Bed time for high school kids

Discussion in 'High School' started by bandnerdtx, Aug 16, 2009.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 16, 2009

What do you guys think is an appropriate bed time for a freshman in high school?

Right now, my daughter has to be in bed by 10 and up at 6. She wants to stay up until 10:30, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that. I need to be in bed by 10 myself. :D

What time do your teens go to bed?

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 16, 2009

My kids go to bed at 11 or 12. I don't really force anything upon them, sometimes they'll be up late doing homework and I get that. Their dad of course is a huge night owl.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2009

I can't remember, but it seems like we had to be in our rooms by 10pm. That meant no phone calls after 9pm (house phone) & we had to be in our rooms. We played sports, so we may have been working on homework or reading or journaling. I would have my radio on to fall asleep to. I think I was up until later, but I didn't have to get up until 6:30 or 7am.

5. mainmama

mainmama New Member

Aug 16, 2009

I teach high school and we discussed this last year. We came to the conslusion that one of the may problems with high school age kids is that they are tired. Please make sure your kids get plenty of rest and breakfast.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 17, 2009

Mainmama, I teach high school, too. The problem is getting them to wind down by 10:00...

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 17, 2009

When I worked at a summer camp, the young teens (grade 7-10) had lights out at 10:30. The older kids (11-12th graders) "went to sleep" at 11:00. They were not usually ready for bed, and would stay up later talking. Our classes started at 9, and breakfast started at 7:30. They were all (mostly) rested enough each day for class, homework, and activities in the evening.

8. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 17, 2009

I would say asking her to be in her room at ten and to stop receiving phone calls sometime earlier is not unreasonable. Assuming she doesn't have a computer or phone in her room that leaves her with few options and hopefully she'll go to bed. Or maybe she'll be like my husband and do yoga until midnight!!

9. glen

glen Companion

Aug 17, 2009

My sons (starting 9th and 11th grades) are in their rooms by 10 on school nights, usually 10:30 on weekends. They don't have computers upstairs, and are not allowed to bring their phones upstairs. They are very active kids, though, and are often exhausted. The younger one rarely ever needs to be sent upstairs- he often goes on his own by 9. We haven't run into an issue with needing to stay up later for homework purposes, but would certainly allow it if needed.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2009

I'm in bed by 9:30 during school--before my children. My daughter is starting grade 10 in a couple of weeks; she typically goes to bed around 11:00-11:30. There are nights, however, when I hear the printer at 2:00am! She doesn't have a set bedtime, but knows that she needs to be up for school every day with no excuses. If she doesn't get enough sleep, she doesn't feel well and she quickly learns.

My son is a definite night owl; he's rarely in bed before 2:00am. There have even been times when I hear him going to bed just before I get up! Just like my daughter, though, he's always up in the morning when he needs to be.

11. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

I've always found it hard to go to bed at 10, even 10:30 growing up. But also I know how hard it can be to be sitting in chemistry barely awake.

My kids have to be up at 5:30 (daughter), 6 (son)--she takes longer to get ready.

My rule is that they cannot be on the computer after 10:00. Personally, I think it's the computer that keeps them up. Watching t.v. should make them sleepy (I want to say something about dopamine being released?).

I mean it is afterall the computer that's keeping me up now at 1:13 am. =P

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2009

My son is going to be a senior. He has always gone to bed around 9. Even in the summer when he doesn't have to be at school at 7 he goes to bed at 9.
    My 19 year old college sophomore goes to bed anytime she wants....