Basic questions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tongo, May 10, 2010.

1. Tongo

Tongo Rookie

May 10, 2010

Hii! I´m brand new here (as well as brand new teacher). Your site is awesome, congrats. LOTS of questions have come to my mind this last 3 months as a teacher, but I really wonder about this: When do you know you are a bad teacher? or, How would you describe such a person? Since you always said what it takes to be a good teacher, and I also read that it´s different a bad teacher for a new teacher (so it´s just a matter of experience), Id like to know then who is the bad one:). Also, How was it when you started teaching?? Did it work from the first time? What was the hardest thing for you? I´ll be wonderful to know your point of view since I have no teacher friends to ask, Thanks a lot guys!:love::love::love:

3. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 10, 2010

Welcome Tongo!
    I don't have a lot to contribute, but there is a certain ego many teachers have. You won't find many admitting that they themselves are bad teachers, but they can sure point out other teachers who are bad!
    In terms of good vs bad, I do think a warning might be if you continue to make the same mistakes rather than adapting your approach if it isn't working. There is a lot of trial and error, since every student picks up information in a different way. If you refuse to make changes in your approach, and kids are not learning because of that, I think that's an indication of something wrong.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 10, 2010

I think a bad teacher is a teacher makes no effort to improve. Student teachers and first year teachers have a steep learning curve, but as long as they are willing to try to improve, they can become good teachers.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 10, 2010

I agree with jen. No one I know will ever admit to being a bad teacher. I have admitted to myself that I am not the best sort of teacher by a long shot, but I'm always working on bettering myself and that is what makes the difference IMO.

As to the other, nothing went smootly for me my first year. It was an absolute hell on earth, and no I am not exaggerating. I was living 8 hours from family and friends in a tiny town where everyone knew everyone. Among my students were the principal's daughter and the secretary's son. By October I knew I had a problem on my hands but didn't get any help in solving it at all. By February I was waking up on Monday mornings saying to myself "Just 5 more days. You can do this. Just five days." Of course the daily countdown lasted all week. By mid-March I was in survival mode and knew that I wasn't coming back. After that year, I thought I'd never return to the profession. Eventually I did re-learn how to love kids and teaching. Now I can't imagine doing anything else most days.

Teaching really is a constant experiment. Trying new things, discarding what doesn't work today and going back to it next month, remembering what worked in the past and wondering why it doesn't now, etc. The most important thing I can tell you is to be patient with yourself and your kids. WE all make mistakes, but good teacher try to fix them posthaste. A bad teacher will sit on her hands and do the same thing she has done for the last ten years without anydesire to change.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 10, 2010

I agree that no one is going to admit that they are a bad teacher, but a bad teacher is one that has no passion for the profession, does not care about the students, and does nothing to improve.

The first year of teaching is hard! There is just so much student teaching can teach you. You really learn a lot during that first year. No first year teacher is going to be prefect, even if it looks like they are.

7. pontiac8411

pontiac8411 Rookie

May 10, 2010

I think a bad teacher is a non-reflecting teacher. Reflecting requires you to think about it and decide what is good and what could be improved and there is always room for improvement. If you constantly stay in the same place, how will you or your kids ever grow?

8. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 10, 2010

I am the best teacher in the world!!!
    lol...that is what I put out to my school....in reality? Let me, honesty, list some mistakes that I work on to improve....
    Let say one kid is being obnoxious, my patience gauge is on empty, a totally different kid does some minor offense and I will overreact(We're on page 124! If you paid attention I wouldn't HAVE to repeat myself! Does anybody else not know what page we're on???)...yeeech....badbadbad!

I was correcting a writing assignment and in my head lightning (the flashies in the sky)was spelled lightening, as in what you do to your hair...when one kid pointed it out, I repeated that the way I was spelling it was correct....OUCH!!! badbadbad for not double checking or listening to the student!!!!:whistle:

One more (sniffle, I really am a good teacher!!!):
    I was adament that General Lee was NOT in the Revolutionary War and they were thinking about the Civil War....ye-ah....a General Lee was in the Rev. War....I quickly apologized for that one to the kid...I blamed in on Monday my lapse in thinking...is it worse that I was a History major???

So those are a few of my "bad" teacher moments...I do learn from them though, and I think that is one of the ways to tell if a teacher is a good or bad. Are they willing to learn and admit their mistakes?? Or does cockiness get in the way?

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 11, 2010

Who is the General Lee in the Revolutionary War? What side was he on? I have never heard of him either, so don't feel bad.

10. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 11, 2010

Hmmm... I would say that everyone has their bad days. However I would have to say that the following would constitute a bad teacher:
    - negative attitude
    -uncooperative
    -isn't willing to contribute
    -does the bare minimum
    -students are not engaged in their lessons
    -worksheets are a constant and teaching is a minimum
    -no proactive or scholarly are not adjectives I would use to describe them

*sigh* can you tell that I have 3 of these on my grade level? 1 of the 2 are moving grade levels for next year. We think that Admin is trying to force them to transfer out of unhappiness because they are all tenured.

11. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 11, 2010

G. Lee was this kinda crazy guy who thought he should be the one in charge; didn't get along with Washington...he is a bit of forgotten, obscure history...

12. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

May 11, 2010

I personally haven't ever thought of another teacher as a bad teacher. There have been teachers who struggled teaching the population of students at the schools I have taught at, but I don't think of them as bad teachers. They are just teachers who haven't found the population of students that works for them.