Basic Skills Test vs. PRAXIS 1

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by roshekla, Mar 22, 2007.

1. roshekla

roshekla New Member

Mar 22, 2007

Is there any significant difference between the Basic Skills Test and the PRAXIS 1? I know people who have had to take the basic skills and I have to take the PRAXIS... I would just like to know what to expect

3. marellano

marellano Rookie

Mar 29, 2007

I am wondering the same thing. I just moved to California (requires CBEST) from Virginia (requires Praxis). I've heard that the CBEST is the same as the Praxis, but I've never had anyone verify this.

It would be nice to know since I have friends who have taken the Praxis I and I can get ideas from them on what its like.

Anyone know for sure?

4. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Mar 29, 2007

Hi ladies. I thought I'd chime in here since I've taken both the Basic Skills and PRAXIS tests.

IMHO, there's absolutely no difference betweeen the two. Both cover Reading Comprehension, Language Arts, and Math and both cover them pretty similarly. In addition, both tests have an Essay question. Basic Skills is usually 5 hours and the PRAXIS is 6. Each part of the PRAXIS is timed whereas the parts Basic Skills test aren't timed and you can complete the Basic Skills in any order you choose as long as you complete it within the 5 hours alloted.

Oh!... and the Basic Skills test is a paper test whereas the PRAXIS I is computerized.

Did I do a good job at explaining the two?

5. marellano

marellano Rookie

Mar 29, 2007

Thanks Elizabeth! That really clears it up!

6. Suburban Gal

Mar 30, 2007

No problem! That's what I'm here for. :)

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 30, 2007

CBEST and Praxis I are intended to test the same body of basic skills: reading comprehension (which tends to include grammar), fairly basic mathematics, and the fine art of the five-paragraph formal essay. roshekla, I would expect that the Basic Skills Test you mentioned is pretty similar. Someone who can pass one ought to have no trouble with the other. From Elizabeth's description, it seems that CBEST and the Basic Skills Test are formatted fairly similarly.

marellano, just where are you in the credentialing process?

8. roshekla

roshekla New Member

Mar 30, 2007

Thank you Elizabeth and TeacherGroupie!!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 30, 2007

If you're wondering whether you could use materials designed for PPST or whatever for Basic Skills, the answer is broadly yes - just be aware that there may be slightly different emphases and that there are definite differences in format. Be sure to use the Study Guide for the Basic Skills Test (see http://www.mttc.nesinc.com) as your guru.

10. Suburban Gal

Mar 30, 2007

They are. My scores really weren't that much dissimilar on each test and the greatest area of improvement for me on each test was, ironically, the Essay portion of the test. So given that, I really don't think it matters much which one they decide to take.

The only decision they have make in regards to this is if they want to take a paper test or a computerized test. Some people are more comfy with paper tests while others do better on the computerized ones. If one does better on paper then they should take the paper test. If one does better on the computer then they should take the computerized one. But regardless of which one they decide on, they should know that it'll be tedious and rather eye straining.

I like computerized, but I also hate being in a small, stuffy room room on a computer for 6 hours. Therefore, I tend to opt for paper.

Also, one last point to consider: If you take the paper test, you very well could be locked in for 5 hours. They really don't like letting anyone out for bathroom or water breaks whereas if you take the PRXIS, the ETS testing folks are usually more receptive to it.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 30, 2007

Huh. MTTC and CBEST are both run by NES, and CBEST does let people out for bathroom breaks - it's just that only one person is allowed out at a time, so there won't be any answer-sharing in the hallways.

It's always a good idea to check an official test Web site for up-to-date rules as to policies like these. For example, it's official CSET policy that test takers MAY have water as they test - but there are rules about the container (driven by the idiot who tried to smuggle crib notes in on the back side of the label on a water bottle).

12. Suburban Gal

Mar 30, 2007

Out of curiosity, what's MTTC?

I thought this tread focused on the PRAXIS I, a computerized test, versus Basic Skills, which is usually administered on paper. That's why I'm asking what MTTC is.

The ETS oversees PRAXIS and does let you go to the bathroom and to get something to drink if you need to do those things. However, the NES who oversees our Basic Skills in IL usually locks you in for the full 5 hours. The NES who oversees other Basic Skills tests in other states may allow people out for bathroom and water breaks so it's a possibility those girls (if they opted for Basic Skills over the PRAXIS) may be allowed out. I can't say for sure. I can just comment on IL's Basic Skills and what the NES does and doesn't allow for it in our state.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 30, 2007

Then there's a lawsuit waiting to happen under ADA or something of the like, and I'm a little surprised that it hasn't happened yet.

I mentioned MTTC because roshekla's evidently in Michigan, and in Michigan that's the program under which the Basic Skills Test is run. It could easily be that the rules in Michigan are different from the rules in Illinois, in spite of the similarity in the tests' names.

14. Suburban Gal

Mar 30, 2007

Oh! Okay! Thanks!

In IL it's the IBST (Illinois Basic Skills Test). I can tell it's going to take me awhile to find out what each state calls their Basic Skills test.

Yes, I'm going to assume Basic Skills rules vary from state to state even though they're all administered by the NES. If I go to the Illinois Certification Testing System (ICTS) website, I can find out everything I need to know there in terms of test rules. I'm sure the NES has set up other websites for the other states as well so I assume the rules for each Basic Skills test is easy to find.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 30, 2007

As to it taking a while to learn all the tests, tell me about it...

The tests have different names in different states, though typically "basic" and "skills" surface somewhere either in the test name (CBEST = "California Basic Educational Skills Test" or the description. Best bet for finding out is the state department of education Web site.

16. marellano

marellano Rookie

Apr 15, 2007

Sorry about the slow reply, I've actually been spending my time studying for the test and I just took it yesterday! I chose the Cliff's study guide and I want to reccommend it. The practice tests on the Cliff's are much more difficult than the test itself and I feel that because of this, I was well prepared.

I am at the very early stages of my credentialing, and I'm actually not going for the teacher credential, but the PPS (School Counseling) one. I enroll into the program Spring of 2008 and I'm just getting my CBEST out of the way.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 15, 2007

That sense of relief - "Oh, this isn't so bad..." - is the up side of the approach taken by the standard test prep books. The down side is that many test takers get terrified by the prep and so go into the test prepared to be terrified some more. This tends to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

18. marellano

marellano Rookie

Apr 15, 2007

That's absolutely true! Once I started taking the test though, my nerves got a little better - once I realized that the prep is so much more difficult. Let's hope my scores reflect my confidence!

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 15, 2007

So the single best reason for you as a counselor to be to take CBEST, in my opinion, is for what the experience teaches you about test taking - in particular, to give you insight into the issues your future students will face.

20. marellano

marellano Rookie

Apr 27, 2007

Yes, though I had never thought of it that way, its certainly true. Counselors need to take the test in order to begin their internship, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have standardized test taking experience behind them.