Be glad this isn't the parent of YOUR student

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Sep 3, 2009.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 3, 2009

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2009

Oh my god, that's hysterical. :rofl:

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 3, 2009

Crap, that is funny!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2009

I love it!!!!!

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 3, 2009

What a smart parent! This is hilarious!

7. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Sep 3, 2009

Wow!!! I love it. I understand supply lists as a teacher, but as a parent, I have often wanted to send similar letters to teachers.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 3, 2009

Oh my! :lol: :D

9. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 3, 2009

that's hilarious...it's a shame it's a fake, because I'm sure people on here have seen just as crazy letters and parents!!:lol:

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2009

As a mom who had to go out and buy more stuff after the district changed the list at some point in the summer, I'm liking that mom a LOT!!!

And, no, I still haven't replaced Kira's assorted marble covered notebooks with the black ones, as per the new list. Neither Target nor Walmart had any marble covered ones left.

11. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 3, 2009

I can relate, lol.

12. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Sep 3, 2009

hysterical!

13. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Sep 3, 2009

Funny.

I do sometimes have to purchase weird things for my nephew. One time the teacher told him that HE NEEDS to have a computer at home. My sister and I were running around like a chicken with the head cut off to try and get the best bargain - of which at the time- we could not afford.

I do agree with the parent in some ways (though she was disrespectful). At times some teachers expect a lil bit too much.

14. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Sep 3, 2009

Very funny! I just sent the link to some co-workers who have been dealing with some crazy parents the past couple of days!

15. Hoosier Jay

Hoosier Jay Rookie

Sep 3, 2009

Funny! My sister kind of had the same moment. The school website had the supplies list listed by grade and what they needed. It was a long list, and she got everything on it. A week later before school starts she gets another list from the teacher, just as long and completely different of what they will need. That was one pricey venture, I can see where parents get aggravated with these things.

16. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 3, 2009

That wasn't me, I swear!

But it very well could have been.

My version would have had better grammar, though.

17. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Sep 3, 2009

Kind of funny, but I can imagine the stress parents go through.

18. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Sep 3, 2009

too funny!

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 4, 2009

I'm imagining an interpretive dance of a geometry proof.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2009

If ONLY I weren't recovering from surgery...:lol:

21. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 4, 2009

Oh wow... could that be real??? It couldn't be.... could it?

I may have nightmares about that parent!

22. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 4, 2009

HAHAHAHA

I swear... I could have written that note some years!

The... "spiral notebooks with 80 pages" Hey, you're getting 70 pages...and you'll be happy with it!

Dealing with crying kids saying "I HAVE TO HAVE it THIS way. She'll HATE me!" After you have gone to the 5th store searching for the mythical item (and you've discussed it with every mom in the area- and they are dealing with the same thing). By the first day of school- we were ready to lynch that teacher.

But interpretive dance???? HAHAHAHHAHA

Our church will have intrepretive dance at times. And my friend wants to run out of there screaming when they do. My favorite moment is when I can lean over and say to him... "John, that woman on stage? Is she barefoot? And is that a scarf she's carrying?" And then to watch him bury his head into his Bible.

:lol:

23. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 4, 2009

It's a fake. I'm sure that real parents have written similar stuff, though!!

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 4, 2009

Ah. I tracked down the original version of this here. It's a response to a teacher, all right, but it was left on a blog and not actually sent to school with the child. Can you just imagine if it had been?!?

25. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Sep 4, 2009

Can someone post the text? My school computer blocks the site:mad:

26. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 4, 2009

Here's the text... I've editted slightly in italics to make it more A-Z Friendly:

Dear Mrs. X:

In just over a week, you will be my son’s Grade 1 teacher. He is ever so excited to be under your tutelage. Why, since the last day of kindergarten, entering your class was all he could talk about. He gleefully thrust a piece of paper into my hand on that June afternoon, and said, “Here’s a list of the stuff I need for school next September!”

And I have to admit, I, too, was excited. I’m a school supplies geek from way back. And so, in early August, I set out to buy the items you’d listed.

