Bathroom passes

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Bri120, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Bri120

Bri120 Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

I am creating my procedures list and I was wondering about bathroom policies for the students. I have read several things about them but I'm not sure what will work best. Could some of you tell me about your bathroom policies. Thank you

3. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 29, 2008

I only let my kids go either the first 5 or last 5 min of class, not during my lesson unless it is an emergency.

4. Bri120

Bri120 Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

How long are your periods?

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 29, 2008

I have designated "bathrrom times". I teach a 110 minute block. I don't allow ANY movement in and out of the room in the first and last 10 minutes. I split my class into two sections. I teach, then we have group/individual work, then we recap, then I teach an extention lesson, them another group/individual work time. They are allowed to go to the bathroom one at a time during the group work time. They must be responsible enough to not cause problems though (things like "but I was waiting", or otherwise arguing about who gets to go). If that happens, then I don't let them out at all for the next class. I've only had to do that once per class. They figure out how to be reasonable after that. Also, if I see a student abusing the privledge (taking too long, leaving more than once, going every single day) I will revoke the privledge for a specified amount of time. We've only been in school a week and a half, and they've already figured out the rules.