Basic computer training - day 1

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TheManifesto, Aug 29, 2011.

1. TheManifesto

TheManifesto New Member

Aug 29, 2011

Hello Fam,

I'm a first-year teacher with a ninth-grade speech class in Chicago. I think I overestimated my students' abilities with a computer because I had them submit their first paper with pretty basic guidelines in a rubric (double-spaced, 12-point font), and almost none of them got it right.

I have the laptop cart for everyone tomorrow, so I am looking for advice on what basics I can work with them...just computer-related stuff like sending emails, research, using Microsoft Word, etc.

I have ideas about what I wanna teach, but if there's a defined plan or someone has done it better in the past, I'd love that insight!!!:help:

3. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Aug 30, 2011

You could take a paper from your past or find a news article and put it in a word document. Then format it incorrectly. Put any errors that you want them to work on. Then give them the guidelines to fix it. All of the papers should look exactly the same.

4. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2011

Keep in mind that 12-point fonts vary in size depending on the typeface, so if you're looking at printed papers you should also be telling them to use Arial or Times New Roman or whatever you want them to use. And, of course, that's it's possible they don't know what the word "font" means.

Umm, also -- if you have a paper length requirement in pages, some students may be clever enough to play with the definition of "double-spacing" or with the kerning on the fonts. Just make sure there's no actual incentive to attempt to stretch the rubric.

Also, your email address probably shouldn't be in your header. Putting something like that on the web invites spam, if nothing else.