Becoming a student?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by nikimcn, Oct 4, 2009.

1. nikimcn

nikimcn Rookie

Oct 4, 2009

I am not a teacher yet, far from it. Here's my situation...I'm a teacher assistant for special ed in a junior high. I've been doing this same type of job with the district, diff schools, for 2 years now. I enjoy it but am highly underpaid. I want to go back to school *have a bachelor's in science now* and get certified to teach sped. So should i? I'm having so so so many doubts and I'm not sure why. I would do the postbacc online program. They say takes about 2 years. Then certification fees, state testing, etc. Why am I so hesitant? I guess I'm so worried I'm going to go through all this and then hate it. I want this to work. I've read lots of threads of first year and 2nd year teachers that hate their jobs. How awful I'd feel if I went through all this, the fees, the loans, the student teaching, and then hated it and quit after a year or two! I want this to be a career of mine, not just a job. PLEASE ADVISE! any thoughts, tips, hints, things to get me through if I do decide to do this??? I'm 37 and have 4 kids, still in the home. married. Oh ease my mind, please!

3. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 4, 2009

I love teaching. It's my 4th year. What do you like about your position now? What do you dislike? Teacher's aide get a great picture of what it is like to be a teacher. Perhaps you can talk to the teacher whose room you work in and ask if you can teach a lesson or two, to get a better idea of what it is like to teach.

Also, if you teach SPED for 5 year, you can get around 20k of your student loans forgiven.

4. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Oct 4, 2009

It is not necessary to get a degree in education. See if the Alternate Route works for you:

http://www.ade.state.az.us/asd/altpath/

5. nikimcn

nikimcn Rookie

Oct 6, 2009

please

would love to have some more input.
    :)

6. collegeteach12

collegeteach12 Rookie

Oct 6, 2009

I'm still a student (undergrad at a unviversity) but relate when you say you are afraid after reading some people saying they hate their first year. This also used to give me so many doubts about if I really wanted to go through it. But to me, I think about how much I really do enjoy being in a classroom teaching. And those complaints seem to be just a pattern-it usually is the first year teachers complaining about how hard it is-because it probably is. However I think once they all get used to things they get to start enjoy teaching just as they had imagined. as far as your situation, you've been in a classroom for 2 years, so don't you think you already know what it would be like to be a teacher yourself? If after working for 2 years even as an assistant and you still love it I think you would enjoy being a teacher!

Good Luck!

7. nikimcn

nikimcn Rookie

Oct 7, 2009

I know what you are saying...at least I've been in a classroom for 2 years. But I have NOT had IEP meetings, dealings with parents (well, not too many, a few yes), and school administrator problems. So I guess that's more of the worries I have. I know aides don't see the OTHER side of it, because on late start and early release we go home. :)

I'd love any other input anyone has :)
    I have orientation at the online college I will be attending (tonight).