Bathroom use ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Heathermeister, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Heathermeister

Heathermeister Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I need help coming up with a bathroom policy. I don't want my students to overuse going to the bathroom during class time. I usually remind them to use the bathroom when I dismiss them for recess and lunch and since they are 5th graders, I expect them to use their time wisely. If a student doesn't use the bathroom at all during classtime during the week, I usually give them a treat. This year I have two students with medical conditions who need to use the bathroom frequently. I don't want to leave them out of the rewards so I need to change my policy for this school year. Any good ideas????? I'm at a loss about what to do. How do you handle using the bathroom during classtime??

:help::help::help:

3. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Aug 11, 2008

I've worked for two different districts. One district if you let them go all the time you were considered as a lenient teacher (negative). The other district you were not allowed to deny a child's right to use the restroom or you would have PTL all over you. I believe there should be a balance. I work with younger children who have small bladders. I wouldn't deny their right to use the restroom. However the frequent users would be reminded more often at recess to use the restroom. But for older children I'm not sure how I would handle it. As a sub I did notice that they would take more advantage than the younger children.