"be more exciting" ARGH

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bored of Ed, Feb 14, 2008.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 16, 2008

Wow! I would want to work for her!!

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2008

Oo: we can form our own chapter of Geeks Anonymous? "Hello, I'm TeacherGroupie and I'm a recovering know-it-some."

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2008

(cackling gleefully)

Loomis, you're subversive! (And now I can't remember the line about youth inevitably losing to age and treachery... shucks!)

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2008

I am in awe.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 16, 2008

Tg, you're hysterical. The geeks anonymous thing :D:D:D:D

Loomi, I wish all bosses were like that, or at least had that same sort of spirit.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2008

It's a dirty job, mmswm, but someone's gotta...

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 16, 2008

When I interviewed to work at the district where I currently work, I was given an oral true/false test. The only question where I hesitated because I wasn't sure what answer they were looking for was "Teachers are entertainers - true or false". I answered false and that was the correct answer. So according to them, if you act like a clown then you are not being an effective teacher.

On a side note, one of my LEP students (who has trouble with grammar tenses) is constantly telling me how "boring" he is. I correct him of course and say "you aren't boring, you are bored" but it tickles me every time, because I am, in effect saying it's not him that's boring, it's me.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 16, 2008

I think the powers that be have forgotten the difference between interesting and entertaining. Yes, it is our jobs to attempt to make the material as interesting as we can. Some subjects lend themselves to that better than others. We are not, however, entertainers. There's a huge difference.

9. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Feb 17, 2008

Wow,This principal should win principal of the year in a run-away.This is a person who understands the importance of high teacher moral and is not afraid to actually put herself on the firing line and learn what her school is really like. I hope I am wrong,but I bet this principal has retired and has been replaced by someone who likes to criticize teachers,but does little to help them improve. That seem to be the motto of most administrators today.