be real with me.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FourSquare, Oct 7, 2010.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 7, 2010

Right now I am working with not one, but TWO other teachers, my mentor and another student teacher. We are struggling with juggling everything: differentiation, IEPs, meetings, culturally relevant teaching, classroom management, written plans, parent communication, data and assessments, integrated subjects, keeping kids motivated, and everything else you guys know about. And there's three of us!

I'm really worried that I wont be able to do it all on my own next year. I always said I was going to be this creative and engaging teacher that really makes kids feel safe enough to learn. The more I work in my classroom and the more I observe other teachers, it seems like everybody's hanging on for their dear lives. I've seen so many teachers teach off of worksheets and low-level thinking questions because they don't have time to be Amazing or unique. We're even guilty of this a lot in my room.

Does that Amazing classroom really exist? Can I do that? Or was I just being naive? I made a commitment to work in high-needs classrooms because I really wanted to make a difference. (I knowwwww, so lame!) But it's SO HARD. There are 40,000 things to manage at one time. My favorite thing to teach right now is math because Everyday Math spells it out for you and I don't have to panic. I never wanted to teach straight from the guide, but there's just not enough time to work it all out. I'm at school from 7am-7pm, and trust me I don't stop working when I get home!

I'm not quitting of course, I'm just a little disappointed in myself. I want to be my best for these kids because they deserve it and I don't know how long I can keep all these plates spinning in the air. :dizzy: I really envision my classroom being a place where all children make some kind of gains because their teacher taught them with lots of hands-on lessons and cooperative learning. Am I being totally unrealistic? :sorry:

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 7, 2010

You find the time. When I was in high school I was the kid who was doing 1st period homework in homeroom and 2nd period homework in 1st period class. I still feel like that most days-because we only have so many hours in the day. You learn to multi-task and choose what's most necessary to get done for the next day. And absolutely you can make learning fun and exciting with hands-on/cooperative activities-the kids will make the gains because of that choice.

I'm not going to say it's easy-it's definitely not, but if you're passionate about what you do (which it really sounds like you are) it doesn't matter.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2010

You start with making one lesson, one unit, one subject more engaging and each year you add to it. So, it may take you a few years, but eventually you'll get to math! If you make one more lesson excellent, then you are making a difference!

5. jakissko

jakissko Rookie

Oct 7, 2010

RE:

Hi FourSquare, it's definitely a juggling act. When I was a first year teacher, I had very noble intentions of walking in my classroom that first day and "changing the world." Yes, teachers do change the world, but my previous "hero" attitude has shifted to a model that's more forgiving for my lack of knowledge because I know I am determined to figure out how to get the job done right.

When my TAKS scores came back after that first year and they weren't an accurate reflection of the passion and dedication I put into my classes, I was a little disappointed initially. However, I knew that undoubtedly done all that I could have done, I learned a lot that year, and I continually seek to learn more. Therefore, it was a successful school year.

Commit yourself to a lifetime of learning and implementing your new knowledge, and you'll do great.

Johnny Kissko
    K12mobilelearning.com

6. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Oct 7, 2010

It gets better all the time. My first year teaching I came up with the idea to work on one new project a week. Most of mine are small enough that it only takes about a week. This way, when I feel badly that writing isn't going the way I want it to, I can say, OK, next week - I come up with a great new writing plan.

But really, the first year is very hard and as you go through you'll find it easier and easier to use the programs and you'll find different strategies from each one. It will not be what you planned in college, but it will still be something good.

7. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 7, 2010

It DOES get better each year. My mentee pretty much said the same as you did today. As his mentor, my advice more or less was the same as the other replies. Each year you add to your resources. I do advise getting a large file cabinet!!! If a lesson works well, file it for next year. Then all you have to do is tweek it. I'm in the process of helping my mentee become more organized, and this has helped him. Don't make it hard on yourself. Also, "pick the brains" of your school family. As for projects -- google, google, google. Don't let anyone tell you something won't work -- it might for you. Hang in there and pray, pray, pray. The "pay-back" comes when you realize that you are making a difference in the lives of your students. I felt as you did, too. However, the first time a kid came back and thanked me for being his teacher - and telling me that he is now in law school ---- it's a feeling that cannot be described. Like swimming in chocolate (lol).

8. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2010

You have four other people in your SQUARE!:D
    Hang in there and really get the best out of it all.
    -PRIORITIZE your time and plans
    -Get together with your people and pick :2cents:out their brains
    -Do a signed contract of who is doing what SO you know who's getting the :)STAR when they do a GREAT job!
    -Look for the POSITIVE vibes and be that cheerleader for your group
    -Praise them for the GREAT job and let them see into a future about great children that you are all working so hard on.
    MAKE time to get it together b4 you're on your own. It will make it so much easier to do it all by yourself, when you are confident!
    Never underestimate yourself!
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 9, 2010

Thanks, guys! I had a meeting today with one of my professors who's also a teacher and she made me feel a lot better. I think we've been working too hard and not very smart. I have a plan now. I need to relax and take things one day at a time. :dizzy: