Bathing pets

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by newbie87, Jan 9, 2010.

1. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 9, 2010

I just gave my three little dogs a bath and I'm tired. :( I ued to do it every 2-3 months, because they have hair instead of fur, but it was too much and I know I can't with student teaching coming up. Now, I do it 2 times a year. More if they get really flithy. I just pop them in the sink, blow dry, and repeat. Then, I clean and disenffect the sink. How often do you bathe your pets?

3. amochoa

amochoa Rookie

Jan 9, 2010

Our four dogs go with my boyfriend to work every day. He's a farmer so they spend all day outside running around and come inside when he comes home. In the summer we bathe them in the tub at least once a month, and in the winter, we bathe them about every two months. Sometimes they get an extra one if they get really dirty.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 9, 2010

I have cats...They only get baths if they get into something really stinky. I dont' even know when I last bathed an adult cat that was mine. I take foster cats, so usually those guys need baths right away, but that's normally a one time thing. When I have newborn orphan kittens, they usually get daily baths once they start weaning from the bottle. Before that, they gets baths every couple of days, and get wiped off after every feeding and potty time.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2010

My kitty loves water, and he jumps into the shower all the time! Silly cat...

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 9, 2010

Our dog got bathed about every 2 weeks. My mom took her running a lot, and she got smelly quick. Her skin is still pretty good too.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 9, 2010

I give my dog a bath about once a month unless he got dirtier somehow like rolled around in the mud or something which he likes to do LOL It doesn't take all that long in the bathtub. If you do it often enough the dogs don't get THAT dirty and it won't take forever to get them clean.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 9, 2010

We have outside dogs, so they usually get a bath a summer . . . sometimes twice. DH had a dog that never had a bath in the entire 15 years he had him!

The new dog is going to have to have a bath pretty soon because he likes to come in and take a nap every day. He's pretty stinky.

9. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jan 9, 2010

I used to bathe my dogs weekly but now it's a biweekly kind of thing. (Although my cocker spaniel is getting a haircut next weekend, so I'm not going to bother giving him his biweekly bath tomorrow!)

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 9, 2010

I give my dog (a lab/devil mix) a bath about every two weeks, more in the summer when she gets super stinky.

11. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 9, 2010

I give my dog a bath with shampoo/conditioner about once a week. If he's dirty from our walk in the rain, then I'll just set him in the tub and rinse him off with water so he looks clean most of the time!

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2010

Bathtime once per week. Fun, fun! :)

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 9, 2010

One of my dog's nicknames is stinky. Every time my husband says, "Hi Stinky" or "Come here, Stinky", I know he needs a bath LOL

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 9, 2010

TeacherNY...My sister's dog is called Stinky, though not because she stinks..or at least not any more than a normal dog. Her name is Mystique, and when my middle son was a toddler, he couldn't say her name and it came out "stinky". Ever since then, that's about all anybody calls her. Poor dog. She really is a sweetie.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 9, 2010

Winter dogs get a bath about once a month sometimes a little longer if they aren't smelly. Moxie the cat gets a bath every three to four. More in summer if she gets outside into rag weed.

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 9, 2010

Once a week. I am not fond of the dog smell. We are staying with my daughter, so we brought our new dog with us. We have a Golden Retriever, and she has a big black dog, and a cocker spaniel. A friend of mine came to visit me, and brought her big herding dog. What a mess!!!!

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 9, 2010

I forgot to mention in the summer we bath them weekly. They tend to find a lot of mud in the summer.

18. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 10, 2010

My two younger dogs used to do that. So, now, I hsve to shower with the door closed.

19. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 10, 2010

I bet he stunk.

20. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 10, 2010

We call our dogs smelly wellys. lol

21. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 10, 2010

Poor Mystique. :( It's funny the things kids say. I knew a woman named Anna who had a niece who called her Anntena (like the thing on a tv) instead of Aunt Anna. :lol:

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 10, 2010

Strangely enough, he really didn't! Well, he just smelled like dog.

I was an outdoor farm dog, so I guess he was in and out of the creek and pond often enough to get a natural bath.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 10, 2010

I have a 15 pound Boston Terrier, who has short fur. He never smells bad & is never outside to get dirty, but I bathe him about once every 2 mos. I don't need to blow dry him. It's wash & towel dry. He's pretty quick & easy to wash.

In fact, today's a good sunny day to wash him right now! :)

24. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 10, 2010

My dogs have long hair, so I have to blow dry. Besides, it's cold right now. :( I hope his bath goes fast.

25. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2010

I've had my new dog 6 months and have only given damp towel baths with a conditioning spray. She doesn't smell bad, so I don't bath her. I'm afraid I'll ruin her her healthy smell-good coat with a bath! She's the most naturally clean dog I've ever encountered.

I do clean her feet every day with a damp towel, because the pads get dirty on walks, and I check her ears for dirt. I've had to gently clean them a few times. And, today, I started the weekly routine of a nail brush with soapy water. I noticed that her nails were getting caked with dirt.

However, because I wasn't taking her to the groomer, her nails got too long and one broke. The vet was able to fix it with a close clip. He said that if I don't have her nails trimmed regularly, the quick will eventually grow longer, making the nails hard to keep short.

26. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 11, 2010

I guess it depends where you live and how big your dog is. We used to bathe our cocker spaniel-type dog every week or two because she reeked if she was out in the sun (we live in Florida!), but now we have a big, short-haired dog and she never smells. And it is a federal case to give her a bath. We would take our smaller dog to the groomer about every 6 weeks, so we decided to take this moose to the groomer, and the price was $65. That was just for a bath-I don't think they even trimmed her nails. So she hasn't been back.

27. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jan 11, 2010

I only give the pup a wash if she's especially stinky. In the summer she goes in the water a lot so I don't worry about baths that much. Right now though my dogs feet are stinky! I couldn't believe that it was her feet that smelt so bad the other night. She's getting a bath tonight!

I recently had to bath my animals a lot lately because they had a bout of fleas. NO FUN. I take my cat in the shower with me, and I have since he's been a kitten. He is so good in there and doesn't use his nails on me.

28. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Jan 11, 2010

We live on a cattle ranch and the dog goes to feed cows every morning, so you can only imagine what she brings home. If it is frozen outside, she doesn't get a bath because she stays clean, but if it is wet and she gets poo and mud on her, she gets a bath as soon as she comes into the house. She is a fox terrier, so she fits in the sink in the laundry room. Also, being a fox terrier, she loves to dig for any small, brown, furry critters. This will cause her to get a bath imediately. All in all, I would say, on average she gets a bath about 3 times a week. It takes about 10 minutes and since we're cheap, we use Suave shampoos. It doesn't bother her at all and she smells nice.

29. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jan 11, 2010

I wash my dog about every 3-4 months. She is a big indoor dog. She always smell like corn chips. I should wash her more often but it is such a hassle to get her in the tub. Also, after washing her, she licks herself and the corn chip smell comes back.

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 11, 2010

Well, my dog's nice & clean. I bathed him on Sun like I said I would!

How strange! A lot of dogs (& not just a certain breed) seem to smell like corn chips. I've heard it before on a dog show on TV. :)

31. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2010

My cat gets in the shower with me every day :rolleyes: