Basic class RULES question...

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by rdpega, Aug 5, 2007.

1. rdpega

rdpega Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I am beginning my first year of teaching this fall (1st grade) and am trying to determine what my classroom rules will be. These are the 5 I think I will go with:
    1. Follow directions the first time they are given.
    2. Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
    3. Make good choices.
    4. Never hurt anyone on the inside or outside.
    5. Always try your best.
    My question is this: As a substitute last year, I found that one of the most common behavior challenges with students was when they would talk/shout out while I was talking (forgetting to RAISE THEIR HAND!) or talking to their neighbor when I or someone else was talking. I am wondering, what “rule” does this behavior break? I am thinking it is the “make good choices” rule, but I don’t know how to help my students understand that…. Your thoughts, anyone?

3. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Aug 5, 2007

You can add someting about being respectful. I use "We will respect ourselves, others, and their belongings." Not talking while others are talking and waiting to be recognized (raising hand) before talking can fall under respect.

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 20, 2007

I think it was Harry Wong that discussed the difference between a "rule" and a "procedure." If you are worried that your rules do not cover all of the behaviors you want from your students, you might want to read up on a little Wong! I think some of his stuff is great.

5. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 20, 2007

PS, with that in mind my class rules for Pre-K are all catch-all rules:

Be Ready
    Be Respectful
    Be Responsible

So far there hasn't been anything that they have done that I have not been able to classify under one of those!

6. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Aug 29, 2007

Our school wide rules (each class develops a personal code of conduct) are:
    Listen when others are speaking
    Keep hands, feet and objects to yourself
    Solve problems in a fair way - ask an adult if you need help
    Treat others as you like to be treated

and another one which fails me at the moment (it's late and I should be going to bed). Whatever this last rule is, obviously I don't use it often!

I am not sure about the "Make good choices" rule - it seems very open to interpretation

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2007

My school administrators have been having us read this book for professional development discussions. It is called Discipline With Dignity by Richard L. Curwin. Over the last couple of days, the staff has been having great discussions on rules vs. principals. And how to not make up rules for the students, but instead give them a say in the rules & make the rule process a collaborative thing. This book also goes into not coming up with principals for the students that are too vague. Vague means "Be Respectful" because everyone's interpretation of respectful may mean different things. I would suggest this book to anyone. I have learned so much from reading it & plan to tweak my behavior plan a bit based on some things.:)

8. lwteacher

lwteacher Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

I have my rules posted, and they sound much the same as yours. However, on the first day of school when we are going over them, I let them change them, throw them out and start fresh, or modify them to fit what they need. I do start out with a specific rule though that I steer them away from changing:
    Raise your hand and wait for permission to speak.
    This might sound tough, but shouting out is my PET PEEVE. It drives me NUTS when kids don't have that little bit of self-control and they cut off other kids and are disrespectful to them. Be respectful covers it too of course!

9. did2007

did2007 Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

"respect others".
    You can explain that the rule means ALL people under one category.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2007

In response to YoungTeacher, I have four rules:
    Be respectful
    be responsible
    be safe
    and listen to the teacher

Before I introduced these rules, I had them all come up with ONE rule that they think we MUST have in my classroom. Then, I told them that the rule they came up with will fit under one of my rules. Then I showed my rules and they had to come up and tell me where they think their rule belongs under. So, I have four simple rules and examples that my kids came up with- and they came up with some REALLY good ones too.

11. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2007

That's good that your kids were able to decipher which rules meant what. Sometimes kids are not able to think that deeply. Especially younger students like K-2 who may not be able to think to themselves whether they are being respectful. You teach 5th grade, so me & you are in like 2 different worlds.:)I try to teach the "respectful" stuff during our Peace Circle time when we discuss character education. What I decided to do this year is spend the whole first week on teaching the rules/consequences. But I decided to teach them "rights" and "responsibilities". Next to every "right" I listed a "responsibility" that goes along with it. For example:
    Right:I have the right to come to school to learn.
    Responsibility:I have the responsibility not to distract other's from learning.

I plan to teach this all week and hopefully they will gain a deeper understanding of the classroom "rules" and how their actions affect others. Hmmmm?? We'll see how it goes.;)

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2007

Right, we are in two different worlds. When I taught kinder, I did have five specific rules and we, of course talked about them and modeled them. My rules were something like:
    walk
    raise your hand
    be nice to your friends

These worked perfectly. They were also numbered and I would say, you are breaking our rule number _. It worked very well.

13. rogue0208

rogue0208 Companion

Sep 5, 2007

I like this idea, I just find that I have a hard time explaining the difference between "right" and "responsibility". How do you get them to understand the difference?