Beanie Baby Strategies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 28, 2008

Some people were asking for the Beanie Baby Strategies... I think it was another A-Zer who helped us track down these posters that had been lost in cyberspace. Here you go:

http://www.realclassroomideas.com/194.html

3. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Jul 28, 2008

I have so many beanie babies its not even funny. I used to collect them and on top of that I took all of my grandmothers when she passed.

...sadly all that work and they are now bagged up & in the attic. I haven't seen them in years.

Very cute idea though.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2008

Thanks for posting the link. I've got it somewhere but would have to dig it up. I've been collecting beanies this summer and have all of the decoding and comprehension beanies EXCEPT the eagle. I've been searching high and low for the eagle. Haven't found him yet.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 28, 2008

I got three eagles from a lady at the Audobon society. They use to make the eagle sound, but luckily the sound thing is broken. I'm trying to stick to beanies, but these are pretty similar.

You would think these things would be easier to find!!

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 28, 2008

7. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

Thanks Jem! I like this idea a lot....is there a way to use the beanies for a bboard in prek?

8. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

Thanks Jem! I was curious when you first mentioned this. I already called my mom and asked her to bring our old bins of Beanie Babies to me tomorrow when she visits.

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

Do stores still sell beanie babies?

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 28, 2008

Amazon does. Go to my original link and you can see links to purchasing all of them. Some of the used prices are quite good!

11. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

12. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

I love this beanie baby idea! A great way to get students thinking and using a fun stuffed animal too :)

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 28, 2008

Yeah, I'm trying to get several of each so they can take them to their reading area and hold them as they read. I found these cute stacking mini-crates at Walmart for 97 cents each that hold about 5 of the beanies in each crate. So I got fourteen and will have then stacked over by the books. I can grab a crate for a mini-lesson, or kids can get the beanies out when they want them. The crates are white with bubble cut-outs on the side-totally cute, and I think I should be able to glue labels on the outside. I'll make some labels right now if you guys want to use them.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 28, 2008

15. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2008

Jem!!!! Is your site down?

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

Yeah. Sorry. I just haven't had time to comb through for all the stupid Mailbox stuff they want down. My husband found another sheet I had uploaded, so we pulled it immediately. I can't risk a huge lawsuit because I accidentally left one graphic organizer up. I guess I can work on it a bit right now. It always puts me in a bad mood, though. I hate having to pull stuff off it.

17. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2008

Wow! You're fast on the response!

I gather there were copyright issues with her stuff? I found the decoding strategy posters on another message board, but I need the comprehension ones. And I know I read about Flippy the Dolphin, but can't find that one anywhere (although I remember it was flipping the vowel sound from short to long). Any chance you could pm/email me the comprehension stratetgies?

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

Ok. I'm going through the site ONE MORE TIME (that was more for me than anyone else. I'm sick of clicking every link on my site). Every link will be clicked. Then, I'm done. I hope to have it back up by 5pm CA time. Then you will have access to the posters.

19. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2008

Aw, thanks, Jem! Sorry this has turned into such a headache for you!

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

Ok! It's back up. Whew.

21. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

OMG! This is too cute! I'm going to have to share that with some of the elementary teachers at my school!

22. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I found an old Klutz advertising stand that turns (about 5 1/2 feet high) I printed out the posters for both strategies (I made them smaller) using a lazer printer and they look fabulous. I mounted each poster and next to each one velcroed the corresponding beanie baby so they can be removed easily. One side is for reading and the other for comprehension. I am only missing the eagle and hope to find it prior to school starting.

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

I like the idea of velcroing the beanies! I bought little boxes at walmart to keep them in. They fit splendidly.

24. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2008

Thank you so much!!!!

Was I just imagining the dolphin? Where did I read that?

And I would love to see more photos from teachers of how they display them. I don't think I can devote a whole bulletin board. I only have one of each animal.

Hmmm. I have to think on this. I was thinking of just having them on my shelf, or maybe in a basket. But I'm not sure how I want to display the posters.

25. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

I'm just going to put up a poster or two at a time, and then I got 97 cent plastic boxes from Walmart. They are like milk crates, only smaller. They stack really nicely, and fit about 5-6 beanies. I'm just slowly collecting as many as I can, through garage slaes and Freecycle. I put labels on the front of the boxes, so the kids can just grab the ones they want to use. I think I might laminate the posters and then they can take the posters back to their desks with them. I like that idea. Or put them on half sheets of paper, so they are smaller and can travel. Hmmmmm....

26. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 9, 2008

I found an ad for a garage sale close to my house in the morning that will be selling Beanie Babies. I've made my list and will be there bright and early. They said they open at 9:00 a.m. and they didn't want any "early shoppers". So, I'll leave my house about 10 minutes ahead of time and sit and wait down the road. I'm bound and determined to get those Beanies. They are adverstising them for only $0.50 each. I've made my list and I'm READY! Maybe if I tell them I'm a teacher, they'll sell them cheaper...

27. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 9, 2008

Jem, you never cease to amaze me with your resourcefulness and creativity! I'm so stealing this idea!

28. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Aug 9, 2008

found all the beanie babies and then some!

I just wanted to tell you about another resource to find those missing beanie babies. Check out those antique malls (similar to a neighborhood garage sale), you know the ones they always have on bill boards, saying next exit. They have many stations where ppl sell pretty much everything. There is always one that is selling beanies, I always ask when I walk in, because some of those places are pretty big. At each antique mall I found at least one beanie for $2 or less. I have been in about 6, and have found at least 2 of each animal all together. This last one I went to, there was a HUGE mound of them, I pillaged through many and found one of each! They even had 6 iguanas, I only walked away with 2.

I read that you are mounting them on with velcro, any other ways?

Rox ;)