Be aggressive!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by giraffe326, Aug 5, 2010.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2010

I was just reading something in a different forum. So, I came here to post a what NOT to do!!!

I am quoting this:
    "I don't want to sound rude when I say this, but I am glad to know someone else hasn't heard anything. I have a Master's and have tried to find a job in my field. I've applied for 10 jobs and I feel like I'm at Point A. Trouble is, every job I've applied for, there have been 100 applicants, give or take a few."

This was my response:
    "You need to be applying for more jobs. 10 is not that many at all. When I was applying for jobs, I applied at about 80 schools in several different counties. I went through 3 rounds of sending a resume, cover letter, and a CD with an electronic portfolio to EACH of these schools. I went through nearly 3 rolls of stamps that summer!!! I also sent follow-up e-mails.
    I am native to an area where there are 1000+ applicants per position, so I have had to be aggressive in my job search."

I know some of you live in areas where there might not be 10 jobs to apply for- I know- I am from Michigan :) But, all of you need to apply for EVERY job you are qualified for in your area! Where I live, my small county has had about 20 elementary positions and the person who posted this lives in a much, much bigger county. I'd guess they had over 100 positions. And they only applied for 10!!!

Good luck to those of you still looking!

3. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Aug 5, 2010

The problem is, in some areas, like Maryland, they do not post jobs at specific schools. They just say "oh we're accepting applications for the county." You're really just waiting on your application for the most part. I've gone ahead and sent out resumes and cover letters with links to my website to principals at different schools on the off chance that they have an opening, but all I've received are no's. That for me is the frustrating part. One county I didn't even make it into the curriculum interview round, so I've about given up on them.

I could apply out of state, but at this point, it's too late for me to 1. give my landlord notice and 2. move without stress before the school year begins. Let alone work out moving charges and repack everything that I just unpacked within the past 3 months.

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 5, 2010

DON'T just apply through the county website and expect to receive phone calls. You HAVE to contact principals, or you will never get a call.

Julie- just some advice, you are welcome to take it or not :)
    I was living down in Charlottesville and they were the same way. No job openings, when they posted them, they disappeared that day, I wasn't getting interviews, nothing. They went back to school in Mid-August, and I figured I was okay with just sticking with my waitressing job for the year. August and September went by and I was so depressed and miserable, but hadn't looked anywhere else because I had just signed a lease with a roommate in July. October hit and I just couldn't do it anymore. I had to be in a classroom, I didn't care what it took. So I applied with Fairfax and Prince William counties and contacted every single elementary school principal that had a job posting. I received a response from one P 10 minutes later, and set up an interview. I got hired right after I interviewed and had 6 days to move, and to take over a classroom from another teacher. It was crazy! The living situation was definitely not an easy thing to take care of (financially or emotionally), but it was worth it, and I'm so happy that I did it in the end. I am still at my school three years later and I love it! I don't know if you are in a part of Maryland that you could commute to Ffx or PW, but they both still have a lot of job openings, and will have some pop up after Sept. 30!

5. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Aug 5, 2010

I want to apply Ffx and PW but I'm about 10 miles from the MA/PA line. It takes about an hour for me to get to DC and about 30 minutes to get to Baltimore, so it would be quite a commute. I know the same thing happens here. Principals will hire within the first few weeks of school. I'm holding out for that, if I don't hear anything before then. I will be applying as a substitute. I figure this way I'll be able to get my name into the schools that I want to be in and I can still be in a classroom.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2010

Commutes of between half an hour and an hour are pretty typical here--I'd hazard to guess that at least half of the people on my street commute at least an hour to work--if it's at all do-able, I'd consider it to get some experience and a foot in the door.

7. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 5, 2010

Are you anywhere close to WV counties? I don't know anything about their school systems, but that might be another option. I know the PA market is even tougher than MD. About half of our staff is from PA... they all headed down this way because we are the closest state to PA that typically has a lot of job opportunities.

We even had a girl last year that came down from Massachussets a couple days before school started! She got hired and she moved down here immediately. Her commute is over an hour, but she was happy that she did it.

I don't know what your current living situation is, but is there the possibility you could sublet your place and move if you find a position elsewhere? I just feel like as someone single when I graduated, my priorities were 1)Job, 2)Living, 3)Everything else. The job was to decide where I was living. When I first started, I let my living situation be the first priority... and realized later that was the wrong decision for me. My job was what would make me happy. When I moved I posted an ad on craigslist, and I got so much interest in subletting my old apartment.

8. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Aug 5, 2010

What I meant was that it takes me that long just to get there, it would be another 45 minutes - hour to get to the PW/Ffx schools at least.

I know about commutes :) my internship was about an hour away.

It's an inlaw apartment and the family is very particular about who they lease to. I wasn't planning on moving out until I got a job, or at least mid-late July. My mom found this place and within 2 weeks of replying to the ad, I was moving in. So it was all her idea. I try to place blame that I can't find a job, but now I'm "stuck" farther from the main highways (in my parents' town it's within 30-45 minutes of 3 counties)

I'm starting to find more back up plans for this fall if I don't get a position including substituting, working in a preschool (I'm certified as that was my major before El Ed), going back to school for my AA in ECE, and ultimately if I still don't have a job by February, I'm moving to another state that I have family in and could finish substituting for the year there and apply for jobs.

9. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Aug 5, 2010

Thanks for posting!

When you say, three rounds, do you mean each school received your packet three different times? If so, did you change it up each time?

My local counties don't really post jobs. They just do an "all call" for a pool of perspective teachers. I did send resumes around to the schools within driving distance, but only once in June. I wasn't sure if extras would look industrious, eager, or desperate.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2010

Sorry, Julie...don't know that geography of your area. I thought your total commute would be between 30 and 60 minutes.

11. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 5, 2010

Giraffe, I'm with you. I have a friend who is searching for a teaching job along with me. Long story but I called her earlier to let her know there were tons of openings in my area and that she needed to at least email the principals. School starts tomorrow so they'll be looking to fill those positions ASAP. Anyway, she goes home and starts applying to a county that starts next week. What? But she is also limiting herself to just a couple of areas because doesn't want the commute and doesn't want to move (she'll have to move anyway because her landlord is selling the property).

Boils down to being agressive and doing what makes sense! If you want to work, you have to get out of your comfort zone and put yourself out there.

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 5, 2010

That kind of thinking wins jobs.... ;)