Bay Area Teaching Credential Programs

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by JDanko7021, Jul 22, 2008.

1. JDanko7021

JDanko7021 New Member

Jul 22, 2008

I would really like to pursue a teaching credential / masters program in the SF Bay Area. Can you please give me your recommendations based on your experience or knowledge? I have looked at Stanford, Berkeley, USF, CSU Hayward, St. Marys, and I'm starting to feel lost. There are so many choices, and they all have pros and cons. I'd like to know which are the best regarded in the area, and where I'm going to learn the most.

Thanks in advance for the help!

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 22, 2008

I got my certificate in Michigan, so I can't help you out with programs. But I did teach in the San Francisco schools last year and I have this to offer-be careful about where the program places you for your pre-student and student teaching. I saw a lot of college students thrown into terrible schools that needed warm bodies, and they were ready to quit before they even graduated. I'm not sure how the process works, but I think some programs use their college students to fill a lot of the really tough urban vacancies, which will be terrible to your self-esteem as a teacher and will give you a warped view on what teaching is really like. I wish you the best-PM me if you would like to meet up and talk teaching (I'm in the area)!

4. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

J Danko,
    Hi, I got my credential from CSUH now called Cal State East Bay in 1994. Not sure I would be any help to you, but the program was fast and inexpensive. I was done in one school year. I was hired right out of school, and taught for 4 years in the East Bay. I then had kids and stayed home for nine years. I am now getting ready to go back for my second year of teaching fifth grade outside of Sac.
    Best wishes!

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2008

Stanford has one of the best programs in the country if you can get in and afford it.

The CSU system started as a system of teacher colleges and teacher preparation is still one of its main focuses. IMHO CSU offers the best bang for the buck.

What works best is going to depend on the individual. Your are going to need to check out the programs you are interested in. Even in a given program, it is possible that different cohorts will have very different experiences depending on the student teaching placements and other factors.

If there is a district you want to teach in after you graduate, it might make sense to choose a credential program that offers student teaching placement in that district.

FWIW I got my credential through a program in conjunction with San Francisco State. The professor I had for my Curriculum and Instructuion classes was just amazing.

6. robinsky

robinsky Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I just finished up my credential at National University in San Jose. They're cheaper than Stanford, and they make it very easy to take the required classes - you take one class per month intensively in the evening, or many of them are offered online. If you're busy one particular month, you just don't take a class that month. It took me about 18 months from start to finish, including 18 weeks of student teaching (which they arrange for you). I already have a job for the fall (and I'm very nervous, but that's another story...)

7. ILoveGrammar

ILoveGrammar Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

Good luck with your choice. I got my credential out of state, but am considering going back for my master's in a couple years and have looked at some of the same schools.

8. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Jul 23, 2008

I'm down in Southern Cali, but I got my credential through Univ. of Phoenix and I'm sure there's a program up near you too. It's similar to the National University program robinsky mentioned.

Honestly, if all teacher preparation programs lead to a credential, why go the most difficult route? :) My program was one-night-a-week for 18 months, covered by financial aid, and I was able to have a full time, paying job during the day.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2008

I would be willing to bet that all credential programs in California are cheaper than Stanford's...

All credential programs lead to a credential, but what an inidividual will get out of each of them will not necessarily be the same. They all have to met certain state standards, but after that they vary greatly.

If all you care about is the piece of paper, then it doesn't make any difference which you choose. The best option then would be to get a district internship where you are teacher of record earning full teacher pay and moving up the pay scale as you learn to teach.

10. JDanko7021

JDanko7021 New Member

Jul 23, 2008

Thanks for the responses. I'm getting the impression that I shouldn't worry too much about where I get my credential from. Maybe I should place the emphasis on where I get my masters after I receive my credential.

When you write your resume (I've never seen a teacher's resume), do you list the program you received your credential from, or do you just list the credential?

I'm switching careers, currently working in corporate finance. I'm so excited at the thought of teaching, but it also makes me incredibly nervous... I'm only 24, maybe I'm too young to want a new career!

11. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

I do list the institution I got my credential at

12. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Jul 23, 2008

I was 24 (I'm 27 now) when I went back to school for my credentials. I was working in reality tv production. So no, I don't think you're too young to want a new career! :)

13. Will-Lynn

Will-Lynn New Member

Jul 24, 2008

I'm in the process of getting into the program at San Francisco State. Have you tried looking on their website? You can then contact their Education department to sign up for a Information Meeting and they will explain all paper work, due dates, and what else needs to be done.

14. dkskyy

dkskyy New Member

Dec 22, 2008

What's a district internship?

Hi,
    I'm in a similar boat as JDanko7021, but being from NYC I have NO idea how the SF school system works. I'm looking into various programs but I like the SF State Americorps Teaching program and also Stanford. What is a district internship and how do you go about getting one?

Thanks!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 22, 2008

The district hires you as an intern, chiefly because it's got a classroom need it can't fill with a fully credentialed teacher; you're the teacher of record, and you're simultaneously taking credential classes. You apply through a district; if no district in your area needs you, then either you would have to relocate or you'll have to get your credential some other way.

I don't know who covers tuition if you take an internship; it's worth noting that Stanford's tuition is rather pricier than SFSU's, though since you're coming from out of state you're looking at a hefty tuition bill at SFSU anyway.

16. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2008

If you're in an intern program, you're getting paid to teach by the school district and you pay your own tuition - at least, that's how it was when I got my credential through CSUN.

I agree that the CSUs give you the most bang for your buck - they were started as teacher colleges, as Malcolm said - and you'll work with very experienced profs. The Cal States also have continuing education programs, like the Reading Institute for Academic Preparation, which is for secondary teachers in any content area (and pays a $750 stipend).

17. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2008

Some districts run their own internship programs. Many are members of a consortium. The largest in northern California is Project Pipepline. Many East Bay districts belong to it. You must first be accepted by the program, then find yourself a job. Entrance requirements are the same as for a traditional credential program, e.g. bachelor's degree, CBEST, proof of subject matter competence, etc.

You can also do a university internship and get paid while you learn.

18. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Dec 23, 2008

I'm doing an intern program and I love it! It's had it's ups and downs of course, but I get support both from my school and from the outside program. I really feel that I am being set up to be successful. I looked at doing a credentialing program through a more presitgious route, but the cost and time involved really put me off.

I might have felt better prepared at the beginning, had I gone through more classes first, rather than at the same time as teaching. That being said, I think I am learning more from my classes because I am able to directly apply what I am learning. I can't speak to how much others have enjoyed their programs, but I have nothing but good things to say about my experiences.

19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 23, 2008

There's also CalStateTEACH. It costs the same as any CSU, you do your program work online, go to CSU Monterey Bay once per quarter for a full Saturday, and student teach for the whole 16 months. The first two terms you only student teach around 15 hours, then half time in term 3 and full time in term 4. Your professor comes to your student teaching site to coach and evaluate you.

Good luck!

20. Purple Elephant

Purple Elephant New Member

Feb 14, 2009

Does anybody have any advise? I'm in my second of four terms @ Cal State TEACH and I am not doing so well. All this work by myself, there just has to be an easier way. I honestly do not feel confident that I'm going to make it through.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 14, 2009

Welcome to the boards, Purple Elephant. Are you doing the online version, or what?

22. KateL

KateL Habitué

Feb 15, 2009

I did CalState TEACH - as far as I know, that program is only available online. And yes, it's a lot of work to do by yourself. You really have to keep on top of the deadlines they set or else you end up with way too much work in the last week of the term. Some of the people in my cohort formed a study group that met once a week in real life so they could help each other with the work. (I didn't meet with them because I lived too far away.) Could you find some study partners in your advisor's group? And Term 2 is much harder than Term 1, with the TPA and the longer modules. Hang in there!

23. suggestible

suggestible Rookie

Mar 12, 2009

Oh Kate Change you have made me feel SOOO much better. I have no teaching experience right now (going to start volunteering in a week) and I want to do the intern route through CSU. I am worried that if I DO get hired, I'll be in a rough school, knowing nothing about teaching, and fall flat on my face.

How was it your first day teaching? Did you know zero about teaching, or did you go into it with some knowledge of education terms and practices and classroom management?

