Be careful what you hear if you listen to Christian radio stations

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, May 3, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 3, 2011

I mainly listen to a positive upbeat radio station but there is another one that's on AM radio that I'll listen to when it's playing music but some of the talking parts can really be "depressing" about what they choose to talk about kind of like this morning. I had it on in the background and quickly turned it off- I would never do that with the main Christian radio station I listen to unless I am turning it off because I had to leave the room, etc. Anyways...this guy was talking about 5-21-11...and so I looked it up on the internet but don't believe a person can predict when Jesus will come. I don't believe we know when that will happen but he claims that's the day...anyways I'm a Christian but view that guy almost like a cult leader with the way he was talking and how negative he was....so I am not going to listen to that station again even the music part. It just set my day off feeling so gloomy and that's not how Jesus wants us to feel! The article is online and other sites although I do not believe in *their* teachings about predicting when Jesus will come (I am a Christian) :
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40885541/ns/us_news-life/

Anyone else with me that people cannot predict when Jesus will come?! I don't want to feel alone!

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 3, 2011

Jesus told His disciples that even HE did not know the exact hour of His Return. Only God, the Father, knows that.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 3, 2011

I was going to say something similar, Cerek.

That's kind of strange that they would be saying that, TennisPlayer. I would have turned it off, too.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 3, 2011

On one of the main roads here there is a billboard that says the same thing. On the bottom it shows that it was sponsored by a radio station. I really hope these wackos don't make people start to panic.

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 3, 2011

Lol...no, I do NOT believe people can predict him coming again. How stupid.

7. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

May 3, 2011

Harold Camping, who predicted the May 21st date, also (erroneously, obviously) predicted the return of Christ in 1994. And 1988. I think the Jehovah's Witnesses have also predicted the end of the world about a dozen times. People who make failed predictions somehow don't seem to realize they should stop making them.

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 3, 2011

I wonder if Mr. Camping has a savings or retirement plan. It isn't like he is going to need it!

Harold Camping has stated that the witness of the Church is over and that God has destroyed it. Believers should leave the church. He has concluded that the Church is dead, only existing as a shell of its former self. There should no longer be pastors, elders, or deacons. People should not be submitting to spiritual leadership. He says that the Holy Spirit is no longer present in the Church and that people who are accepting Christ as Savior in the Church are really not saved since the Holy Spirit is not present there.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Harold-Camping-family-radio.html

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 3, 2011

Well it is obvious the guy has a problem. All of those statements are contrary to the direct teachings of the Bible.

Sad he is so messed up. I WISH Jesus was returning on the
    21st!

These kinds of people are who mess up people's view of Christianity. So negative and anti-Christian teaching. You were right to turn it off. Maybe you should complain to the station - if they get enough complaints, they might take him off the air.

10. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 3, 2011

I have seen "Save the date" billboards about May 21, but you are right--no one knows the day or hour. Even so come quickly Lord Jesus!

11. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 3, 2011

Yup!

12. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 3, 2011

Yes!

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 3, 2011

If you believe what the Bible says, we are told that His coming will be like a thief in the night. So, I think that's your answer.

Here are some Biblical references:

1 Thessalonians 5:2-4 (NIV) for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 3 While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. 4 But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.

Isaiah 29:5-6 (NIV) But your many enemies will become like fine dust, the ruthless hordes like blown chaff. Suddenly, in an instant, 6 the LORD Almighty will come with thunder and earthquake and great noise, with windstorm and tempest and flames of a devouring fire.

Malachi 3:1 (NIV) "See, I will send my messenger, who will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple; the messenger of the covenant, whom you desire, will come," says the LORD Almighty.

Matthew 24:43-44 (NIV) "But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."

Luke 12:39-40 (NIV) "But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have let his house be broken into. You also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."

2 Peter 3:10 (NIV) But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.

Revelation 3:3 (NIV) "Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you."

Revelation 16:15 (NIV) "Behold, I come like a thief! Blessed is he who stays awake and keeps his clothes with him, so that he may not go naked and be shamefully exposed."

14. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

May 4, 2011

I would definitely not listen to that station anymore if they are going to discuss things like that.

Do you have XM Radio? If you do, I recommend "The Message." They have great Christian music and I've never heard anything but Biblical, sound advice on there.

Yeah, no one but God the Father knows the day of Christ's return.

15. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 4, 2011

Good job, Tami J!

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 4, 2011

As someone who is not Christian (but who has read the New Testament pretty closely and has taken classes on it), I'm finding this conversation fascinating. It makes me miss the conversations I had with my pre-seminary college roommate, where we'd wind up with different bible translations open on our beds, comparing and contrasting verses and situations (Martha vs. Peter, etc).

I know, this sounds weird coming from a nice Jewish girl, but I have a profound appreciation for biblical scholarship.