Bathroom etiquette

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by terptoteacher, Jul 8, 2006.

1. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2006

What are some of your procedures/policies for letting the teacher know when a student needs to use the restroom?

I saw one classroom where the teacher had mini plungers. When a student needed to go, he/she placed the plunger on his/her desk. With a quick glance, the teacher knew who was out of the room and where. I'd use that, but we'll be in the same building and I didn't want to openly steal her ideas.

3. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 8, 2006

I taught my students a few basic signs (American Sign Language) like please and thank you. The sign for toilet is the letter T but I find that hard to see across the room so I told them to make the sign for R (restroom) which is just crossing your first two fingers and holding up your hand. It worked really well. I just nodded the go-ahead and they left the room.

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 8, 2006

My 4th graders get a sheet at the beginning of each month with 10 bathroom passes. These are their freebies, although there is an incentive to not use them, and they can still go if they run out, however, it will cost them. Most of my students ripped a pass off of the sheet and held it up if they had to go. I would see them holding it up and either nod or shake my head no. If I said yes, they turned the pass in to me, and they took with them the main class pass. I ripped used passes in half, and the sheet I gave them was a different color each month. This system really cut down on the number of times they asked to go. We used a token economy system in my class, and the incentive to not use their passes, was exchanging them for "money" at the end of the month.

5. terptoteacher

Jul 8, 2006

I've used the sign for toilet before, but I agree, it's hard to see from across the room.

My whole goal is to eliminate the interuption. With first graders, if I teach them the sign, they will raise their hand, say "Excuse me, Mrs. M." then sign toilet. Or worse yet, come tap me on the sholder while I'm working with a small group and sign toilet to me.

6. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Jul 8, 2006

More bathroom procedures

I worked with a teacher once who had passes for her kids to take.

When they went to the bathroom, the (blue or red pass depending on if they were boy or girl) went on their desk and the white (boy or girl pass) went with them. When they returned, both passes were returned to the hook by the door.

It was easy to tell who was gone to the bathroom by just looking at the desks when you were trying to find a child.

Another teacher I knew had those rubber things you normally use to keep your keys attached to your arm. The child would slide the rubber thing up their arm, go to the bathroom, and then remove it once they got back to the classroom. Her reasoning was that if it was up high on their arm, it would stay cleaner & wouldn't get lost.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  7. Texas Gal

Texas Gal Companion

Jul 8, 2006

I've always been leery of using bathroom passes because that seems so gross. What do they do with it while in the restroom? I saw some nice ones at dollar tree yesterday, but decided against them because of the germs. Gross... I'd love to use them, though, if anyone can come up with a solution to this problem!

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 8, 2006

I like the sign-language idea. I might have to try this. I have seen teachers recylce small gift bags by having students (one for boys, one for girls) place a gift bag on their desk and take the pass.

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 8, 2006

Get plastic ones and wipe them with Clorox wipes at the end of the week or day.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 8, 2006

I have a frog theme in my room and found some cute frog restroom passes at the teacher store last year. I didn't want the kids to take them to the restroom because of the germs and also because they would mess them up! I just had them hang them on hooks when they left the room so I could tell with a glance how many kids were in the restroom. I also had a sign in/out notebook that they had to sign with their destination, time they left and time they got back. I used a digital clock until the last six weeks of school since my kiddos couldn't tell time to the minute very well until then.

11. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 8, 2006

The passes my kids take are paper which I laminated so they can be sanitized, and they hang on a string long enough they can wear it around their neck. This eliminates them having to find a place to put it while they do their business.

12. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 8, 2006

I have a bathroom in my classroom, and at the beginning of the year, I teach my students the hand signals they need to use to get my attention. The hand signal for bathroom is simply to raise their pointer finger in the air. I'm able to see this no matter what (whether I'm teaching or in reading groups) and all I have to do is nod and they get right up and go. It doesn't disturb anyone else in the classroom.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 8, 2006

The plunger idea is cute. But if you want something like that pick a theme for your room. Like if you picked frogs have a huge plastic frog they can stick on their desk, or bees.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 8, 2006

All this restroom talk. I am sitting here trying to figure out what I did with my class full of boys. We have a restroom in our classroom. I guess all that I was worried about was their using the sink in the bathroom and their missing the bowl -- eww! the smell. I guess I just taught them to ask during transitions or after they have set up to begin an assignment as they cannot go in the middle of a lesson.

I like the idea of their leaving something on their desk, as I could use a reminder as to who is missing or has been gone for two long. I actually found one of my kg. students sleeping on the floor in the restroom (after he was gone for about 10 minutes) -- he tried to tell me that he wasn't :).

