of the essential parts of a letter and their parents are staying in the loop of things. This notebook is in their FISH Book (BEE Book, whatever). Each morning the students get out their FISH Books and open up to last night's letter in their notebook which their parents sign or initial. I go around and stamp the signatures so I can tell who has their FISH Books and parents sometimes write me notes in the Room 21 News notebook so I can reply then. It takes about 5 minutes or less for me to check everyone's. I know that's still time consuming as you have to check them all but parents love it.

18. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

These are all such wonderful ideas!!!!

19. diamondblast

diamondblast Guest

Aug 13, 2008

I was thinking about having a basket where they turn it in to every day. I would have to look through them for notes, I suppose. Then at the end of the day I will dismiss them to pack up by calling their name and giving them their BEE Book.

Sorry so long. What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Hi, I don't really understand much of these stuff.... but how about tell your students that who ever do as you wish will get 5 points extra in his total grade in the end of the semester ?

thnx

20. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 14, 2008

I am using BEAR folders. The folders were ordered before I knew about MOOSE, etc. notebooks. The folders have 2 inside pockets (one for return to school and the other for keep at home.) There are clear view covers front and back. The front is a "bear" cover sheet. The back holds the reading calendar (parents write # of min. read each night) and reading log (for title of book and who the child read to.) Homework packets go home on Monday and are due on Friday. With the exception of math. We use Saxon math, there is a two sided worksheet each day. One side is completed in class and the other side is homework. These are put in the folders daily. Children will put their bear folders in a tub near the door as they enter each morning. As the kids do their morning brainwork, I can usually check at least half the folders and finish at recess.

21. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 17, 2008

Okay, last week was the first week, and this is what I did.

Every morning they take their BEE Book out and I walk around and do a quick check while they write in their journal. Then, they clean up but leave their BEE Book out and we do points (we are a Make Your Day school). Kids adjust their points of they don't have their BEE Book. Then, I call quiet tables to put their BEE Book in a yellow labeled tub, then sit on the floor for morning meeting. At the end of the day, after our last set of points, I pull out each BEE Book from the tub to dismiss them to pack up. It worked great the first week!

22. Happy Chatter

Happy Chatter Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

What a super idea!