Beautiful Morning Terrible afternoon!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by 2ndGradeSub, Sep 7, 2006.

1. 2ndGradeSub

2ndGradeSub Rookie

Sep 7, 2006

OMYG, am I the only one...I came home and cried today! My st. were beautiful during math...and then as the day went by..they slowly became worse and worse. By the end of the day they were everywhere! MY SSR (self-selected reading) has gone to shambles. I do not know what to do. They were terrible! talkative, disruptive, not listening...everything you name it. I feel like a failure. I have to do something about this tomorrow! I just wanted to vent on here...and make sure I am not the only one. AND the thing is...I will only have them for the next 2 months....then Who knows where I will be...(joy of being a long term sub:confused: ) IS it almost time yet??????

3. CHI

CHI Rookie

Sep 7, 2006

I am a first year teacher and am teaching second grade. I am having the exact same problem! For the most part they are well behaved in the morning and in the afternoon they are wild. I am interested to know if anyone has any suggestions. I too feel that I am a failure because I spend most of the afternoon trying to gain control. It's terrible!

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2006

I am a first year teacher and I teach second grade too. What exactly are you finding yourself having a difficult time with??? At what point does the class fall apart??

5. SHF4EL

SHF4EL Rookie

Sep 7, 2006

Sorry that you had a rough afternoon! Reinforce your rules and procedures in the morning, during transition time, after lunch, before dismissal and stick to the consequences that you have for any violators. Make clear your expectations of them and have them practice. If you don't do this, it will be very difficult for you to teach them anything. You are not a failure and it's not too late to solidify your spot as the teacher in that classroom, no matter how long you have them. You can do it!!! Best wishes tomorrow

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2006

They may be getting spun up/over stimulated at lunch. Review what your lunch expectations are. When they come in from recess play some soothing music and let them put their heads on their desks, use restroom, get a cool drink from water fountain before beginning your afternoon. Review what reading time looks and sounds like. Restate your expectation for the afternoon. Use consequences.

7. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Sep 7, 2006

Well it is a full moon today my kids normally act up the day before, the day of and the day after a full moon, I can always count on it.

How about before you start the afternoon lessons you plan an activity, like taking a nature walk outside to find something for math or push the desks back and play a quick ball game of some sorts, then tell them if they are well behaved you can do it again tomorrow. Sometimes they just need to burn off a littel energy in the afternoon.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2006

I teach full day kindergarten so I know EXACTLY how you feel!!!! Take a bunch of wild four and five year olds after lunch time, WHEW!! Well, what I do is after lunch we do workshop and I play classical music. I told them that classical music will make our brains bigger and smarter so we have to work quietly and whisper. Works most of the time. Then if they do a good job, they get a warm, fuzzy ball in the class jar. I do whatever it takes to keep control.

9. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Sep 7, 2006

Oh yes, classical music is a great tamer.

10. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Sep 8, 2006

Sometimes, the kids are just restless and need movement...

There are some great active stories, such as Dinosaurumpus (off the top of my head) that can be read and the kids can be making noise along with the story. After they are allowed to be noisy, then they are usually able to handle being quiet again.

yes, classical music works wonders for helping to calm them back down as well...just don't expect it all day long with second graders...

As my daughters' second grade teacher used to say...create the noise breaks where you want them and they will be quiet when you want them as well. She used to have a "noisy activity" for at least 5 minutes each hour to hour and a half.

11. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

Sep 8, 2006

Yes - I had the exact situation today! and I came home and cried!! I literally said the same thing - "I'm exhausted, a failure, and so not cut out for this!!" So you definitely have people in the same boat. But I came home, and dissected my day, bit by bit. where did it go wrong?
    1) I realized that my classroom management plan is just not consistent enough. So I did a little tweaking to the consequences. I also added a little prevention - a certain period in class where walking, and talking are allowed and encouraged.
    2) I decided on a different seating plan (clusters) that would help me manage my new management system.
    3) I also thought through each aspect that contributed to the chaos
    (ex: calling out, transitions, etc. and practiced how I would respond to each.
    4) and lastly, I am reminding myself over and over... they are first graders. they are 6 years old. half of them are probably crying out - I wanna go back to kindergaarten, where we had naptime, a play kitchen, and I dint have to sit in a desk for so long!! They are just first graders, and they are still learning how to be students.
    Good luck tomorrow! I know I'm going to need some. LOTS. I have no idea if it's going to work, but I'm definitely going to try.

