BD class- multi level lesson plans? behavior management?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by SheTeaches, Aug 4, 2007.

1. SheTeaches

SheTeaches Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

hi!
    i just graduated in may and got a special ed teaching position. my classroom is a self contained emotionally disturbed class of 6 students in grades 1, 2, 3. I've been reading their IEPs and in addition to being emotionally disturbed, all of them have ADHD, learning disabilities, as well as slight communication disorders. It's going to be a handful but I'm ready for it.

My main question is- should I start preparing lesson plans yet? I feel like maybe I should prepare about a weeks worth but because they are not your reg ed students who are mostly all on the same level, I don't want to prepare a whole lot of lesson plans and then have them be completely off level. What is your suggestion?
    Also when I do start writing lesson plans, do you have any suggestions for how I should target their levels? I am pretty sure they are all on about a 1st grade level. Is it okay to teach lessons to that level although some are in 2nd grade? I'm just a bit confused how I should work this having multiple levels in my classroom. It's not like in reg ed where you can just make accommodations and extensions... you need to basically make all different lesson plans??

Also- any BD teachers- I would love suggestions as to how you manage their behavior. What kind of incentives do you give? I am not a big tangible rewards type teacher. Do you think it is possible to not give tangible rewards in a setting w BD students? What's your experience?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

3. jnation

jnation Companion

Aug 4, 2007

We are in pretty similar positions although I teach grades 3-5 BD. Do you have any aides in your room? What is the severity of the behavior disorders (i.e. do they have restraint on their IEPs)? Do you have them for all subjects? I was concerned about the levels too at first. I advice doing some baseline testing on the first and second days of school to find some levels and see if you can break them into any groups for easier learning.
    I teach language arts, social studies, spelling and science as a whole group. I break into smaller groups for math and reading.
    For behavior monitoring, I use a charting system which was developed by our program long before I started the job. I also use a classroom token economy where they earn money for behaving appropriately and completing classroom jobs. They can then spend their money at a class store. They really like this.
    Feel free to email me if you have any questions or need any other help. This will be my third year teaching in this sort of environment and I learn more and more each year.

Edit: In regards to the tangible awards...I think it is very difficult with these particular students not to give tangible awards at first. They typically are very unmotivated and "beat down" by the school system. I've found that if you reward frequently at the beginning, you can lessen the amount of rewards as time progresses. You are going to have to spend some time getting them to buy into the idea that school is not terrible...Now, that's not to say that a friendly smile, a consistently calm attitude, and a pat on the back aren't important...these are all great ways to show these students that you care.

4. laf

laf Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I, too, will be teaching BD - 5 boys, grades 5 and 6. We do a charting system and token economy, but I have plans to start replacing some of the tangible rewards with other types of things (classroom helper, assist with aquarium, free time, and the like).

This is my first year teaching, although I was an assistant in the class last year. The priority of the program is: "behavior first, academics later." My first week will be spent on reviewing classroom procedures and expectations, as well as emphasizing social skills. Academics will follow when I see the boys are able to cope with the beginning of the school year and a new teacher - even though they know me, I was not "the" teacher last year. It was a difficult year for them - many staff changes, including three different teachers.

Patience and a sense of humor are necessities.