Baseball Opening Day

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mr. D., Mar 30, 2008.

1. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Mar 30, 2008

I'm wondering if anyone has any lessons they use that tie into baseball? I teach sixth grade language arts and tomorrow is our first day back from spring break. The kids are always excited about the baseball season starting and I would love to build on that excitement in the classroom.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2008

How about how to read a box score?

Biographies of famous baseball players?

4. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Mar 30, 2008

Baseball!

Assign groups of students (or individual) to RTFO (Read To Find Out) a section (pages) of text -- like divide a chapter by topics etc. Pass out cards (4x6). Each student writes four questions from reading and answers on back of card. Question 1 is recall and equals a single. Question 2 can be compare/contrast = double. Q3 paraphrase = triple. Q4 Inference = HR. Divide class in half. Draw diamond on board. Half class plays against other half. Captains choose pitcher (reads question) and batter (chooses "pitch" - single, double etc.). Play continues like baseball -- 3 outs etc. Option-- can have students use text to find answer (timed) then call on batter.

5. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Mar 30, 2008

I always read Casey At the Bat on opening day. Then I'm going to have my students write a poem about baseball - something out of one of the old Mailbox books where the poem is written on the baseball diamond.