Bathroom Passes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DigitalDiva25, Feb 6, 2013.

1. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Feb 6, 2013

In one of my classes, every 10 minutes I have a different student asking me for a Pass to go to the bathroom. How do you deal with this? if I don't give them a pass, I feel bad because I know when I was in high school, I used to have to go to the bathroom almost every hour because I drank lots of water. The principal in my school is warning us about giving passes so now I have to limit the passes I give out. I just don't know what to tell my kids :(

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2013

Can you schedule a few extra whole class breaks?

Why is your principal warning you about giving out too many passes?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2013

What grade is this?

5. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Feb 6, 2013

I'm sorry what do you mean by scheduling a few extra whole class breaks? he didn't specifically just warn me. He was saying it in the meeting to all of the teachers. He mentioned that he saw students using bathrooms far away from their classrooms and the reason the students give him is because the bathroom near their classroom smells bad.

6. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Feb 6, 2013

K 12

7. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Feb 6, 2013

Our current bathroom policy is that each kid is given a laminated pass with their name on it at the beginning of the day which equals one trip to the bathroom during classtime. Once they hand it in to a teacher they are done for the day. They can still use the bathroom at lunch, between classes, or during their extracurricular classes (Art, gym, music, etc). It's worked pretty well although we sometimes still get students needing to go again in the afternoon. If there is an issue and a parent explains to us that their child may need to go more frequently we make exceptions. Otherwise they take a warning if they have to go twice and if it becomes a pattern we follow up with the parent and then start assigning consequences. I know that sounds harsh, but otherwise we'd have to move class down to the bathrooms!

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2013

K 12????

In K, I take my whole class to use the bathroom at the same time. Then I don't have students asking to use the bathroom as much.

9. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 6, 2013

there is nothing wrong with telling a student that they can wait. I know as a teacher I wait quite often.

10. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Feb 6, 2013

That's rough! I know there are times when my female students need a restroom break more than once a day. Some worry about going during the class change because they barely have enough time to get to class. As an adult, I know I have to go more than once during the school day, but then again, having the ability to go during lunch/exploratory classes is beneficial.

Some schools in my area require students to carry their agenda in the hallway. Many have a certain number of spaces for "hall pass" for each grading period. If the kid uses them up, that's it generally. In my student teaching, I had a student who had medical issues, so they were permitted to use the restroom at any time.

Have you spoken with other teachers? Maybe someone else in the building has come up with a good plan?

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2013

Maybe your principal needs to have a consequence for students choosing to use a bathroom farther away.

12. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Feb 7, 2013

My own personal policy: I NEVER deny a child's request to use the bathroom. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! If they don't need to go, oh well, that's on them. I know myself that sometimes I can go all day teaching without using the bathroom and other times it seems like I have to go every 30 minutes. AND after having a baby, NO, I can't hold it! :eek: You never know what's going on in their little tummies. It can be very counter-productive if you have a child in your class who needs to use the bathroom and isn't given permission. As far as the principal is concerned, wait until he gets the first call from a parent whose child has peed all over him/herself. Then his attitude will change. I had a friend who peed on herself in 5th grade during standardized testing. Her life was miserable because of it all throughout school.

13. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2013

Telling a kid to wait and denying them the ability to go to the bathroom altogether are 2 completely different things. In most all circumstances, someone can wait a little bit to go

14. microbe

microbe Comrade

Feb 8, 2013

I sub for mostly middle school, and kids ask to use the bathroom a lot. Most of them are gone for a really long time, and use the bathroom break as a classroom break. I once had the librarian come to the classroom, dragging a student I had excused to use the restroom, and said he was goofing off in the library.

I have a policy of only letting one student use the restroom at a time. Kids still take advantage of permission to go to the restroom, but at least there isn't a large group of them being disruptive in the hallway. You can't imagine how angry some kids get when you tell them they can't go to the restroom as a large group.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 8, 2013

What about telling the kid who asks to go to the restroom that he or she can go but will owe you time at the end of class? One A to Z member, Alice, has used this with great success: the kid who really needs to go will go then, explain at the end of class, and get sent on his or her way, while the kid who really doesn't need to go generally prefers not to lose the social time during the passing period. Obviously it would work better in schools that already have strong disciplinary systems in place, but it's something to think about.