Becoming a teacher in Florida

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by LV83, Jan 26, 2010.

1. LV83

LV83 New Member

Jan 26, 2010

Hey everyone!

I just have a question for those who are already teachers in Florida. I received my Bachelor of Arts in Social Science with Education Concentration from a university in Iowa and have wanted to be a teacher ever since I can remember. I live in Florida, though, so I was looking at the teacher certification site and it has a link on how to get your certification if you are a career changer or college graduate (with a bachelor's from an accredited institution) of a non-education program.

My question is, would I need to take additional courses in order to be able to take the SAE examination and receive my temporary teaching certificate and if so, will they let me know what courses I need to take. Does anyone know what courses you need to have taken in order to be eligible to become a teacher? Also, does every person who wishes to be a teacher have to do student-teaching? If so, does that mean you would need to have an evening job being that student-teaching is done during the day?:confused::help:

Thank you all in advance for your time, replies, and advice!;)

3. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jan 27, 2010

I'm not a teacher yet but I am doing the alternative certification program in Florida, as I graduated with a degree outside of Education.

In order to get my 3 year temporary teaching certificate I have to:
    Take the Subject Area Exam in what you want to teach

Pay for the statement of eligibility application (each subject is a separate fee- I believe $75)

After passing the test you need to find employment

Then apply for the alt- certification program

In the 3 years of the temp. certificate you have to take the GKT and pass the alt- cert. program and then take the professional test to get your 5 year renewable certificate.

Hope this helps
    -Christina

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2010

It sounds like you already have some education courses under your belt. Here's what I would do. The DOE website is confusing and difficult to understand. I would choose a morning, get all my course paperwork together from your previous schools, make a large pot of coffee, have a plate of protein snacks (for energy) beside you, and get on the phone to the DOE. Be prepared to either spend a long time talking to someone(s) or get a message machine. If so, it has been my experience that they do call back. Good luck. Do you know what part of Fl you want to teach in?

5. LV83

LV83 New Member

Jan 27, 2010

I did take some education courses since my degree included concentration in education. I want to teach in Orlando, FL, preferably the east side since that is where I live and I do not want to commute anymore. Thank you so much for the advice. I guess I will be calling the DOE and actually speaking with someone so I can get all my questions answered and not be confused.

So, is it not necessary to student-teach in FL?

Thanks!

6. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jan 27, 2010

I know people who do student- teach in FL. But, those are the people that are in education programs. I am unsure if you have to student teach doing an alt. certification program, or if you are already licensed to teach in another state. That is honestly a question I have never asked the FLDOE. I would ask them when you call though, just to be certain.

7. shortee

shortee Companion

Jan 28, 2010

Go to the DOE website and fill out the application for your temporary certificate. You will have to specify a particular grade and subject. You will have to pay the fee before they will send you the information you need. It will tell you what additional courses you need or which SAE to take.

If you choose to take the SAE you have to fill out the application for that, pay the fee and then take the test. If you pass...you get your temporary certificate. You DO NOT have to do student teaching.

This is exactly how I started teaching. My bachelor's degree is in liberal studies. Go for it!!! You can do it.

8. LV83

LV83 New Member

Jan 29, 2010

Thanks so much for the information everyone. You were all very helpful! Thanks for the encouragement as well :thumb:

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 29, 2010

As to the testing, if you're concerned about that, do breathe, please.