Basement?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MrsC, Jan 27, 2014.

1. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 28, 2014

We have a basement but do not use it for much storage. Down there is water pump, water heater and some things on shelves. It is prone to getting wet and even flooding so there's not much we can do down there. We have wood siding. I would LOVE stucco!

2. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2014

Mrs. C~ I am loving learning about things that are common to the different regions of the world. Thanks for starting this thread.

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 28, 2014

Are basements common in your area? Here in Southern Ontario, almost all homes have a full basement. Yes, they are in Wisconsin. I don't know anyone without a basement, other than my dad.

What is the common exterior finish of homes in your area? Brick exteriors are the norm here. Siding and/or brick. Our home contains both. I think siding is more popular.

It seems like garages can also be regional (at least this is what I've noticed from watching House Hunters ;) ). I've never seen a house without a garage.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 28, 2014

Speaking of garages, I had one with a closed door overseas on a small island and they were catering to Americans. The locals did not use doors on garages. I quickly discovered why! The humidity got trapped inside the garage and created huge droplets of water and condensation on the ceiling and created mold issues.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2014

South FL - nope, no basement. Ground way too wet and sandy. Houses vary depending on when they were built - some wood, some cinder lock, some stucco. My place is stucco on the first floor, vinyl siding on the second floor.

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2014

In Central New York basements are common (probably about 75% of homes have them). A lot of houses have either vinyl siding or are wood siding, but there are some brick houses and a lot of houses have either brick or stone accent areas by the entry.

7. davepweb

davepweb Rookie

Jan 28, 2014

The Norm

In Rochester, NY almost all houses have basements and the exteriors are siding or horizontal wood planks painted and put over the brick.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 28, 2014

:whistle:
    The house we bought doesn't have one, but that is extremely rare. This house was built by a blind man so he didn't have the need for one. It's one of the things we will add when we remodel.