Beating Out an Internal Candidate

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacher304, Aug 7, 2011.

1. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 7, 2011

I am interviewing for a position next week at a school and know there is a candidate who has been a leave replacement for the past year and a half there. I was a day-to-day sub in the building two years ago but was not there at all last year.

Any tips to beat out someone who has been there.

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2011

I beat out an internal candidate for my position- in fact they pretty much thought it was a done deal for this person to get it, and were interviewing others as more of a formality until my P decided to hire me instead. I think the advantage that the internal candidate has is that they know a lot about the school/programs, etc. Since you were a sub there, I would play up your knowledge of the school and how things run, so that puts you on equal ground with the candidate. I was really interested in the particular learning program that my school follows, so I had really researched it and talked about how I was so excited about the program in my interview. If you can, try to mention specifics that would show that you know you are a good fit for the school. For example, in my interview I talked about how I am really into hands on projects and inquiry based learning, which is why I was so excited about our expeditionary learning program. That let the P start thinking about me fitting in just as easily as an internal candidate who already knew about the program. Good luck!

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2011

I know that many outside people have been hired over internal candidates, so there is hope. What will help you:
    1) research the job
    2) research the school
    3) brush up on your interviewing skills and responses
    4) come up with a list of questions that you honestly are curious about that can't be found on their website

When I quit my last job, many people who have had some sort of connections to the school applied. But they hired someone from the outside. So, don't fret. There is hope.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 7, 2011

At my last job, I was hired over two internal candidates. My passion for teaching was what clenched the job.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2011

We have had several instances in the past few years where an external candidate was hired over long term subs who were working in the school already. Go in prepared to shine!

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 7, 2011

Last year, I was the internal candidate who was beat out for a job. I had done a 5 month maternity leave in the district, the principal had told me he was very happy with me and encouraged me to apply for the open position. All the grade level teachers told me that they were pulling for me. Even his secretary, whose child had been one of my students, told me I was a lock. Well, they found someone with years of experience at the same grade level, were impressed by her, and gave her the job. So, devastating for me but it does illustrate that the internal candidate is not necessarily one to get the job.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 7, 2011

Long term subs are considered internal candidates? They would not be in my district nor any of the ones surrounding me.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 8, 2011

Often times, a job posting states: Internal applicants get prioirty.

So, if it says that, I don't know how you can get around it unless the job is still meant for you. But, if the posting doesn't specifically say about priority, you really have to stress how knowledgeable you are about their procedures, how used to their methods you are, & how you know so & so (even if you don't know if the person's still there) & how much of a good rapport you had w/ the staff, office staff, etc. The thing is, the replacement candidate will be more updated on what's been going on, but you can't help what that person knows. All you can do is your best.

Good luck!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

Wouldn't be considered internal in my district either.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

True...brain blip on my part. In my school board, teachers who are already under contract who wish to transfer, or those who are displaced because of enrollment, are interviewing at a different time than those who aren't already employed by the board and those transfers usually must be completed by mid-June (I think). Only after that will positions open up to other candidates, usually those who have been doing long-term positions. I think that the only teachers who are ever hired to a contract position without going through subbing and long-term subbing are those who can teach French.