Bathroom breaks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kilikena0310, Sep 2, 2009.

1. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Sep 2, 2009

I am a LTS in 4th/5th grade. I'm starting the year for the regular classroom teacher, but she will be coming back in about a month. As a result, I'm trying to keep the classroom policies as similar to her policies as possible. Her policy for leaving the classroom for bathroom/drink/office/etc is to stand by the door and wait for the teacher to acknowledge that they can leave. They need to sign out, write their name and where they are going, and sign back in when they return. I thought this was reasonable, and it's a system the students are used to, so I implemented it.

We just finished our 3rd day of school, and I felt like students were constantly needing to go out of the classroom. I checked back through the sign out sheet, and they are completely abusing the policy! I had one student sign out to go to the bathroom 8 times in one day. That doesn't even include the 2 times we take bathroom breaks as a class. Unless this child has an undiagnosed medical condition that needs checked out, there is no reason for them to be using the bathroom 10 times in a seven hour school day.

I want to create a new bathroom policy to get this under control now before it becomes routine. My thought was to take 3 group bathroom breaks during the day. One in the morning, one right before lunch, and one after lunch. I will also allow each student 2 bathroom passes for the day. I'm thinking about a similar policy for getting a drink, and allowing 2 office visits during the day as well.

What type of bathroom policy do you use? Is there something that might work better?

3. iamlynn98

iamlynn98 Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

Well I only have my students half a day (we switch homerooms), but I only allow them to go to the bathroom once while in my classroom (of course if they have a doctor's note that is a different story). They are only allowed to go during work time - not during instruction. When they go, they have to move their magnet from the I Haven't Been side of the board to the I Have Been side (that way I can quickly look to see who has been and who hasn't). They aren't allowed to go get water, if they do they lose their bathroom break for the day. I do allow them to bring in a water bottle that has a pop up top on it for drinking in the classroom.

I am not sure why they would need 2 office visits a day. They shouldn't need to visit the office that much.

Some people subscribe to the group bathroom visits, but I think it takes a lot of instruction time and the kids play in there because they know we can't be everywhere at once to supervise them.

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2009

I teach 1st grade and we only have 1 set RR break time a day. My class knows to go before morning work is over. Then we have a class break after lunch.
    They can go during the day if needed, but not during whole group lessons.

5. mandabee

mandabee Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

wow. My kids have two recesses plus lunch to use the rest room. Other than that I give them 10 emergency passes to manage for the trimester. when they're gone...they owe me a recess to use it during class time. They learn quite quickly how to manage their passes and their recess time.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 2, 2009

My two bathroom passes were also my drink passes. The kids usually got a drink from the water fountain after they went to the restroom anyway. If they also have two drink passes, I think that is allowing them to be out of the room far too often, especially since you are having group breaks.

I also allowed water bottles, but after the initial rush was over, most didn't bring water every day.

7. shouts

shouts Companion

Sep 3, 2009

I put no restrictions on bathroom use, save for one boy or girl going at a time. They can ask for special permission in an "emergency".

I find that if students abuse it there is a reason - distaste or trouble with the material, not liking the teacher, being bored with the lesson. When things are going well they don't generally want to leave.

Luckily, we have a water fountain right outside the door, so students can pop out there whenever they want.

I think restricting bathroom use both shows a lack of trust and is prone to bigger problems (the embarrassment of an accident).

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 4, 2009

My classes are departmentalized. Throughout the day, they go at 9:30, 11:00 and 12:30. The students that need to go right before specials can do so (at 2:00.) I think that's plenty, but I still let emergencies go.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2009

3 bathroom breaks plus two passes seems quite excessive.
    We do no group bathroom breaks and my kids are allowed 2 passes per day. I will make exceptions when someone is sick. However, even those situations have been very rare. I am also much more lenient the first week of school.

You said 4th/5th- those 5th graders will have to learn to hold it a lot more when they get to middle school.

Also, what in the world are they doing going to the office twice a day?! Unless they are called to the office, my students very rarely go to the office. MAYBE one child a week- due to forgetting their lunch, being sick, etc...