It was on my fourth store that the realization began to sink in.

You’re a crafty woman, aren’t you?

This list was a thinly disguised test. Could I find the items, exactly as you’d prescribed? Because if not, my son would be That Kid, the one with the Problem Mother, Who Can’t Follow Directions.

For example, the glue sticks you requested. In the 40 gram size. Three of the little buggers. (What kind of massive, sticky project you’ve got planned for the first day of school that would require the students to bring all this glue, I cannot imagine.) But the 40 gram size doesn’t come in a convenient 3-pack. The 30 gram size does. But clearly, those would be wildly inappropriate. So I got the individually priced 40’s, as per your instructions.

Another bit of fun was your request for 2 packs of 8 Crayola crayons (basic colors). The 24 packs, with their 24 different colors, sat there, on sale. I could have purchased three of the 24 packs for the price I had to pay for the 8 packs. (Clearly, you’ll not be teaching the youngsters any sort of economics lessons this year.) Even the cashier looked at me, as if to say, “Pardon me, ma’am, but are you slow?” as I purchased these non-bargain crayons. But that’s what the list said. And I was committed to following the list.

But the last item, well, now, you saved your malice up for that one, didn’t you? “8 mm ruled notebooks”, you asked for. Simple enough. Except the standard size is seven millimetres. One. Millimetre. Difference. Do you realize, Mrs. X., exactly how infinitesimal the difference between 7 mm ruling and 8 mm ruling is? Pretty small, I assure you. The thickness of a fingernail, approximately. But that millimetre, that small bit of nothingness, made me drive to four different stores, over the course of three sweaty August hours. And when I finally, finally found the last remaining 8 mm notebooks, I took no pleasure in my victory. I merely shifted my focus. To you, Mrs. X.

You wanna dance, lady? Let’s dance.

Because I am just expletive removed crazy enough to play your games. And, in turn, come up with some of my own.

On show and share day, my son will be bringing the video of his birth. It will be labelled, “Ben’s First Puppy.” Enjoy.

He will be given a list of words, and daily, he will ask you what they mean. Words such as, “pedophile”, “anti-semite”, and “skank”. Good luck with those.

At some point, you will attempt to teach him mathematics. And I’m quite sure that, like most of your ilk, you will require my son to “show his work”. And he will.

Through interpretive dance.

Because that is who you’ve chosen to tangle with, toots. A stay at home mom who is not entirely balanced, and has altogether too much time on her hands. But is, most certainly, A Mother Who Can Follow Directions.

Sincerely,

Ginny

27. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Sep 4, 2009

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2009

Ginny is my hero!

29. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 4, 2009

I was actually not that thrilled that the parents in my class had to bring me a usb to put class pictures on at the end of the year. I'd prefer just to buy a CD (four students) and I have to keep up with it all year and remember where the heck I stashed it.

30. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

This is too funny.

31. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 5, 2009

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 5, 2009

That is awesome!

I bought all my highschooler's supplies, providing an A day and B day binder with all the fixings. One week into school and the football program requires that every student have one 4 inch binder with dividers for each subject on both A day and B day and 4 additional labeled plastic pocket dividers within each subject. Kids can't play unless they comply. I spent an addional $35.

33. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 5, 2009

That was absolutely hilarious! I know parents who can relate, too!!! :) Obviously, I haven't endured the torture of being a mom in this situation- yet. :cool:

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2009

My sister and her family were over for a BBQ.

My 14 year old niece needs a gray binder for one class.

Honestly??? GRAY???? How easy is THAT to find????? And exactly why is it necessary????

35. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2009

My child's school waits until the first day of school to send a list of required supplies from individual teachers. Yeah.. That's not good since all the sales will be over by then. We bought the basics but there are always incredibly strange requests that are dificult to find after school on the first day back.

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2009

There are lots of gray 1 1/2" binders at the Wal-Mart nearest to me. Lauren likes a different coloured binder for each class and I got the last bright blue, purple, white and pick--the person after me gets gray because that's all that was left.