24. LAeddie

LAeddie Rookie

Mar 25, 2009

Originally, I had wanted to do CalStateTeach, but it was only a multiple subjects program... at least then, it was.

:confused:

25. sfteach

sfteach Rookie

Apr 3, 2009

There is also the Bay Area Teacher Training Institute (BATTI) thru SF State. You work full time in an independent school while going to class at night.

26. samants

samants New Member

Apr 30, 2009

Can anyone tell me more about the BATTI program. Right now, I just applied to that program. I am also applying to UC Davis. If I don't get into those two programs... I'll have to wait a year to apply to more credential programs. What's the advantage going through a UC system instead of a CalState?

27. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2009

Very generally speaking, the UC schools take a more theoretical, research-centered approach to subjects, while the Cal States tend to be more hands-on and emphasize getting you ready for a job. I suppose the advantage to going to a UC would be if you intended to eventually go on for a PhD.

28. sfteach

sfteach Rookie

Apr 30, 2009

I did BATTI. I liked it. It is more expensive than if you just did it through SF State but you are a working teacher so you are getting a salary at the same time. I thought it was great because you take classes at night and you can literally take what you learned and apply it the next day.

29. samants

samants New Member

Apr 30, 2009

How was the night classes? I went to UCI which is the safest place on earth. I took night classes all the time at Irvine but I'm worried about the night classes in San Francisco. did you feel safe?

30. sfteach

sfteach Rookie

Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, of course. The classes are held at independent schools in the city. At by night classes I mean after work- 4:30- 7:30.

31. Terri in CA

Terri in CA Rookie

May 5, 2009

I got my BA from San Jose state. They have a credential program there. But I chose to get it at Notre Dame de Namur in Belmont. More personal attention there. I am getting my Masters from National University right now.

32. Artist823

Artist823 Rookie

May 9, 2009

What was the credential program at ND like? I'm trying to decide between doing the program at ND or San Jose State...however the biggest difference is money.

How much job help do they offer at ND once one is almost done with the credential program?

Btw, I got my BFA at a private art college in Los Angeles, so I have had experiences with a private college and how they tend to work.

33. no2vouchers

no2vouchers New Member

Feb 26, 2010

Stanford Program Overrated

I did Stanford's STEP program and got nothing out of it, except tons of debt and a strong feeling I should have gone elsewhere...

34. jessicaangeline

jessicaangeline New Member

Oct 28, 2010

Hi Robinsky, i am considering enrolling at National University. Any pointers? I am located in the East bay so hoping to do my student teaching there. How accomadating were they on that?

35. jessicaangeline

jessicaangeline New Member

Oct 28, 2010

Hi Terri, how was your time at National University. Were they very accomodating with where you wanted to do your student teaching?

36. Katisop99

Katisop99 Rookie

Nov 16, 2010

I went to a ranked program in California, and I have noticed that having a "name" school got me a lot of interviews, which is especially difficult in this economy. UCB is a direct feeder in Berkeley Unified as well.

The debt and "theory" aspect is something to consider too. I agree with it.

The most important thing to note is that both Stanford and Berkeley's programs are for working in the inner-city. If that does not interest you, save yourself the grief and go to a CSU. I know a lot of people who were very unhappy with their decision to go to those schools because of that factor.

37. Rubel

Rubel Rookie

May 4, 2011

I'm headed to Cal State East Bay in Hayward this summer. My choices were more narrow due to having to make my decision at the last minute this February; many school don't take applications that late in the game, and it has been a scramble even on Cal State's more lenient schedule. Having talked it over some other teacher friends, I think I'll get what I need from this inexpensive and practical program.

Another tempting part of this program is that it takes only one year to get your credential, with an optional second year (which can start after working for a few years) to complete a M.S. I like the flexibility, and my wife likes me minimizing my time out of a job ;)

Another option which hasn't been mentioned is Mills. I think it's similar to the other private schools in that you learn some amazing things and get amazing amounts of debt. My friend who went there has mixed feelings, but she's also a wonderful elementary teacher, so maybe it worked out for the best...so long as the schools don't lay off everyone.

Last edited: May 4, 2011