Bath Towels - how often do you wash them?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Jul 30, 2009.

?

How Often Do You Wash Your Bath Towels?

Poll closed Aug 20, 2009.
  1. DAILY

10 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. As Needed, but NOT daily

48 vote(s)
    82.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2009

My aunt would them DAILY. They would use them once; throw them in the laundry basket and she would take that load to the washer. I haven't had the nerve to ask her if she still does that; this was over 35 years ago!

My mom (me too now) would wash them as needed.
    We each had our own towel and I would keep mine in my bedroom.

So, I'm wondering what you all do?

3. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2009

When we were growing up, my father said that we needed to practice the fine art of "toweling"... which meant that you kept the same towel for awhile and you hung it up to dry. No one was allowed to touch your towel, but I never trusted my brothers, so I took mine into my room and hid it in the closet. Not exactly the best place to air out a towel.

There were a lot of us in our family and I guess he was trying to cut down on washing machine use.

I can also remember helping my mom hang the towels on the clothesline and giving my brothers' towels an extra little pat of dirt when I was mad at them.

Which was whenever I had to help do the laundry and they sat on their lazy ..... Ahhh, growing up in the '60's. Women did the housework. That's just the way it was.

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jul 30, 2009

We each have our own towel for showers. Every family member was assigned a different color, and we each have 2 towels in our particular color, so whenever one is being washed there is another for use. We keep them in our rooms on hooks on the back of the door...except for my dad, who insists that the towel doesn't dry like that. He uses the one towel bar we have in the bathroom and hopes that we don't touch it!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 30, 2009

That's so smart, TeacherGrl!

It's just dh and I, and we use two different bathrooms (silly, but he likes the guest one better). I'll grab his towel when I do a load of whites, as it's right by the washer anyhow. I'll do the same with mine. They are getting a bit ratty, as it's been three years since we got them for our wedding-I can only imagine if we did them every day!!!

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 30, 2009

I have never heard of anyone taking out a new towel on a daily basis besides Oprah.:D

I did have a friend who changed her sheets daily though. She was shocked to hear that we didn't.

7. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

AAARRRGGGG!!!

THIS is a pet peeve of mine! My two kids think it's gross to RE-USE a towel. I try to convince them that you are drying off your CLEAN BODY!...But they want it new each time. SHEEESH, these kids act like we live in a hotel!

I bring mine back to my room..and I keep it at least a few days.

8. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jul 30, 2009

I usually wash them after 2-3 uses...I hang it on the bathroom rack to dry out.

9. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jul 30, 2009

This is interesting. I didn't know people reuse towels. We always grab a new towel. They go straight to the dirty clothes after one use. I love the smell of a fresh clean towel after a relaxing shower!

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2009

Until I met my husband, I never reused a towel...which is strange because I grew up poor, so it baffles me why we used a new towel every day. I have several siblings, so that's lots of towels and therefore a great deal of laundry! I use two towels a day--one for hair and one for body--but I'll use them for two days.

11. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2009

I will admit that I, up until about two years ago, would use one to two (I have long hair) fresh towels everyday. Eek! I can't believe I did that! I now use the same two towels for a week or so.

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2009

I use a towel twice and a towel for drying my hair once a week. If I get some thinner towels, I will wash them more often since more would fit in a load.

I change my bed linens pretty much daily. I am not a neat freak, but I can't stand bed linens that don't smell and feel nice, fresh and crisp.

13. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 30, 2009

I can change the towels out after 3 uses unless they need it sooner. The sheets are on a weekly change... unless we are gone for extended periods during that week of course. The girls "slumber party" a couple of times a week in their sleeping bags.. those get washed every couple of weeks too as I need to take those to a laundry mat to use the big/industrial washers & dryers.

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 31, 2009

We use the towels once and launder. But, that is because I have lots of towels. In my family it was considered the thing to give linens for gifts--so I had lots for wedding gifts, and got more every Christmas. I had a grandmother who gave us sheets every year. Always nice ones from Penny's. After 30 years, the sheets are wearing out.

15. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2009

I think like your kids. We never use a towel more than one time. I do 2 loads of towels per day.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 31, 2009

I use a fresh towel for each use, whether it be a washcloth or body towel. I have so many towels I don't have to wash them for weeks, but when I do, I use bleach in w/ detergent to really kill germs.

