Becoming Certified in MASS

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. Rachel, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Ms. Rachel

Ms. Rachel Rookie

Mar 16, 2010

Hi,

I am currently getting ready to sign up for the MTELs, (middle school math). I read a post from a few years ago, about needing to take 1.) the subject area test, 2.) the Comm. and Lit. subtests, and 3.) a general education test.

However, when I go on the MASS DOE website, it says I only need the first 2, and not the general ed. test.

I am confused, I know they change the requirements , but I can't seem to find the answer.

Thank you all so much!

3. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Mar 16, 2010

Try calling them. Get through to a real person and ask. In PA I had a problem with the information on their website, called them, and all was right with the world. The whole world.

4. shaggymo

shaggymo Rookie

Mar 16, 2010

I took the test (elem. ed.) years ago, but I had to take all three. Maybe yours is more specialized so you don't need the general ed. portion.
    I know the website can be a nightmare to navigate. I've called them before but had to wait on hold for a long time. Maybe try calling your undergrad/graduate school's career counselor (Lesley University has their own certification officer for these questions). Good luck.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 16, 2010

I'd go with what the DOE Web site says, but you might also check with a good teacher-preparation program in your area.

6. jenneke607

jenneke607 Rookie

Mar 16, 2010

The General Curriculum test is intended for elementary teacher candidates. As a secondary ed. candidate, you will have to take the first two listed: the subject area test (Middle School Math/47) and the Literacy and Communication Skills (Reading and Writing Subtests/01). That should suffice.

Best of luck! Are you moving up here from FL?

7. Ms. Rachel

Ms. Rachel Rookie

Mar 16, 2010

Thank you for the advice!! Yes, I am moving up from FL. I went to Northeastern, and tried the whole moving back home thing down here, but there are few jobs here for my boyfriend and I :(

Oh well, I miss Boston!