Because of Winn Dixie

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ChristyF, Oct 21, 2005.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 21, 2005

Has anyone seen this movie? I am reading the book to my kids and thought it would be perfect to end it with the movie. I know it's PG, but I'm not sure why. I need to find out if it's for language, violence, etc. I haven't had a chance to see it yet so I was curious what anyone else thought.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2005

I saw it this summer and found it really really sad. I had read the book but for some reason the movie made me even sadder. My 9 year old niece was a bit of a wreck- crying. Try this website- it lists links to teacher guides:

http://www.walden.com/teach/movies/winndixie.jsp

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 21, 2005

The only thing I found when showing the movie was the use of the word h*ll. The librarian made the comment "war is h*ll". One little girl said that "h*ll" is a curse word" and the librarian said "war is, too." THAT is the ONLY thing I remember hearing that was pushing PG. Otherwise... GREAT MOVIE!!! My husband even enjoyed it.

Lori

5. glitzern02

glitzern02 Companion

Oct 22, 2005

It is a great book and movie! I think the movie also is rated PG because there is a small discussion about drinking and being an alcoholic. That could possibly raise some eyebrows in the classroom. Personally, I think it was handled in a positive way, about moving on and changing yourself to be a better person. But that's all I can really think about.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 22, 2005

I read this to 5th grade. Is the movie also appropriate for 5th grade? I'm thinking of Tuck Everlasting which I also read aloud. I thought the movie hyped the 'love' interest angle too much.

7. glitzern02

glitzern02 Companion

Oct 23, 2005

I would say both of those books/movies are fine for 5th grade. (Although I do agree with you on the Tuck movie.) I absolutely love both of them!

8. newteacher16

newteacher16 Companion

Oct 24, 2005

Because of Winn-Dixie is SUCH a great book! My kids read it last year right before the movie came out. I was a little sad that the movie came out, because then some kids won't bother to read the book. I haven't seen the movie, but I hope it's a good representation.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 24, 2005

Have them read the book and watch the movie then write a paper comparing and contrasting the differences between the two. You know movie and books are never exactly the same. :)

Lori

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 25, 2005

Exactly! My kids watched The Wizard of Oz one day (not my choice-my sub decided that it would be a good idea-grrr.), and we ended up reading the book and comparing the two. Our 5th graders went on a field trip to watch the movie last year. Some teachers read the book and some didn't.

11. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Oct 25, 2005

I did read the book and show the movie. Great compare/contrast activity. You'll enjoy the movie. H*ll was the only thing I heard.

12. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 25, 2005

My kids liked it and for the most part, my youngest is 5. If you read the book, they will be prepared about stuff they wouldn't if they hadn't like the little girl not having a mommy, and about the guy who runs the pet store thats drifter, and the blind lady that has a drinking problem it may be these things that made it a PG movie, they are every day events, but they take some explaining to younger children. I thought the movie was really good about teaching about compassion.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 18, 2005

I know this is an older thread, but I finally got to see the movie last night (I LOVED it!) In addition to the discusssion about war being Hell and the discussion on drinking, Otis (in the petstore) says "I'll be d***ed." when Mrs. Gladys lands on Winn Dixie. I've thought about showing it and forwarding over those lines. I'll have to get it approved, though, we aren't supposed to show anything that isn't G. I would love to show it in the room, though, it's a great movie!

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 18, 2005

Hmm.... must have missed that word when I watched it. It is a shame they can ruin a good movie with a couple of words.

Lori

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 18, 2005

What grade do you teach? I'm sure most of the kids have heard worse then those two words.

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 18, 2005

I teach 5th Jamie, and I'm sure most of them have, but we aren't allowed to show PG movies unless we can show why it got that rating and getting it approved. They won't approve it with those words in it.
    Of course we were listing to Christmas carols and on one of my tapes their is a Kenny Rogers song "Homemade Kentucky Christmas" that is a beautiful song, but he says Hell in there.

17. westcoaster

westcoaster Rookie

Dec 18, 2005

I thought the movie version of Tuck Everlasting was terrible...the book was great, but (much like most movies I've seen after reading the book) the movie was quite different and quite lacking. Shame...

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 18, 2005

Thanks for the feedback!

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 19, 2005

Our library has an older verion movie called Tuck Everlasting. I haven't watched that version yet. It must be decent enough to put in the video collection.

20. WannaBe

WannaBe New Member

Dec 19, 2005

My preschooler watched Winn Dixie and now we are reading the book together. The key is together. I think the comparing and contrasting idea is a great idea.