Bathroom breaks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mollydoll, Sep 7, 2015.

1. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2015

How do teachers with no time handle bathroom breaks? This year, I'll have no break from 7:30-1:00 and kids can't be left unattended. I'm at an alternative school so the setup is a bit different; there literally is no one to watch kids for a minute.

Do you just totally dehydrate yourself? What do you do during inconvenient times of the month?

This won't be an everyday thing, but I can't say I'm not concerned about this.

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2015

Wow, I don't know what to tell you! I've always had someone around who could watch my kids for a second while I run to the bathroom. I also get pretty used to not using the bathroom for a couple hours at a time. But 7:30-1:00 sure is a stretch.

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 7, 2015

In your situation I'd be asking the administration for ideas. What do they expect to be done? And I'd be pretty frank about it.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 7, 2015

Far too long to go without a break. Admin needs to think of a solution. The longest my teachers and students go without a break is two hours.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 7, 2015

I once heard of a situation where an administrator allegedly asked a teacher to wear adult diapers (reason being she worked in a contained classroom with high - need students and breaks just weren't reasonable for the kids). Probably folklore.

7. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Sep 7, 2015

Ouch! I couldn't handle that. At my school, teachers get a 10 minute break around 10 AM to pop out and use the restroom since lunch isn't until 1:15.

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2015

I did check state law. My state is at will and has no mandates as far as breaks go. Employers are within their rights to require 12 hr shifts with no meal break if they want.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2015

I'd call the office and ask for coverage. If they won't do that, I'd get a note from a dr.

10. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Sep 7, 2015

Do your students switch classes?
    I lock my door and have my students stand outside while I go to restroom during class change. If not then I would just tell your admin you need a restroom break every 2 hours or so. Thats ridiculous to expect someone not to be able to go for 5 hours.

11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 7, 2015

For meal breaks and rest breaks. Bathroom breaks are not considered a privilege even in right to work states. OSHA compliance requires reasonable bathroom access and can't be unreasonable in allowing use. So, policies can vary, but time to heed nature's call is neither here nor there in regards to breaks. There may be no legal writings giving you specific bathroom breaks, but there are far too many other things to take care of that.

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2015

We don't have an office on site or class changes. It's a very non traditional situation. There will usually be two of us, but if one of us is out there generally will not be a sub.

I'll bring it up. I just hate doing that when I'm new to a job situation. This schedule is new also: in the past lunch has been in the middle of the day, not at the end.

13. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Sep 7, 2015

I would agree with czacza... Call the office to have someone come down for a minute or two. That is too long without a break.

I am sorry that is uncalled for you to not have a break between 7:30-1:00. When is your lunch time? There has to be someone to watch or at least give your a 5-10 minute break to do what you need to do.

14. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Sep 7, 2015

I go 7:45-11:45 without a break. I couldn't imagine having to wait another hour and change longer. I'm sorry you're stuck in this situation that doesn't have an easy fix. As far as that "time of the month" is concerned, I invested in a Diva Cup last year and it changed my life. I won't go back to using disposable products full time.

I agree with the other posters that you should call the office for a break when you need to use the restroom.

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 7, 2015

Is it a situation where you could have your kiddos sit in another teacher's room for a minute? Are there any rooms in the building that have a co-teacher or a para? Is there somebody you could work out an arrangement with (ie: if Teacher A has an 11:30 lunch, could you send her an email if you desperately need a bathroom break?)

16. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2015

We are off site, so no other staff or office.

17. lcr

lcr Companion

Sep 16, 2015

Thank goodness for that! I was beginning to think we were living in a third world country.

18. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 17, 2015

These are all good comments :love:

During a certain time of month, I'm planning each of my bathroom breaks - I can't believe that your admins won't assist at all.

There have been 2 times since I've been working at my school (this is year 6) that I've literally grabbed the first teacher I found in the hallway and of course they covered my class for 5 minutes. But my school community is just like that - we help each other when we need help. I can't believe an admin or fellow teacher won't take 5 minutes for you :(

19. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 17, 2015

Still that's poor leadership on their part. :mad:

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 18, 2015

Totally!!

If it gets really bad I would get a doctor's note. Have you asked around how other teacher's handle it?
    I work in a special ed school and we were told if things got tight with staff it would be hard to get a break but thankfully I've never had an issue. I have aides watch the class so I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

21. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 18, 2015

I was in that situation in summer school a few years ago. Luckily it was only for four weeks! I just wouldn't drink anything, which also meant I couldn't eat anything since I didn't have anything to wash it down with. I had a rough time with my class that summer and I honestly think a large part of it was due to me being cranky due to being dehydrated. I would keep a bottle of water in the staff fridge to grab the second that the last kid left.

22. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Sep 18, 2015

I agree. When I was in the classroom, I used to ask different para's and staff/faculty members not tied to a classroom if they could cover me for 3 - 5 minutes while I went to the bathroom. Maybe the admin would allow the para to build in time to cover you in their schedule. We often do this for pregnant teachers.