Basals and Guided Reading (groups)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ruby731, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Ruby731

Ruby731 Rookie

Feb 21, 2007

Hello out there. I'm trying to make a system that works. I have to use basals, and meet with guided reading groups. I plan on having five groups but I am not sure how to fit them all in! So my question is how do you use the basal with your students (as a mini-lesson and read-aloud or shared reading?), and fit in all your GR groups? Here's what I had so far for scheduling groups:

M-F 40-45 min
    Meet with two lowest reading groups during Independ. Reading & Response. I figured the higher groups could sustain that long reading time a little easier.
    20 min per group

M-F 30 min
    Meet with Med. group M-W, High Med. TH-F during literacy workstations

Not sure when to meet with the highest group. T
    hanks for your responses on how you use basals and schedule GR groups.

3. AuburnTeach

AuburnTeach Companion

Feb 21, 2007

I use the basal for read aloud, shared reading, and mini-lessons.

I have three groups and meet with the high group three times a week and daily with the other two groups; I see all the groups for about 30 minutes each.

I can understand why trying to schedule five groups is challenging. What grade do you teach? How many kids in each group?

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2007

I taught 4th and 5th grade with basals - many years ago. At that age, we didn't have learning centers, and I could only manage about 3 groups. I know the younger grades have more groups though. I had a lot of supplemental materials (file folder games and comprehension exercises) for students who finished work early, but I mainly focused on guided instruction on one day with one group and then that group would start the next day with related seatwork until it was time to work with me. I usually rotated the groups that way - if you were first yesterday, you're last today. I usually did whole group instruction first for spelling or handwriting. That provided some seatwork too. I loved using the basals.

5. Ruby731

Ruby731 Rookie

Feb 21, 2007

Well, I just finished long term subbing for the second time in fourth grade. Interviews and job fairs will be coming up so I just wanted to get something in my head in case they asked me about it. My goal is to have about 5-7 kids in each group.

6. 101dalmatian

101dalmatian Companion

Feb 21, 2007

I use the basal for my whole group instruction and literature books for small groups.