12. Stacey23

Stacey23 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006

I came to these boards today with this problem and I am so glad I found a thread already started! My class is always talking and calling out. Nothing is working (moving clips, loss of recess time) I don't know what to do! PLEASE KEEP THE IDEAS COMING!

13. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Sep 8, 2006

Fun Friday

I also teach second grade and I have a pretty good group except they like to talk a lot. My consequences weren't really working. The same students had time out. I write notes home constantly. That wasn't working. I even paddled two (at the parents request). That didn't change things either. On Monday, I announced that on Friday we were going to have a "Fun Friday". I explained that we would paint, play with play dough, play games and do fun and excited art projects. The kids got really excited. I really played it up. Then I announced that only the students who had an "A" in conduct for the week would get to participate. SO today we had our "Fun Friday" and I had about 10 who didn't get to participate. We had a discussion of why they didn't get to participate and what they thought they could do different so they could participate next week. We will see what happens next week. I am hoping that this will be an incentive for good classroom behavior. :)

14. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Sep 8, 2006

Where in GA? I am a new second grade teacher also, I just moved here from NJ.

15. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

Try implementing table points. Table groups get a point for being on task, having a clean desk area, participation etc. For the first while you may have to say "I am looking to give out some table points" but after that just walking over to the board and giving a table a point will quiet the entire class down. At the end of the week, count up all of the points as a class and give the kids with most a small prize. Works very well!

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 9, 2006

I find that a quiet time activity after lunch and recess is best. I eat with my students, so I can gage their activity level before lunch recess is over. On the days that they are really wired, I start with a quiet listening activity. I always do a listening activity during the afternoon. If they are just tired and cranky, I read to them and allow them to take breaks just a few at a time. I have discovered that my students are harder to control when they take bathroom breaks all together, and when there are other classes in the hall it is worse. This seems to work for me.

I have to teach math after lunch and recess, so I have to have them in control before we start. If I try to rush into math, I usually regret it.

17. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Sep 9, 2006

With the talking I had to ask myself a few questions...

1) Are they talking when I'm teaching or another student is talking?
    2) Are they talking during work time? If so, is the class still getting their work done?

I've had classes that were just social kids and as long as they got their work done and weren't cheating I gave up the fight and let them talk, but only during work time, not tests, and NEVER during instruction or when others were sharing. It actually made for a GREAT year! We had a lot of fun. I also told them that if I could hear their conversations at the next table etc they were too loud and if they couldn't bring it down they had to stop completely.

This year I have a class that I have to keep the work time conversations to a minimum.

18. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Sep 9, 2006

My days end up with very smooth easy mornings and a bit frustrated afternoons. I think it is that I am more of a morning type person and by afternoons I am tired as well and have had it too...so my patience tends to wane after lunch.

What I have found to help is giving the kids 5 minutes to just talk...a break from me trying to maintain their behavior. They seem to like that and then we can go on with our afternoon.

Also...I have to keep in mind if I am hormonal or not...because that really plays into how I perceive everything...this week...HORMONAL!! :)

I think the above poster is right...there are some social classes who just like to chat...and if they are getting their work done...paying attention at lesson time and not cheating...is it really going to matter if they are talking?? I know that I find myself wanting to run a very rigid environment at times and have to realize that I am the one who needs to just lighten up.

19. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

Sep 9, 2006

I have to agree with the advice about being social. I've come to realize that 6 year olds are pretty social, and they do love to talk, share crayons and compare drawings. trying to stop them (when they are otherwise getting their work done) can just be counterproductive for me. A book that I found helpful is Yardsticks, by Chip Wood. It provides an outline of each age and what you can expect from a typical child at that age - developmentally, socially, academicaly. This way, if you have a 4th grade classroom, and you realize that they are by nature chatty and talkative, you can expect it and work it into the curriculum, rather than try to swim against the tide. The more you know about the age, the less frustration there is, I think.:)

20. 2ndGradeSub

2ndGradeSub Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

Yes, I have pin pointed some of the areas I need tweaking in. I find that the problem with the first 3 days were probably my lessons. I did several worksheets, and by the 3rd or 4th one they were like, "Ugghh, do we have to again?" This was my first time starting off a year, I did also do activities which they really seemed to enjoy, but they seemed to talk the most while they were completing their worksheets. I really hope it's not to late to start really setting down the rules on Monday. I also hope that now since this will be the first full week and I will be delving into the curriculum and they will begin using their books they will be better behaved.
    Also, I also found out that the no recess consequence doesn't seem to effect some students. So, I might have to add something to that consequence. I also like the idea of table points! I may start doing that. Thank You. Good to know I am not the only one out there that is going through this.