Basal vs Guided Reading (long)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 18, 2011.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 18, 2011

For the past 3 years, I have been given very scripted, prescriptive methods of teaching reading. The past 2 years have been using the Storytown program. Our district spent TONS of money on the basal program, and we were trained in specific ways to use it. In addition, for the past two years, we have been part of a program (Ensuring Literacy for All - ELFA), that dictated even more explicitly how we are to teach reading. The program was working, but there was no room for running records, or any kind of "workshop," reading or writing. There was LOTS of small group work. We had a reading coach who did extensive professional developments, as well as paras who took the "benchmark" kids for "extension" activities while the teachers worked with the Tier II and III kiddos, both during regular reading time and during "intervention" time (basically when we would be teaching science and social studies, if we could).

That being said... we lost the ELFA grant this year, so I have been thinking more about guided reading.. I still have to follow the basal, but so far, we have been given no guidelines as to how reading will be taught from here on.

I guess my question is, can/have you blend(ed) a basal system like Storytown with guided reading / reading workshop / writing workshop? If so, please tell me how it works. I can't seem to get my brain around it....

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 18, 2011

I am wondering the same thing.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 18, 2011

I do a version of the daily 5 (for my workstations). I think because I've never done running records, etc., that's what's cracking my brain.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2011

This Mrs. Vensko seems really cool- and she is from Florida like me. :) Her second grade resources for any Florida teacher who uses MacMillan Treasures are GREAT!!!!

7. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Jul 19, 2011

This year my plan is to use my basal (Treasures) along with CAFE/Daily 5. I'm going to use the whole-group weekly skills and strategies from the Treasures series as my mini-lessons. I don't plan to use the small group portion of the series, because that is where CAFE will come in.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2011

Debbie diller, jan richardson, marie clay,fountas npinnell are great authors to reading for guided reading. It blows my mind that not everyone does guided reading. Wow!!!

9. bryanmj

bryanmj Rookie

Jul 20, 2011

I also have to use a basal but I use it as little as possible. I also use the strategies and skills from the basal series as my mini lessons with D5 & CAFE. I no longer ability group. I do have and RtI group, but all my other groups are strategy groups. I have all of the guided reading books available for my students to choose from as everything they read during D5 is their choice. I do have certain genre requirements but they always choose titles. It's not perfect and I'm always working on how to make it better but my students are motivated to read. I love to hear how others are making a mix work in their classrooms.

10. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jul 21, 2011

I use the stories and skills from the basal as my mini lessons, and do a guided reading group or two while the children do one of the Daily Five.
    My Cafe strategies are introduced at the time that we work on them in the Basal. I also have used some of Debbie Diller's Literacy work stations as part of the Daily Five. For example, for "Read to Self", they can choose to read the books in their book boxes, read the room, read the poetry chart, or read their poetry folders. Of course, each of these things is introduced over time, and they don't have all of these choices until we are in the second semester.
    We're just starting RTI, so I'll have to figure out how the intervention group works in this format, but it should!