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 31, 2009

Pretty much daily here.

18. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

We re-use towels many times. Everyone has their own "hook" to hand their towel on to dry. My girls are still small enough that they don't bathe daily (except the 10 year old), so I only wash their towels weekly (it amounts to 3 uses, usually). I wash our towels and my 10yo's on the weekend and midweek at some point.

We still have our wedding gift towels - from 12 years ago! Plus some others I've added in, of course, that match the colors I've redone the bathrooms.
    Kim

19. Irma

Irma Companion

Jul 31, 2009

I'm right there with you. I also bleach my towels to give them the extra clean scent. The sour smell of a dirty towel still sticks in my nose because when I was younger, we reused towels. My grandma's habit of washing with bleach after one use was something I chose to pick up.

20. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 31, 2009

We reuse our towels. It keeps the towels from being worn out so quickly. Plus, it's the green thing to do, reuse! Living down in NM has made a big difference, since it is so arid the towels dry quickly!

21. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2009

That's me. I use a new towel after every shower (that means sometimes more than once in a day in the hot summer months). I change the sheets every day because I LOVE the feeling of crawling into a newly freshened bed. Plus, my husband tears the bed up every night because he likes to stick his size 13 triple wides out of the sheets.

22. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

Wow, each to his own, but I am shocked at the amount of water and electricity used by changing towels or linens daily. We each have our own towels and after drying our clean bodies, we hang them up to dry. Hotels and cruise lines are asking customers to use their towels more than one day for environmental reasons. And our bed linens, alittle less than one week, because we shower in the evening before bed and go to bed clean. I am too cheap and lazy(and green) to change beds and towels all the time!:lol:

23. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

We change sheets once a week and reuse our towels, as well. When I was growing up, we used a new towel each day.

24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 31, 2009

DH dries himself with a washcloth :huh: and uses a fresh one every day. I use the same towel all the time. I have a hook to hang it on after I shower. About once a week I throw it in the laundry and then hang it right back in the shower.

25. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2009

I understand the need to be green and conserve resources, but I still have to do only one load of clothes and one load of linens per week so I am comfortable changing the linens daily. When all my children were home I did have to cut back a little.

26. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

We change towels as needed and change sheets once a week.

27. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

Growing up I would grab a towel from the huge stack in the linen closet and when I was done, it'd go in the hamper. So every time I showered it was a different towel.

Not until I met my husband did I start hanging my towel up to dry after use. At first I thought it was kind of gross, but there's really nothing bad about it. Everything's good, less to wash and why waste a towel you used once...what a waste!

28. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2009

Growing up we did them after every use. But now, my husband got me started on just doing them as needed. We have a ton of towels for just the two of us (our son has his own hooded ones!) so it takes us awhile to build up a load as well.

29. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2009

I use 2 towels- one for me and one for my super-thick hair.
    I do not reuse the towel for my body, but I do use the hair towel twice.
    In my family, one would never imagine reusing a towel. When I lived at home (and did not wash towels), I used 2 fresh ones every day. After I moved out, there was no one to touch my towel, so I reused the hair one. Plus, when I first moved out, I had to take things to my parents or the laundromat :)

30. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 1, 2009

I would always use a towel one time, i was one of those people who thought it was gross to reuse it. However, when I studied abroad in Ireland this summer, I brought two towels with me. One for the floor, one to use. This wasn't enough as I was doing laundry every week/week and a half, so I bought two more at the grocery store. So I reused each towel a few times before getting a clean one. Now at home I'm trying to remember to hang it up and reuse it! It does make for a lot of laundry!

31. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

We use a towel once and it gets washed. :)And I guess I should say with 5 of us, that is almost a load in itself!

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 1, 2009

LOL tell them that even in hotels there are signs that ask you to reuse your towels!!

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 1, 2009

I do laundry twice a week so that's when the towels get washed. I sometimes change the hand towels more often because they are used more.

34. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

It was that way with me. When I grew up we didn't even have a washing machine and would go to the Laundromat once a week. But, we still just used a towel once. But, when I went away to college I started re-using towels. Now, I re-use towels for a few days and laundry them. I bought some of the hair towel turbans (re-use those also) and love them!

35. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

We definitely don't get new towels daily. We try to use them for a week or a little less before we wash them. I also never use fabric softener or dryer sheets with towels because I heard it makes them less absorbent!