Beating myself up! Blew the Haberman survey

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Kippers, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Jun 8, 2008

Hi everyone!

I haven't posted here in a while. I'm just so mad at myself I had to post.

I'm seeking an intern position in spec. ed. and I'm REALLY close to landing a position with one district- all it takes is the final principal interview. I'm going for SDC high school English.

So, I had to take the Haberman online survey to see if I have the qualities to work with inner city youth. I take it first with my credit card to see the test and do mediocre. I do some reading, put some thought into it, pay again and score in the top quartile- it tells me I'm a star teacher.

Then I get cocky and take the test using the district password. I'm at a university library. Just as I start to take the test, some high-volume non-stop talking kid comes in and starts to yabber. I throw darts with my eyes but I am SO MAD at myself for not screening him out or telling him to shut up. My score is mediocre- the same test- the same questions (in a different order) and I'm down to the second quartile.

There's no way I can retake it using the same password.

This is a screening tool used in hiring for this district, and I'm scoring as mediocre. It said I was low in all the critical areas: :down: valuing student learning, relating to students, surviving in a bureaucracy.

Do you have any suggestions? This would be such a good district to start in, and my target group really is urban youth.

Do you think it would make sense to retake the test and send the screening guy the new score?

Thanks everyone!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2008

I think so, and I think I'd be prepared to tell the screening guy pretty much what you've said here - especially that you know exactly what it's like to be thrown offstride by a test and/or testing circumstance and that this will better equip you to help the district's students cope and recover when THEY get thrown offstride.