Bathroom Breaks

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by cheeryteacher, Mar 30, 2009.

1. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2009

How do you guys handle a student that wants to go to the bathroom in your class? Do they get a certain number of passes? Do you make them sign out and then talk to them if they abuse the privilege? Do you have any students that have a medical excuse that you suspect may be abusing the open bathroom policy?

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2009

If they ask, I let them go (as long as we're not in the middle of something like taking notes). I rarely have kids who take advantage of it, and when I do I have a conversation with those students. Our school requires students to sign in and out whenever they leave a classroom, so the kids quietly ask, go sign out and grab the pass. They sign back in when they return.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2009

I let kids go.

If I sense that it's being abused, I let them go, but on the condition that the time is made up after school.

I'll never tell a kid he CAN'T go-- I think that's just cruel (and asking for a hard time if the kid really is facing a crisis.) But I can make it the lesser attractive option than staying in my class.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 30, 2009

I don't allow anybody in or out of the room in the first ten minutes and the last ten minutes of class. Beyond that, if they ask while I'm lecturing, I'll let them go, but I don't like it. During activity/seat work time, they're allowed to go at will, one at a time. I have a pass hanging by the door and they just grab it and go. I don't really have a problem with them abusing the privledge, and they usually don't ask to go during lecture because they know there will be a time when I won't get cranky coming up soon enough.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2009

I teach kinder, but I have some sneaky little kids who thinks I was born last night :D I also normally just let them go if they give me the signal or ask, but if I have a feeling they are going just to go, then I will say, can you wait five more minutes? If they ask again, then I know they probably do need to go, but more likely than not, they don't ask to go after five minutes. Sometimes I remind them to go to the bathroom and they say, "oh I don't need to go anymore":rolleyes:

7. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Mar 30, 2009

I let my students go as long as they let me know. They know I prefer that they go during a group activity or when they are doing an exercise of some kind rather than during a lecture or in the middle of rehearsing a song.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 30, 2009

I mess up with this all the time. My teachers have the rule that kids must go between class (rotations) instead of during class. I'm used to lower elementary self-contained classes so I forget they can't go even during seat work. Personally, I disagree but honestly I just forget. I do see kids abusing it sometimes and I try to nip that in the bud. Kids can't concentrate if they gotta go and as much as we are training them to wait and go at appropriate times, etc, their bodies don't work like ours do (at least for the younger grades). Also, sometimes we just need to get up and take a brain/stretch break and as long as it isn't abused that's understandable too. I don't let them go during the actual lesson but during seat work I am okay with that.

I recently took a Praxis Exam and because it said I couldn't take bathroom breaks (except between tests) I didn't ask. I didn't need to go before the test and about 5 minutes into the test I suddenly really had to go. I'm sure stress was part of it. I endured it during the entire test and boy was it hard to concentrate.

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2009

At some of the high schools I subbed at, I thought the bathroom policy was just mean. They had strict between classes only rules, and even stricter tardy policies. In a big school, girls don't have time during those short breaks to go to the bathroom, (especially at certain times of the month!), and get to the other end of the school on time. It always seemed a bit unreasonable to me. Even subbing, I rarely had trouble with kids abusing the hall pass. I always had the rule one out at a time, and peer pressure tended to ensure they returned reasonably quickly!

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 30, 2009

My kids can go before and after any special, then they get one break in the morning and one in the afternoon. They can go whenever they need, they just sign out and go (provided we aren't in the middle of lecture or something). No one has really abused it. I also do similar to mm, they cannot take their one break 10 minutes before or 20 minutes after we have left the room.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 31, 2009

I let students go as long as we are not in the middle of instruction. It's not a problem.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2009

If they got to class before the bell and asked me, they were allowed to use the restroom. I didn't let them go during class... to much vandalism going on.

13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2009

My kinder kids could go anytime as long as weren't on the carpet or during instruction time. If we were doing seat work or centers they could go.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 31, 2009

Oh, I also use the "can you wait 5 minutes" trick if they ask during a time I really don't want them out, or I think they're faking it. It's usually obvious by the response wether they can or not, and if they ask again in 5 minutes, then I know that while it wasn't an emergency, they did have to go.

15. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Apr 2, 2009

I see my kids 3x a week. They get one pass per week, and if they don't use it they get 5 extra credit points on that week's homework assignment. I rarely have kids go, and if they go, I know they really need to.

16. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 2, 2009

Our schools as the 10 minute after start/before ending rule to let any student out of the room-unless emergency obviously. If its a big problem like throwing up/nose bleeds I tell my students at the beginning of the year to just go-don't ask, I'll figure it out later. (I teach hs btw) I started out giving 3 a week and sign in/out...I became lax on it. I have been thinking about creating a punch card that I give to the students-only a certain amt. they can go in a 9 week period. I've not had a big abuse of it-though I'll have the same students each day go at the same time.
    I don't allow them to go during lecture-but once that is over, I usually let one go at at time-especially when its same gender wanting to go.

17. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 2, 2009

When I was a freshman in HS, my biology teacher had an interesting methd... and it must have been pretty effective because i still remember it.

