bathroom policy

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Jill6, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Jill6

Jill6 Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

Hi...I need some help with my bathroom policy. I teach 4th grade. The bathrooms were in the hall so I let the kids sign out on a sheet my two first years (as long as I wasn't doing direct instruction), but it didn't really work. The kids abused it and went way too often.
    Next year, there is a bathroom inside my room. Do you think I should let them go anytime there is not direct instruction again since it's in the room? Should I give them a certain number of tickets and they have to turn them into a box next to the bathroom so they don't abuse it as much? Or is there something else I can do?Thanks!!

3. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 6, 2006

Since it is in your room, I would let them go during work time, but have them sign the sheet.

I use the same system you used. I tell them at the beginning of the year that unless it is an emergency, they may go once (I only have them in the morning). If I notice that it is being abused, I will go to a ticlet system of 10 passes per quarter. I have only had to do that for two students in ten years.

4. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 6, 2006

I am pretty strict on my breaks but with the understanding that sometimes "ya just gotta go" more often than other days.

Last year, I had a class that abused the system badly. So, I used the notebook system much like you are. They could only use the facilities (be it the bathroom or drinking fountain) once in the morning and once in the afternoon EXCEPT in cases of emergencies. (I always do a demo about "how" they would be looking/acting if they were truly having an emergency situation.) In cases of emergency, they may go at anytime but upon returning must sign the notebook. During instruction time, they are not permitted to leave... only during their worktime. Once I noticed that there were some kiddos leaving more frequently I talked to the whole class about missed learning opportunities while in the "can". If that doesn't help, I talk to the child. My last recourse is contacting the parents with a "medical concern"... usually the latter is cleared up within the next couple of days. My sign-out sheet has colums for name, time out&in, and the reason for leaving. I love having proof! :p

With your having the potty right in your room, I say use the same system.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2006

Pretty much off topic, but here goes anyway.

I teach HS. One year I had a kid who, for 3 or 4 days in a row, came to class a minute late after a trip to the water fountain. I told him that next time, it was a doctor's note or detention. He said that he was being tested for diabetes because of his constant thirst. I immediately backed off, and Rob had carte blanche to be a minute or 2 late for a while.

A week or so later, I had to call his mom. (She was under the misguided impression that Rob didn't need to pass Precalculus to graduate, so wasn't concerned about his grades in the 50's) During the course of our discussion, I asked whether he had tested postive for diabetes. She politely asked me what I was talking about. I explained and there was a pause at the other end. It seems that Rob's DAD was being tested and as a result Rob knew the symptoms. The scenes that followed (both at home and school) were not pleasant for Rob. (Demerits for lying to a teacher....)

PS. He did pass Precalc-- in summer school-- and eventually graduated.

OK- back to your discussion.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 6, 2006

When I have a class that tends to get bathroom-itis I have a sign in area on the board. They are given 3 chances a week, then they start giving up recess time. (As I explain to them, they are taking my time, and have to pay with some of theirs.) If my class doesn't have a problem with it, I tend to just let them go as needed. I've talked to them, a lot, though, about making decisions when it's ok to go to the bathroom. I teach 5th now, and for the most part they do well with it. I taught 4th up until this past year and they did well, too.
    I do make a point of telling them about all the times they have to go to the bathroom outside of the classroom. I tell them whether they think they have to go or not, it is there job to go before school, at morning recess, after lunch, and at canteen recess. If the do that, then there won't be that many emergencies in class.

7. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 6, 2006

My whole grade level goes to the bathroom once in the am and once in the pm. There are a few kids who always have to go at certain times, I just let them.

I don't know what to do with the bathroom in your room. I'd probably still have us all go at the same time, just take 15 min or so 2x a day and break for it.

If you're self contained, I did something my first year to cut down on the bathroom & pencil sharpening. I bought enough library book pockets for every child. I put them up like a bulletin board. Each child had 3 popsicle sticks with their name on it. They could use all 3 for the week, or save them all. When they had to go to the bathroom or sharpen their pencil outside of the allotted time, they had to pull a stick. At the end of the week, someone tallied the leftovers. I create a prize system for the leftover sticks. So the kids who were not using the sticks got rewarded. They liked it. I think I may still have the rules and prizes in a word file. If you want them, PM me.

eta: I forgot to be specific. The popsicle sticks were in the library pocket. Theytook them out and put them in a bag when they used it. **Just watch for stealing**

8. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 6, 2006

Christy -- You are right inside my head! That's exactly what I told my kids. The kids were expected to be responsible and go to the restroom before school, at recess, lunch, and during play centers. If they had to go any other time, they had to "pay" me with their center time. 5 minutes per restroom visit. I always tell my kids, "If you waste my time, I am going to waste yours!" They know this so well they would even tell their friends the same thing if someone was disruptive during instruction -- it's hysterical to hear a 4 year old say "You're wasting the teacher's time and she's going to waste your center time." :)

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 6, 2006

:D Isn't it funny to have them "know" you even before they've been in your class?

10. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 6, 2006

My children's fourth grade teachers both used the agenda system: nine hallway passes for 'whatever' per nine week grading period. When the passes were all used, no more till the next grading period started. Their teachers told the classes at the beginning of the year that in case of emergency, of course, a student could go to the bathroom without a pass. And at the end of the school day, the parent of the child with the 'emergency' would be notified that their child had had an emergency. "Emergencies are something your parents must be told about, every time," the teachers announced.

Funny coincidence, that the number of emergencies dwindled down to a small handful of genuine ones, huh.

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 6, 2006

Jane, that sounds similar to what my 9th grade biology teacher used...

We all had to have a folder for his class, and into each folder was stapled 4 "red passes." Red passes were good for 5 minutes out of class... whatever we needed them for... locker, late to class, bathroom, etc. No questions asked, you just turned in your pass. That's all you had for the semester. 2nd semester we got 4 more (they were cumulative)... and at the end of the year could be turned in for 1 bonus point each.

I still had all 8.

12. Jill6

Jill6 Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

Thanks for all the great advice! :)