Becoming a Teacher

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by ricflair, Oct 10, 2006.

1. ricflair

ricflair Rookie

Oct 10, 2006

i was told that in ny state you have to get a masters to become a teacher

id like to be a history or social studies teacher but not neccessarily in ny. id teach anywhere.

was thinking about starting up some college and got curious of how long id have to go to school for to be able to teach

thanks for the help

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 10, 2006

If you go full time, Masters takes about 6 years. This may or may not include a year of student teaching. I'm betting it does.

4. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Oct 10, 2006

6 years??? wow. i did mine in a year and a half.

in NY they prefer you to have a master's..why? i don't know. ALot of districts like that in a candidate. Unless you are in NYC and they don't really require it

5. ricflair

ricflair Rookie

Oct 10, 2006

so teachers go to school the same as a doctor but make about 1/10th? that sucks

so you are saying that a masters is recquired or no?

thats my question

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 10, 2006

teachmemath: From the ground up (AA, BA, MA) it is 6 years (approx). I'm assuming that's what they asked, but maybe I was wrong.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 10, 2006

It would take about 4 years to receive your Bachelor's and then roughly 2 years or so after that to receive your Master's...assuming you go to school full time.

As far as I know, it is not a state requirement in NY to have your Master's in order to be hired, but many districts do prefer it. Either way, I'm pretty sure you'd have to receive your Bachelor's within a certain number of years after being hired anyway.

8. ricflair

ricflair Rookie

Oct 10, 2006

wait so you can be a teacher even before you get your bachelors?

and what about states outside of ny. do they prefer masters too?

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 10, 2006

Not in the public schools.

I can't speak for other states, but in Massachusetts there are some districts that prefer Master's degrees, but it's not a requirement. You do need to receive your Master's within 5 years of being hired, though in order to renew your teaching license.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 10, 2006

Keep in mind that No Child Left Behind may up some of these requirments in the years ahead. Things are changing. That doesn't help, but just a food for thought to throw in there.

11. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2006

NY does not prefer a masters.....they require it!
    You do not need to get it right away.....you can be certified with your BA and then you have x amt. of years to get your masters, complete teaching experience and take some state testing. If you do not get your masters with in the aloted time (I dont know the time limit..it has changed since I went to school) your certification will become void....
    Many schools in NY shy away form hiring teachers w/o their masters because it shows lack of experince and education....NY is a competivie place (at least where I am)....but you can get work and you can get into good schools.....
    As for a time limit....my BA took the typical 4 years to complete and my Masters took me about 2 years ( I was a part time student, teaching full time). I know people who have done their masters full time in a year...it all depends on the program and how much time you have to devote to school).

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 10, 2006

It's the same in Massachusetts.
    It's not a requirement to be hired, though, right? That was the original question which is why I said it may be prefered, but isn't required.

13. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Oct 10, 2006

Many districts prefer you NOT have a master's to start....

New Teacher w/ No Experience + Master's Degree = District taking a chance paying too much $$ for unknown entity.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2006

Here's how it works in Kentucky. You have to have a bachelors degree WITH teaching certification in order to get a teaching job. In rare cases they'll hire someone WITHOUT a teaching certificate on an emergency basis, but the teacher must be working toward the certificate while teaching. There's also a deadline as to how long they take to get the degree.

Within 10 years of beginning teaching, teachers must complete a masters degree or lose their teaching certificate. They also have a "rank II" program, basically a 30 hour program, for those who either choose that route or don't have the undergrad grades to get into a masters program.

I got my BA in 5 years . . . only because I changed majors and added a minor my junior year and had to take extra time. I worked full time teaching while getting my masters. I started it in January of 1995 and finished in December of 1996.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2006

In NY you need a Masters to get PERMANENT certification. You can teach with provisional however; that just requires a Bachelor's. I think provisional is good for 5 years; you can check on it at the NYS Board of Regents website.

16. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2006

That is true. Actually, I have acquired my Bachelor's Degree recently and I got a teaching job right out of college. I know that I have 5 years to get my Masters and your pay goes up based upon # of credits earned towards a Master's.(Keep that in mind also). NY does require to get your "Professional" certification within 5 years, but I plan to go back next semester to begin my MA. Good Luck!!:D

17. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Oct 10, 2006

In Washington state (I know...clear across the country) you are required to have a Bachelor's degree before you can be hired to teach. You have 5 years to get a Professional teaching certificate. Many of the univeristies offer the classes to obtain this. It is not requried, at the present time, to have a master's degree to teach. However, recent talk has been about changing that in the near future. I got my M.Ed. 2 years ago and of course, moved up on the pay scale. Now I am trying to get to M+45.

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 11, 2006

Sounds like our states have the exact same requirements. :)

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 20, 2006

Wow! I've never known that a Master's is a mandatory requirement in certain places to teach any grade that's K-12. Considering the salary of a teacher, if it was mandatory in my area, I'd rather get a Master's in a major to get a much better paying job.