Becoming 6th graders...

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by SuperMissM, Apr 28, 2008.

1. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

Oh my.

I love my kids, I really really do. I have the most unique group of kids Ive ever met... I love them all dearlly, but man... they're becoming sixth graders and Im not liking it!!!!

Anyone else getting some "6th graders" on their hands? Kids who are just not fitting in 5th anymore?

Oh springtime!

3. cmw

cmw Groupie

Apr 28, 2008

UGHH!! I have some that have been ready for sixth for months! :p I'm noticing the ones with older siblings tend to act more mature than their age. ;)

4. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

Yeah... luckily we have a young group here...

we tend to have problems with the last kid in a family coming through our small school....

5. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Apr 29, 2008

Mine have been acting like sixth graders since right after Christmas. They think they are just too old for our school.

6. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Apr 29, 2008

Our principal came in today to do her "Spring in 5th grade" speech after one too many referrals about kids being too touchy-feely. So annoying!!!

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2008

Thankfully it hasn't gotten too bad here yet. Last year was awful! They had to stop sending kids to in school suspension, because it was full every day it is open. I do have quite a few 12 year olds right now, but they are pretty immature for their age.

8. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

Apr 30, 2008

I have a lot of "couples", some have been since the beginning of the year. I didnt even notice boys in fifth!!!!

My one boy did say the funniest thing once I asked him why he was acting the way he did and he said "Its not my fault we mature slower than girls!!!"

haha

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 2, 2008

I've had kids flirting on and off all year. Lately though some of them have begun to develop the "6th grade chip [on the shoulder]" attitude, and it's really agrivating me. Today when I told the group to settle down so we could start the next class, they got louder even though classmates were reminding them of consequences. So they earned a social-free lunch and extra work since they obviously weren't ready to play a review game. Then one of my little cherubs started sing the "wemowep" part of Lion Sleeps Tonight and another started to join in (that was kind of funny b/c the second kid was kind of in-and-out of the song not sure if this was a good idea) until I sent lc to the office to work. 13 days left.

10. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

May 3, 2008

Wouldn't it be great if we could just rotate kids during the fourth quarter? I'd love to take your sixth graders, mine are turning into 7th graders! ;)

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 3, 2008

Oh, gosh, these are too funny. I had a break from 5th this year as I taught 3rd for just one year. It all depends on the group, but the second half of 5th grade is really different from the first. Since we go through 8th grade, though, they aren't antsy to get 'out', just to be cool. The boy/girl thing at this age is either hysterical or just obnoxious to watch, isn't it?

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 3, 2008

Oh, yes!

13. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

May 17, 2008

Our kids got the same speech. We even had to change our whole behavior plan for this group of kids:eek: May 30 just cannot get here soon enough.