Each semester, we had 4 (I think? Maybe 6?) "red passes." Red passes were good for 5 minutes out of class, for whatever we needed them for... running late, have to go to my locker, bathroom, whatever the need was. So you brought your pass up, he signed it, you had 5 minutes. If you were late, you turned in a red pass (unless you had a late slip from another teacher). No pass? No leaving. We were told to write our names on them, in pen, right after we got them, and stapled them into the front of our bio folders... that way we wouldn't lose them and they couldn't get stolen.

Second semester, we got a new set, but the first set was still valid... so at the end of the year, those of us who hadn't used any of them had 8 or 12 passes, and we could turn them in for bonus points. We also could earn homework passes throughout the year, they were stapled on the other side of our folder and were a different color.

I think it worked pretty well because it gave us some flexibility as to when we needed them, but it wasn't a big deal for the teacher.

18. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2009

I used to stand at my door and students could ask me to go as they walked in the room, that way I knew when I could start my demo or lecture (since safety was a big part I did not want any student to miss any of it) they knew it was a free pass to the "potty" Many times I did the "make up the time after school" route it just takes time for them to catch on.

One day I walked to my room for every other classroom (heck it was exercise) and I kept a list of the times so when a student would say they didn't have time I would point to the list on the wall, most students got the idea.

19. justfluttering

justfluttering Rookie

Apr 3, 2009

Abuse, abuse, and more abuse. My kids are as good as gone if you let them out that door! Seriously, I make bathroom passes and give them out to each student at the begining of the month. At the end of the month I collect them. The students get 5 points credit up to 25 points if they don't use any passes. My kids are always trying to leave class, plus if I don't keep track of who left when, I've had some kids leave for half the period. I've had to call security to go find my students for exceptionally long breaks. Bathroom, nurse, drinks, office, other classrooms the possibilities for trips are endless...

20. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Apr 5, 2009

:thumb::thumb:

21. Bubblehead

Bubblehead Rookie

Apr 6, 2009

I don't want to damage their kidneys, I let them go. You quickly learn who the regular abusers are and I let them know that in future they have to go to the toilet before class starts. Others can go at anytime. If they miss noters then it's up to them to catch up later

22. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Apr 7, 2009

I let them go, assuming some caveats:

* ID displayed
    * dressed according to dress code
    * fill out their own pass with time/date/to/from
    * I set a timer for 2,3,4 mins (depending on the situation) and expect them back by then

The requirements tend to weed out the fakers.

It has worked surprisingly well, and the timer keeps them from wandering the halls.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 7, 2009

I don't really have to worry about it w/ the kind of classes I work w/ (small grps for 30 min), but if you suspect they don't really have to go, tell them if they really have to go fine, but they're losing ___ points (or a part of whatever little privleges you give them). That's the only way to really weed out who's telling the truth.

I'll always find it strange that when 1 person asks me if he/she can go to the brathroom, they ALL ask me! It's the same at all these schools.

24. larana

larana Rookie

Apr 11, 2009

I feel if a student ask to go to the restroom we should let them go. I the child is younger you don't know if they child can hold it or not. If the student is older they usually don't abuse it.

25. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Apr 11, 2009

One at a time and not when whole class teaching is occurring. My campus has the 10 minute rule -- not 10 minutes into class or ten minutes before class ends. It's easy - if the pass isn't present then someone is gone.

26. azure

azure Companion

Apr 12, 2009

I'm a sub so they all want to go. In middle school and high school, I write "no passes" right under my name on the board. If they still ask, I say, "no," and point to the board. Then they say, "it's an emergency." It's a game--that's what it is. They just want to get out of class and roam the halls. I tell them they have 5 minutes every 50 minutes of the day to do that, and then they say, "I didn't have to go then." I say, "You should go anyway, when you have the opportunity." Some say they have a problem like small bladdar and are allowed. Usually teachers have that in their plans if that's the case. If not, I ask if that's documented in the nurse's office. That usually puts an end to it and they go sit down.

I've had kids tell me they're going to pee down their leg, and I still say no. I've never had anyone have an "accident." On numerous occasions I've followed these same individuals out of the room when the bell rings. They go to their locker, talk to their friends, and go to their next class without ever stopping at a restroom. I then confront them and say, "Don't even try to pull that on me again." They have a confused look on their face. "If you really had to go that bad that you were going to pee down your leg, you would have made a bee-line to the restroom as soon as the bell rang; but you didn't. You went to your locker, you talked to your friends, and then walked into your next class." They are shocked and embarrassed, and they don't try to con me again. The only exception I make is when a girl tells me, "it's that time of the month." Even then I'm sure sometimes it's a lie.

Wise up, teachers. It's the same thing with asking to go to the nurse with a headache, stomach ache, hangnail, "I just don't feel good." As a mom, I have pretty good instincts as to when a child is really sick or has a fever. If they say they think they're going to throw up, I say, "If it comes to that, just run out."

If a student tells me they have medicine in the nurses office, I usually call and check. I had a kid the other day tell me he wanted to go to the nurse to use his inhaler. Now I know you can't mess with asthma, and he had all the lines--"My chest feels tight, I can't get a full breath. . . " I said, "You don't look like you're in distress to me." So I called the nurse. "Does Bobby have an inhaler in your office?" No he didn't. Busted!

27. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

Apr 12, 2009

I give them a certain number of passes per nine weeks. Most teachers in my department have the same policy. Otherwise, there is rampant abuse of the bathroom pass.