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 8, 2006

I use the sign language.

I am not too sure on the Clorox, though- I am allergic and students in your class can be, too. Some plant managers also do not let their teachers use specific cleaners. Make sure your students aren't allergic if you get the passes to clean off with the Clorox.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2006

My sign language is a closed fist with thumb protruding between first two fingers (B, maybe for bathroom?) That way I know a kiddo is asking to use the facilities rather than volunteering an answer... I say child's name and nod yes- child gets pass and leves on his/her desk, signs out on laminated page at door.

17. Carla

Carla Companion

Jul 8, 2006

For my passes for the restroom, I use lanyards with a small restroom pass on it. The kids put it around their neck when they walk out. No germs from carrying it and I never have lost passes anymore. :)

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 8, 2006

19. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 8, 2006

That is the correct T but it's hard to see so I taught my students the letter R, crossing fingers is more obvious to old lady eyes from across the room.

20. terptoteacher

Jul 8, 2006

Those are all great ideas, but my whole point was for them to go without having to get my attention. Do you all think first graders are too young to just get up and put something on their desk to let me know they're gone without me having to nod or say anything??

I don't want to make a big fuss about it with the kiddos because then it'll be a big deal to go. I'm thinking that once the novelty wears off, the constant trips to the restroom will stop. I know sometimes kids don't have to go, they just want to leave the room or they just want to get the teacher's attention.

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 9, 2006

The teachers at the school I worked at last yr. Just had a pass the students left on their desk. They did not tell her. She would know by who had the pass. One girl and one boy pass, so there would only be one student from her class in the bathroom at a time.

22. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 9, 2006

If you want them to leave without getting your attention, I would definitely have them sign out so you have records of who and how often, to cover yourself in case of an emergency and/or in case of misuse.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2006

The use of some non-verbal sign (like the sign language discussed above) is a way to 'not make a big fuss' about it. I do however think you need to know they are going so it shouldn't be "just get up and put something on their desk to let me know they're gone without me having to nod or say anything"- first graders are too young for this responsibility.

24. terptoteacher

Jul 9, 2006

This is my first year teaching first grade. I taught 5th last year--if that explains my ignorance!!
    I guess I'll use the sign language "t" and also have them put something on their desk too.

Thanks!!!

25. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 9, 2006

That is the sign for "toilet" the t, that moves back and forth (or side to side).

26. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 9, 2006

In almost every school in Chicago -- the entire group goes to the bathroom together---(yeah a waste of time) but this is how we prevent things from happening with kids unsupervised. There are 2-3 scheduled times in the day and it is built into the routine of the class...

27. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 9, 2006

This year we had scheduled bathroom breaks when we came in from recess and lunch and specials, however, it did take FOREVER! and I always had a few straglers that we were waiting on before we could really start anything. So, I've already decided that next year, they need to make time to go during recess or use a pass. It was a huge waste of time this year.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2006

Thanks for clearing up the sign language question. :) It's a great sign because it's easy to differentiate from someone who wants to go to the br over someone who is raising their hand with a question/comment. Let's the flow continue with minimal interruption!:eek:

29. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 9, 2006

I observed in a 1st grade class during their small group reading/independent centers time... the kids rotated through reading w/ teacher, reading/ work at their desk, and buddy reading in the library (one of the library aides supervised it)... she had magnets on the side board, and the kid just moved their name to where they were going... library, bathroom, etc. It was a "quick glance" for the teacher and very un-obtrusive to her groups. I don't know how much time it took them to train the approrpiate behavior, though, this was January. ;)

30. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 10, 2006

This past year I had a poster board with little library pockets glued on (one for every student). At the top of the board were 5 hooks and 5 pockets. The pockets at the top would say "girls bathroom" "boys bathroom" "water fountain" "library" and "office". I stuck flourescent laminated index cards (with labels) into these pockets, and then hung the hall passes on the hooks (right over the pockets).

When a student needed to go to a chosen destination, he would first take the hallpass off of the hook. Then he would take the index card out of the labeled pocket, place it into the pocket with his name on it, and go where he needed to go.

I knew who was out of the room by glancing at the poster board. It's very easy to see a bright green index card poking up out of little library pockets. "Oh Bobby is in the restroom" "Pink card in Susie's pocket..She's getting a drink of water in the hallway" etc.

Plus, since there is only one bathroom pass for each gender, I don't have to worry too much about any trouble brewing:)