Bean Bag Chairs or Something Similar

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by akbeck98, Jun 29, 2006.

1. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Jun 29, 2006

Hello!

I teach 4th grade and am looking into getting a few bean bag chairs for my classroom this year. They seem to be very expensive. I'm looking for where to buy them and the cheapest you have found.

If you have any tips for other items you have used instead of bean bag chairs that would be helpful too!

Thanks!
    Amanda

3. flteacher7

flteacher7 Rookie

Jun 29, 2006

Amanda,

I never actually bought the beanbag chairs, but I usually see them on sale at Target during the "Back to School" sale, which by my calculations will be starting pretty soon here in Florida! :wow: :eek: I've seen others use large pillows in place of beanbag chairs - either the really long ones or the square ones that are oversized. Good luck! :)

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 29, 2006

Do you have a Big Lots nearby? I got huge denim floor pillows for $9.99.

5. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jun 29, 2006

If you have any sewing skills I can send you a SUPER easy pattern. I used packing peanuts (you can get them filled @ the UPS store for $2.50 each) and managed to make some special ones for my son for under $7 each. You could do them for a lot less if you bought some nice good quality sheets @ the salvation army for $1-$2 each (instead of spending $3.45 a yard like I did).

PM me if you want the pattern.

~J

PS~ They took me about 1 hour each to make (not including the 20 mins at the UPS store to have 5 of them filled).

6. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 29, 2006

bean bag chairs

If there is a Garden Ridge in your area you should check there. They start at about ten dollars.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2006

You can find empty bean bag chairs online and have them filled at UPS. They are listed sometimes as "empty bean bags", "unfilled bean bags", or "bean bag skins". I have seen them on eBay previously for about $5, although I was checking earlier for myself and didn't find anything I liked at this time. There are other places, however, that sell these unfilled bean bags...I'll be looking and update this if I find anything.

8. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Jun 29, 2006

Oh! About a week ago I went to WalMart and they had these inflatable chairs on sale. The fabric is really thick and covers an inflatable chair. I got 2 for $8 a piece and my kids at home love them. I figure once the chairs pop, I can fill them as bean bags! Check out the clearance areas and see if you have any. They came in princess, sports balls, and cammo.

9. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jun 29, 2006

I use camping chairs in my reading center. If you do not get the kind of chairs you really want before school starts, put them on a "wish list." Parents can often supply stuff like that.

10. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jun 29, 2006

By popular demand - Here is the pattern. It was "made" for me by a friend that made her own just by looking at one her son already owned and so she made me this pattern so I could see how she did it. The pics are rough and I think the directions could use improvement, but it is really very easy.

Sorry - I had to make the pic large enough to see. [​IMG]

If you have any questions, I can try to help you out.

~J

11. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jun 30, 2006

Ps~

On the salvation army fabric note. I make baby quilts and sell them as a side job (I won't give the addy because I don't want to seem like I am soliciting) and at baby boutiques. I FREQUENTLY use sheets I find at the Sal Army. They are great continuous pieces of fabric and if you shop smart you can get GREAT quality fabric. I frequently find children's patterned fabric (with power rangers, thomas the train, dora, ed.edd.and eddy, peanuts, barbie, etc) and some great kids retro stuff too (transformers, old skool scooby, holly hobbie, strawberry shortcake, etc). OR - some fun retro prints and some great girlie flowery prints.

My entire bedroom set is handmade from these GREAT vintage sheets.

And as a side note - I make MORE money off the blankies I sell that use vintage sheets because I can say "made with 70% vintage fabric"

Just make sure you check for staining on the sheets and for excessive pilling. For minor pilling use a sweater trimmer. Wash them before using them and add 1 tbspn of bleach (every sheet I have encountered regardless of color has been colorfast) to sanitize.

I go to 1/2 off Wednesdays here locally and besides recently proving myself with a 4K teaching wardrobe of all name brands ($350 Casual corner skirt suit for $6!) for under $60 - I can usually find sheets for $1-$4 each.

~J

12. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 30, 2006

Thanks for posting that pattern! I can't wait to try it out!

13. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 30, 2006

I had video rockers given to me by the students in my classroom for Christmas a couple of years ago. They lasted three years and just had to be thrown out this past spring. When looking at getting replacements, I am going to be very cognizant of finding something that can easily be sanitized. So anything fabric is not coming in my room unless it is those camping chairs; I can always spray them down without fear of ruining them.

Oh... double check your fire code. You may end up not being able to use pillows and chairs in your room for that reason also. In addition to my chairs getting roughed-up, our fire chief did not particularily care for them and "preferred" to see them removed from my room. A friend of mine had to get rid of a loveseat/couch that she had in her classroom because of fire concerns. I am sure by next year, all fabric furniture will have to be out in order for us to meet code.

14. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jun 30, 2006

I found a picture of tuffets on a teachers page and then made my own. I will post the link below. My mom and I made two of them in about hour and a half. You just get the five gallon buckets from Home Depot and some fabric. I only sewed the seam and hemmed them, then glued them to the bucket. I also like them b/c I can store my stuffed animals inside. They are really cute!

I also have pillows in my room and my first year I sent a note home asking if any parents sewed. I had quite a few, so I sent the fabric I had collected from Walmart or the fabric stores (all remnants), and they made me pillows. It was great b/c I got back all different sizes.

Here is the tuffet link:
    http://www.thevirtualvine.com/teachertips.html
    Scroll about half way down to see the picture.

15. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Jun 30, 2006

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Wow I just joined this site and I am so greatful for all that have responded! YOU all gave such wonderful ideas! Thank you so much!

Amanda

16. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jun 30, 2006

NCP, I like the tuffet idea!

I have also heard of taking milk crates and turning them upside down and putting a chair cushion on top. Target has cute bean bags in their camping section that go on sale at the end of summer.