Bathing suit shopping, ugh!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 19, 2013

I have an overnight Outer Banks beach trip coming up next week. I'm very excited, but bathing suit shopping has been a challenge!

I don't feel comfy in a bikini, so those are out. I have a real hard time with one-piece suits because my torso is long, so the straps yank down on my neck or shoulders and the coverage on my chest rides too low. Adding insult to injury, my chest is teeny-tiny. I'm an A-cup. Breast implants are not for me but I can understand why some women want them. My chest doesn't fill even the smallest cups and the fabric just hangs or looks pitiful, it poofs out and it looks obvious that there's padding in there, not boobies :unsure:

I went to 4 stores yesterday and came home with nothing. I'm about to try again today and I'm dreading it. It also sucks that everything has been picked over, considering most places are holding half-off sales. Sometimes I find a great top but no bottoms, or a bottom that looks great but doesn't have a matching top. Some of the one-pieces look good except that it's so uncomfortable pulling on my shoulders if it's a halter.

When suit shopping, what's your biggest challenge? I just need a slightly bigger chest and I'd be fine ;)

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 19, 2013

Could you find a 2 piece that looks like a 1 piece? I think they make some that cover the torso, so they look like one piece. If you, you could maybe mix and match, either in the same style but different sizes, or a completely different style.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 19, 2013

That's what I'm hoping for. They're called tankinis, I believe. I just can't find matching tops and bottoms because everything has been picked over.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 19, 2013

I was going to suggest shopping online or finding stores that sell them as sets. Do you have a Swim N Sport near you? Around here they're fully stocked year round. That suit that Daisy posted is super adorable.

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2013

Can you order online?

Or try to find very neutral tops and neutral bottoms that go together? Like a printed top with black bottoms? Something like that.

PS- I love the Outer Banks! I can't wait to take my esposo there :)

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 19, 2013

Try the Swinsuits for All website. They have tons of styles and sizes. I have a long torso, and I love the tanking style. I'm also a size smaller on the bottom. I am overly endowed in the boob department, so even the "plus" cup ones aren't big enough.

The prices were reasonable. I got free ship.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 19, 2013

Often, tankinis come with straps you can add on to little hooks that are in the top. The tankini takes care of the torso length really well.

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2013

I can't help with the bathing suit shopping ... but I can say I do love the Outer Banks. Just a word of warning (if you haven't been there) the undertow at the Outer Banks can be treacherous.

So be safe and enjoy your trip.........

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 19, 2013

I would just get a bikini that fits then wear a tshirt or tank top over it. Don't go nuts since I think you are right that most of the good stuff has been picked over already

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 19, 2013

Land's End is usually a good place to look. Have fun!

14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2013

I have the opposite problem...it's very hard for me to find tops that even semi cover my boobs! I end up having to get the ones with really thick straps too (to hold them up, lol) which creates awkward tan lines. I have a plain black bottom and a polka dotted tankini top. They had matching bottoms but none left in my size. I think it looks fine!

15. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 19, 2013

16. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2013

Maybe it's because I'm super cheap and am always buying cheap bathing suits, but I can never find one that actually stays on my body. I'm not a sit around and tan type of girl, I like to ride the waves, boogie board, jump around, swim, etc and every bikini I have I'm constantly having to pull up or hold down. I'm tempted to buy a surfer's bikini! Has anyone used them before?

17. melnm

melnm Companion

Jun 20, 2013

I have the same problems as you. I don't feel comfortable in bikinis and have a small chest. I don't like one pieces either so I opted for a tankini from here.

http://www.limericki.com/WOMEN

It was more than I would normally pay for a swimsuit, but it fits so well, it completely justified the price for me. They also have free shipping today and tomorrow. Good luck! I hate swimsuit shopping!

18. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2013

I second Lands end.

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 21, 2013

20. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2013

That's the kind I just bought. I love it. I plan to get different bottoms for a better fit.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2013

kc, I really enjoyed that video!

(ETA: And I appreciated your fun fact.) ;)

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 21, 2013

Thanks JustMe!

23. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 21, 2013

I've been planning on buying this suit, but they also have a copy of it at Walmart (believe it or not) that I'm going to try on first! I very rarely swim so I don't really need a "quality" suit like the Esther Williams one. I never go to Walmart so I have to make the time and it hunt it down, but it's really cute and it's a flattering style for just about anyone. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Catalina-Suddenly-Slim-Women-s-Shirred-Halter-Swimsuit/17804485 OP, they also seem to have a tankini version.

24. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jun 21, 2013

I have that exact suit in black, bison. I love it and have gotten a lot of compliments on it.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 21, 2013

The last time I bought a bathing suit was many years ago! I don't care for the beach, don't swim & have no friends with pools, so I never have to worry about suit shopping, but good luck finding a good one!

Based on what you said your body type is, these may be flatteing for you:

One shoulder, but in a sizzling, bright color:
    http://www.barenecessities.com/span...&manual_cm_sp=SlotLocation-_-R2C4-_-SPANX1388

Sweetheart necklines give the allusion of a larger bust:
    http://www.barenecessities.com/mira...m_sp=SlotLocation-_-R11C3-_-Miraclesuit467123

Plunging necklines could be good. They look nice on models & many of them don't have big breasts.