Basal or Anthology Reading Lesson Format??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Youngteacher226, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2008

I am researching how basals or anthologies are used in the classroom to teach reading. Can anyone who use a basal based program in their school (or teach in a Reading First school) please tell me how a typical reading lesson goes?? I do not have any experience with a basal or how a reading lesson is taught as far as the format and I need additional information for my research. Maybe post the format of a lesson. Or what are the kids doing during the lesson, what are they expected to do for comprehension? What are they expected to do after the lesson??

Thank you so much for your help.
    :)

3. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Sep 15, 2008

our basals come with a unit plan for each story in the anthology. We are not a reading first school but I'm not required to put my lesson plan in any specific format.

For example, this week we start Seal Journey

Today I will introduce vocabulary by acting it out (not using the worksheet that the anthology provides), we will make a prediciton about the story, set our purpose for reading and set up for the skill (this week it's main idea).

Our first "read" is the cd read that comes with the basal. I do not interrupt, the students follow along in their anthology. I want them to hear a fluent version of the story.

Over the next days we'll tackle comprehension, study skills, more vocab and the reading skill again.

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2008

Just a few questions:
    ~are they reading the same story all week?
    ~ how often do they listen to the story? And what are they doing while the story is being played?
    ~ what do you do for vocabulary?
    ~ can you describe the worksheet that comes with the basals? How often do you give the worksheet, before the lesson & after the lesson?
    ~ do you give them a worksheet after the story to assess comprehension?
    ~ do they read "round robin" or how do you handle the reading part?

Sorry for all the questions, this will help me so much in my research. I never observed a basal reading lesson so this would help me out alot to put it all together.
    Thanks, thanks, thanks!:)

5. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Sep 15, 2008

Hi there,

I follow a similar format to the one mentioned above. This year I have a class with a very wide range of ability levels, so we will be spending more like a week and a half per story, but that time also includes use of the leveled readers that come with the series, I use Reading Street.

In addition to the way the other post mentioned the way she conducts reading class I do split my students up by ability levels determined by DRA'S so I can differentiate my instruction. In the centers the kids are working on independent activities such as listening to the story on tape, using the computer to practice study skills, writing, spelling, working with words, etc.

Hope that helps! PM me if you have any questions :O)

6. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Sep 15, 2008

They work with the story all week.

Monday-introduce vocab and literacy skill, CD Read (hear a fluent reader)-they follow along in their book

Tuesday-review vocab, practice literacy skill (I pull pieces out of the basal to read and "teach"), I read story stopping to ask questions (the basals come with some if you can't think of any). We start our 4 square (BME, Connections or Character, Setting, Problem, Solution)

Wednesday-Practice literacy skill Partner or Lit circle read (alternates each week) (Add to 4 square), comprehension worksheet or project

Thursday-review/apply literacy skill, introduce study skill (ex. this week it's using an index) Read to self (low readers listen to the story again from CD). Complete worksheet on using an index (somtimes individually sometimes with group) (Write summary using 4-Square) Vocab and Comp quiz

Friday-AR test on story, finish 4 square, story project

I do 30-45 minutes whole group and then I run two small groups each day.

7. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Sep 15, 2008

Here is my plan...I alternate between anthology and novels.

Anthology plan
    Monday...intro vocab using contect with transparency from series, background, genre, skills intro, strategic reading of the story/test prep
    Tuesday...finish strategic reading/ skills/vocab
    Wednesday...story tape/vocab/vocab practice page
    thursday...skills lessons and activities/AR tests/guided reading
    Friday...review vocab/test

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 15, 2008

I don't have a specific format I follow, but my lessons tend to follow this pattern for each basal story.

day 1-read the intro article or mini-story, discuss the focus skill (cause/effect, character development, or whatever) and go over vocabulary briefly.

day 2-begin reading main story as a class, moniter their comprehension by asking questions in manual and expanding questions that I think of as we go
    Somewhere between these two days (or on both) teach mini-lesson that connects focus skill to main story
    day 3-finish main story, go over comprehension check questions at the end either as a class or in pairs with emphasis on answering in complete meaningful sentences (using main words from question in answer sentence)

day 4-sometimes their is a follow-up article or story worth reading sometimes not. In workbooks-teach reaserch skill and complete the excercise given.

day 5-Scholastic News if it comes in

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 15, 2008

A couple of variations to the above week

sometimes I have the kids read a story popcorn-style and complete the comprehension quiz in thier workbooks rather than read the story as a class. On occassion they listen to the story read on a commercial CD that came with the basal set. This is rare though as the reader on the CD is vvveeerrryyyy sssllooowww aaannddd cho p py with her wor d s. They tune out very quickly, but for stories with quite a bit of Spanish vocabulary it is the best option.