Becoming more involved with the community.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Abcgirl, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Abcgirl

Abcgirl Rookie

Apr 12, 2017

So I have been trying to think of ways to get my class more involved with the community. They are 3 so I'm not really sure they would understand. Last year we did adopt a soldier and had very little parent participation but we have a really good group of parents right now. I was thinking about for May Day having the kids make a handprint flower bouquet and putting a little poem on it and maybe I take their projects to a nursing home or something? I just want my classroom even though they are only 3 to make a difference somewhere. Does anyone have any good ideas to get our children more involved.

3. Youhavemale

Youhavemale Guest

Apr 17, 2017

For my birthday each year, I have children bring in something that can be donated to local charities. I actually just took the blankets for the children's home today. In the past, I have collected things for local children's hospitals. Each year, I also do a silent art auction. The children paint canvases in groups or two or three and the parents bid on them. The key is to make sure that each child is only on one painting so that parents will get into a bidding war! :) 100% of the money raised goes to a local charity. In order for the children to feel more connected to the charity, you can show them online pictures or youtube videos. My class is made of mostly 4 year olds, but even the youngest understand about helping others. You can maybe do a entire unit on helping a being nice. There are several books such as "The Giving Tree" and "Fill your Bucket" that you can read. Go to the dollar store or collect books or little toys from parents or local fast food restaurants and have a give and receive store. Each child picks something to give to another child in the classroom and have them explain why they gave the child the toy or book that they picked and have the children talk about how it made them fell to give a receive gifts. Let me know if you need any more information.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 18, 2017

Do you do field trips? Trips to public service and safety organizations (fire department), local supermarkets, animal care and control, even the zoo, will familiarize them with people working in and serving their community.

czacza likes this.
  5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2017

This is a great idea! Community service for three year olds shouldn't be dependent on their parents. Or you creating a bouquet of handprints. Community helper read aloud, Invite cops in to read, have the fire truck come to school- those kinds of things are much more memorable and meaningful for little ones

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2017

One of my previous schools had a "Reading with Seniors" program. A group from a local Seniors' Residence visited once a week and they read, coloured, and did crafts with the little ones.

7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Apr 18, 2017

My last school had the pre-k & kinder kids earn money by doing chores at home, bring in the money, count the total, field trip to local grocery store to buy nonperishables, then another field trip to local food bank to donate the food.

8. Abcgirl

Abcgirl Rookie

Jun 1, 2017

No we can't do field trips they won't let us put them on the bus because they need carseats