Becoming Bitter

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Sep 16, 2009.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 16, 2009

For the 1st time in my career I think I may be succumbing to bitterness. Not in the classroom with the kids-there it's fine. But the other stuff--parents, wishy-washy administration, co-workers etc. really seems to be getting to me this year.

I have 3 staff kids in my room and one of the teachers went to my administrator and said the homework I was sending was not hard enough. I teach a GT class but I don't think this child is really GT, a high acheiver, yes. Parent brags constantly how the kid's already doing multiplication (can recite the tables, doesn't understand the concept). To me, homework should reinforce what they are learning in class and I'm definitely not teaching multiplication in K-what I send is from 1st Grade resources, it's not like I'm sending home a page to color the letter "A" or anything-it's consonant blends, graphing, etc.

I guess I was hurt that this parent went above my head instead of coming to me and that the admin wouldn't send them to me instead of acting as a go-between. She simply said I'll give you a book of harder homework, not even let me see what you're sending. I truly considered sending something extremely above grade level tonight for this kid like maybe linear functions to prove a point. :whistle: I know I should just find homework the parent would like but it's the principle of it you know.

That's not the only example, just the one that made me realize I'm more angry and frustrated this year. How do you stay "happy" day-to-day when there are so many stressors in this profession completely out of your control? :help:

3. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 16, 2009

I know what you mean/feel. It's the kids for me either and most parents are pretty good. It's my administration and district that is making me bitter. They basically take any fun/joy you would have for teaching out of it - no coloring on kids work is one example - I teach 2nd grade. So basically kids can't color/draw anything????

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 16, 2009

I know exactly how you feel. I had a kid a couple of years ago and his dad was a principal in another district, he called me a couple of times and told ME I NEEDED some advice on how to run my class. I was mad enough to die. His kid was barely average on a good day!!! He had the gall to call and complain to my P too!! He was so uglly to me. You just have to consider the source as ignorant, do what YOU KNOW is right.

AND what goes around comes around. HE lost his job as a P, had to take a job 45 miles away, can't sell his half a million $ house, his wife had to change jobs because he lost his, their kids have been in two different districts because THE SCHOOLS they attended didn't know what they were doing! They were renting an appt. in the other town and making a gynormous house payment here. He's just a jerk, others recognized it too.

Walk into your classroom, close the door, and do what you KNOW how to do and ignore the ignorant.

5. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Sep 16, 2009

I can't comment on the difficult situation you are facing, but I can on the bitter thing. Last year I started to succumb and then I took some time to figure out what really mattered to me. I'm not trying to say it is easy (I was really worried about how frustrated I was) but that it doesn't have to be permanent. I know this doesn't help how you feel now but if you've been positive in the past even if you have some rough patches there is a light at the end of the tunnel :)

6. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Sep 16, 2009

I hear you on this one. We are not allowed to do word searches, color, art projects and the big kicker.... I got in trouble for letting my kids play math games!

Yeah, I guess direct instruction is the only way to go anymore. :mad: I would love teaching if I was actually able to teach. But no. I must be a robot and my children are nothing but statistics. :| There is a very negative vibe at my school this year and it sucks.

On top of that I had an HOUR long parent meeting where the parent insinuated that the reason his child is doing poorly is because I have no classroom management and if more than one or two kids are also low then I also can't teach effectively. (This comes from a kid that has been low since kindergarten) I had to really hold my tongue on that one and just smile and nod.:crosseyed

7. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Sep 17, 2009

It is harder and harder each year to stay positive and up-beat. As with most of you , it is not the children-it's all the other junk. We keep getting more and more stuff heaped on us, took a pay cut this year, have all kinds of new 'state' testing, etc. Kindergarten has the absolute WORST schedule, almost to the point of unworkable. When we spoke to our AP about it (she does the scheduling) she said, "Yeh, the K schedule sucks". That was it. So we just have to deal with it. I just bite my tongue and hide out in my classroom. Last year our school ( and whole district) had a very negative feel about it and it does again this year.

8. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 17, 2009

Darkhorse- I pm'd you.

9. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Sep 17, 2009

This is absolutely ridiculous:eek: What in the world is going on in this country? Ugh!!

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 17, 2009

Thanks for your responses! It does feel better to know others are going through the same thing. Although I was really hoping someone would have a magic "cure" for me though. Oh well, I'll just keep pressing on and try to concentrate on the teaching instead of all the other junk.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2009

A teacher and I were having this same conversation today. I can't stand parents going to my admin before they've had a chance to come to me first and discuss it and give me time to implement whatever plan we come up with....if after that, they aren't happy, then go to my P but not w/o talking to me first.

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2009

I'm there with you this year. Love the team I'm working with, but some of the other teachers are stepping on my last nerve.

The principal is on a mission....he wants to make sure everyone knows he is in charge. The problem is that he is ADHD and can't stay focused or organized long enough.

It seems that too many of the parents are not supportive and blame the teachers for their kid's lack of effort. One parent told us that she "wasn't home baking cookies all day" and so she didn't know what we wanted her to do about her son's "no homework" policy.

I seriously began looking for another line of work. I need a change.

13. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Sep 20, 2009

I totally get the bitter thing! I was so miserable last year; I was ready to quit teaching altogether. This year I decided to stay out of the drama between the teachers and admin. I stay in my room and do my thing, and I really am enjoying my year a lot more this year so far. Some of the teachers had a secret meeting last week about their current gripes. I was invited, but I 'forgot' to go.

14. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Sep 20, 2009

You guys sound so miserable. It might be teacher burn-out too. Particularly if you are normally a high achieving teacher.....your odds of burning out increase because you take on too much, take comments very personally, etc.

Throughout my teaching career, I had moments like this from time to time. I liked to consider myself a high achieving teacher. I am generally a very positive thinker so when I would find myself jumping on the Negative Train, it was generally my cue that I was getting in a rut and needed something fresh.

You might want to consider changing grade levels or transferring to another school. Staying in the same grade/school is wonderful and consistent, however, the same ol' same ol' issues start to really seem magnified when you've been dealing with them for quite some time.

Just a thought.....mix something up, give yourself a new challenge to focus on rather than all of the negatives.

15. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Sep 20, 2009

I can relate. Our lunch schedule has been pushed an hour later. We have a recess just before lunch. Enrichment time has been reduced by 15 minutes. Our printers and internet have been down since school began. Now we've been told that all four of us have to teach exactly the same thing during enrichment. This is the only 1/2hour of the day when I feel like I can actually use my creativity. Now it's being stifled. Not much room left for enjoyment!!! YKWIM??:mad:

16. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 20, 2009

How annoying, Mom2sands! Thats too bad they are taking that part of you day away!