Basement Classroom Decorating Help

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SuperLily, Jul 31, 2012.

1. SuperLily

SuperLily New Member

Jul 31, 2012

I was just assigned my new classroom... In the BASEMENT of our building!! Understandably, they had to move the Middle School down there because our program is growing, but it is an AWFUL room to teach in! Little to no natural light, no shelving or storage built in... I feel like I've been robbed!

All complaining aside, I need help. I am by no means a great decorator and was hoping other teacher people would have some ideas to help brighten up my dungeon! Anyone in a similar situation or have any ideas?

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 31, 2012

My 1st thought was bright colors and lamps. At least you can probably make more noise down there than you can upstairs.

4. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jul 31, 2012

Are you allowed to paint? If so, I would have the class paint a mural of some type. My son's preschool was in the basement of an elementary school. It always gave me the feeling of going into a dungeon. However, the teacher said she loved it because the kids could make all the noise they wanted, as AlwaysAttend has suggested. My child didn't seem to mind either.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2012

I would cover the wall with bright colored bedsheets. You could also add lots of homey touches like lamps, plants, et cetera.

6. MissApple

MissApple Companion

Aug 1, 2012

See if there are any unused bookshelves in your school before buying your own. I really lucked out last year when I asked and the front office had a nice really sturdy one sitting in storage.

If the room is small, avoid overcrowding the walls. The cramped walls will make the room feel even tighter.

Try to find some plants that don't need much sunlight. They'll add some color, the illusion of access to the outside, and freshen the air. If there's absolutely no natural light in the room, get smaller plants you can bring home or stick in a colleagues room for the weekend maybe? (I have a black thumb so do your own research on that :lol:)

Pare back on anything bulky. In my dungeon room last year, my kids had folders instead of binders. Not as useful in my opinion, but they all fit in a magazine holder on the bookshelf without taking up much space.

You could always come up with a theme to match the basement room too. If you teach history, make it look like a medieval castle. For science, you could have plant roots "growing" down the walls."

If you can't find anything to make the room more comfortable, then feel free to acknowledge the situation with your students. Don't bad mouth admin for sticking you in there or anything, but express that you don't like the room any more than they do but you all have to make it work. Ask them what ideas they have for improving it.